Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times

Advertisements

These high fuel prices are totally unsustainable in the face of a weak economy, stagnating wages, and high unemployment. Crude has fallen almost $3 today. What the past has proven is that the speculators can bid it up extremely high in the short term, but long term fundamentals always come back with a vengeance. China (an economic lie) just posted an "unexpected," massive trade deficit, and it's becoming quite clear that the global economy is coming unhinged. If oil wasn't being used as an asset class, it would be trading at $30 per barrel, perhaps even less. I anticipate lower fuel prices down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
The higher the price, the fatter the state of Alaska's wallet gets. Stock market is doing very well (why I have no idea), so that'll help with the PDF.

Great to be an Alaskan, even though fleece socks and unisex flannel nighties are considered to be sexy sexy sexy!

Well, that's true about the State of AK doing better, and so the Permanent Fund Dividend. But at the same time, one loses a large portion of one's paycheck to cover the added expense.

What one ca do is to work longer hours or get a second job, but those on fixed incomes who may not be able to work or just get a job, may have to move to other locations where they can survive. This happens all the time in Alaska.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I agree. On tuesday I got gas for $3.70 at one of those Wholesale Clubs here in Anchorage. It seems they take a few extra days to get up to the going rate. One of our friends also owns the Shell Station on Boniface and Debarr. He facebooks when prices are going up.
I just buy it at discount at Fred Mayer. Yesterday I bought 35 gallons at a thirty cent discount each (from the month of February). For March I am already at twenty cent discount, so it will probably grow to 0.50 by the end of the month.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
^ Hmmmm... this sounds like a possible solution to my problem of "I want a full-size pickup but don't want to have to pay for all that gas"! Ha, no not really, but still, if I could get a discount like that, I might have much less of a problem eating the cost of that gasoline. I had a Z71 Silverado three years ago before I downsized to save on gas, and boy do I miss that truck! It was my rolling living room; so incredibly comfortable! And these new F-150's, holy cow. Those things are like super-luxury vehicles with a pickup truck body on them. ::drool::

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
If the price of gas keeps goin' up I'll have to sell my Hummers and buy one of them little Nissan thingys. What has America come to? Huh? Nissan, Hyundai? That's just not how I roll. Plus them little cars just don't look good with spinners on em'.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, that's true about the State of AK doing better, and so the Permanent Fund Dividend. But at the same time, one loses a large portion of one's paycheck to cover the added expense.

What one ca do is to work longer hours or get a second job, but those on fixed incomes who may not be able to work or just get a job, may have to move to other locations where they can survive. This happens all the time in Alaska.
When you give the wealthy $800 billion in tax cuts they're supposed to use that money to create jobs and not use it to drive up the price of black goo.

I want to be trickled down upon.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
What has America come to? Huh? Nissan, Hyundai? That's just not how I roll. Plus them little cars just don't look good with spinners on em'.
I drive a 2009 Hyundai Sonata and its a very good car. Built in their Alabama plant.

I'm sure a macho man such as yourself wouldn't be caught dead in such a vehicle. Walking into Lester's Bar & Grill and ordering a Bud and a bowl of nails would require you to have a monster truck sitting out in the parking lot.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I drive a 2009 Hyundai Sonata and its a very good car. Built in their Alabama plant.

And the profits from that went straight back to SunYoungMoon and his fellow noodle eaters in Korea. Way to go!! USA!! You've done your part to combat world hunger. Go ahead, pat yourself on the back a couple of times.!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
And the profits from that went straight back to SunYoungMoon and his fellow noodle eaters in Korea. Way to go!! USA!! You've done your part to combat world hunger. Go ahead, pat yourself on the back a couple of times.!!!
They say if you have anything really valuable to contribute to the world it'll come through the expression of your own personality.

Uh-oh to you.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM

104 posts, read 180,071 times
I had to start dring my old 1989 Nissan due to the gas prices. It's a little truck but gets me where I need to go. At least I bought it used for $500.

My Grand Am needs to have the heads worked so until I get more money in I will keep driving my 140,000 mile old nissan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks