Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:23 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times

Advertisements

Yes I know the profits go to the parent country, but in the places mentioned above they are employing people here and some of the money goes into the US economy, unlike many US companies who manufacture in other countries and keep most of the wealth for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Or if he's ever gotten one.
Roflmao....

Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,011 times
Well SunYoungMoon owns almost all commercial fishing fleets here on the east coast so does that mean we're not suppose to buy seafood as the money goes the the "noodle eaters"???
the beings of power and I am not talking our puppet politicans are going for global government...you better study up on Cloward and Piven and the Bilderburg Group as to what is really happening in our country and why the money is going where it is

American Thinker: The Cloward/Piven Strategy of Economic Recovery
http://www.unitypublishing.com/Newsl...Bilderburg.htm
Bilderburg Orders Destruction of US Dollar

Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Default Exactly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Yes I know the profits go to the parent country, but in the places mentioned above they are employing people here and some of the money goes into the US economy, unlike many US companies who manufacture in other countries and keep most of the wealth for themselves.
Yes.. couldn't have said it better... I believe I did state the "employment" of american workers.. but Stiff only concentrated on profit...

bigger concern would be our major ports... Dubai Ports World controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia should we stop shipping products because major ports are controled by foreign countrys?? What would happen to the majority of goods coming into Alaska?? We could go on my dear Stiff... yes i thought you said you had a hummer LOL

Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I paid $3.63 last night for regular down in South Florida. Diesel is at 3.85 or more...

IMHO, oil should continue to fall unless another oil producing country goes crazy. Still it takes a couple of months for pump prices to fall after a barrel of oil does.

As they say prices go up like a rocket and down like a feather...
Diesel is around $4.11 around Fairbanks.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket
I drive a 2009 Hyundai Sonata and its a very good car. Built in their Alabama plant.
Those are fantastic cars. My very good friend drives one, and she absolutely loves it. Hers is an '08, which was one model year before the new interior and engine upgrades that happened in the '09 model year. Even still, she loves that car, and on the occasions I've driven it, I found it to be quite pleasant to drive. It doesn't satisfy my "enthusiast's" affinity for road feel, but that's a small caveat for such an otherwise great car. That plant is about an hour away from my hometown of Birmingham, in the state capital of Montgomery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You can also do something else to save gasoline after buying the F-150: just have a fuel-efficient compact automobile to drive around, or just to drive to work and back, and drive the F-150 when needed. Once the price of fuel comes down, then you can drive any gas guzzler a little more.
Yeah, I plan to hang onto my Honda Accord when I get my next vehicle, so that will serve as the fuel-efficient car. It gets 27-28 mpg in the city and 32-35 on the highway. It's a 2.4L I-4 with a 5-spd manual, fantastic car. I'm thinking my next vehicle will most likely be a Toyota Tacoma (with 4x4 of course), but if I happen to find a career that pays well, and I'm in the position to buy one, I'm all over one of those new F-150's. It's just that the Tacoma can pull plenty of weight, haul plenty of cargo, get through extremely tough terrain (better than a full-size for sure), and it can get as high as 24 mpg on the interstate. Now, Ford is claiming that the new, 2011 F-150 gets 22 mpg on the interstate, but that figure is usually inflated. That number for the Tacoma is a real-life number that I have actually recorded while driving my brother's Tacoma to New York and back.

But yeah, I'm upsizing next time, because as much as I like the gas mileage on this Honda, I'm just a big guy, and I just like trucks, plain and simple. They're comfortable, you can see the road better, and they are very useful for just about anything you can think of. Sedans are OK for some people, but I'm a truck person. If I have to buy cheap deli meat sometimes or turn the thermostat down a bit, well, that's OK with me if I can be comfortable in my vehicle. I mean, you kinda have to when you put 30-35k miles on a vehicle per year.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 AM

879 posts, read 1,731,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42
I'm thinking my next vehicle will most likely be a Toyota Tacoma (with 4x4 of course), but if I happen to find a career that pays well, and I'm in the position to buy one, I'm all over one of those new F-150's.
I bought a brand new, loaded, Tacoma 4x4 back in 2003. Overrated. The motor had piston slap from the factory, the entire body and frame were underbuilt, and it got horrible fuel mileage to boot. I get better mileage in my 1 ton Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually. Just think about that for a moment. Most disappointing was the first time I went to step up into the back of the truck, the entire tailgate bent from my weight (220 lbs).

Old 03-12-2011, 12:14 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
$5.459 here in Bethel since fall.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I bought a brand new, loaded, Tacoma 4x4 back in 2003. Overrated. The motor had piston slap from the factory, the entire body and frame were underbuilt, and it got horrible fuel mileage to boot. I get better mileage in my 1 ton Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually. Just think about that for a moment. Most disappointing was the first time I went to step up into the back of the truck, the entire tailgate bent from my weight (220 lbs).
First off, I think someone sold you a Mitsubishi or something with a Toyota logo on it. The 2003 model is a very different truck from the 06 and up Tacoma, which is the one I'm talking about, but even the older ones were fantastic trucks. My friend has one that has 275k miles on it (01 model), and it's still running great. He has never done anything but regular, routine maintenance. Also, sorry man, your statement about the fuel mileage makes no sense. My friend's Tacoma was lifted with oversized tires and it still got around 17-18 mpg, which a 1 ton dually could never do.

I am just going to assume you got a lemon. It happens from time to time. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the best small truck on the market, though.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 AM

879 posts, read 1,731,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
First off, I think someone sold you a Mitsubishi or something with a Toyota logo on it. The 2003 model is a very different truck from the 06 and up Tacoma, which is the one I'm talking about, but even the older ones were fantastic trucks. My friend has one that has 275k miles on it (01 model), and it's still running great. He has never done anything but regular, routine maintenance. Also, sorry man, your statement about the fuel mileage makes no sense. My friend's Tacoma was lifted with oversized tires and it still got around 17-18 mpg, which a 1 ton dually could never do.

I am just going to assume you got a lemon. It happens from time to time. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the best small truck on the market, though.
This is a silly statement by somebody who is woefully uninformed. I bought a 2003 Toyota Tacoma SR5, not a Mitsubishi, and I got 15 to 18 mpg in it for the two years I owned it, before I sold it to a friend (who consequently still owns it). I own a 1992 Dodge W350 with a 5.9 Cummins which gets better than 20 highway, something the Tacoma never did. "Sorry man," but you don't know what you're talking about.

PS- My 2005 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 also got better mileage than the 2003 Tacoma. Also, google "Toyota frame rust" to further clear up those rose-colored glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks