Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Yes, he could have walked out. According to what he said on the story below, he was not in danger because the ice was about a foot thick and the water was shallow. It seems that he never asked for help, but passers-by called the police:
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Fairbanks teen doesn t believe he was in danger on Chena River ice floe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:46 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
At Mt Rainier in WA for climbers needed rescued it is now at the cost of the person needing rescued. I believe this is how it should be if someone decides on there own to do something risky or stupid from not being perpared for the situation. I am amazed at being put in jail for being stupid. The mainland would be beyond capacities if this was the situation for a stupid move.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:54 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
At Mt Rainier in WA for climbers needed rescued it is now at the cost of the person needing rescued. I believe this is how it should be if someone decides on there own to do something risky or stupid from not being perpared for the situation. I am amazed at being put in jail for being stupid. The mainland would be beyond capacities if this was the situation for a stupid move.
N. Carolina has an "excessive stupidity in public" citation. NO, that is not how it is written, but we all know what it means. It does get used a lot against drunks and druggies.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
This isn't used against people that are drunk or druggies but go without a guiding service. One it makes people use a guide which isn't right but .... most of the people who need to be rescued don't have a guide and don't know the safer area to go and are underpreparded. Mt Rainier other than McKinnley are the practice runs for Everest.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:05 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
After reading the followup story, and seeing that he also got a fine and community service time in addition to his jail sentence, this is just WAY over the top! Do the authorities have nothing better to deal with? He didn't call for help, he knew he wasn't in much danger, he knew he could easily get out whenever he wanted to. He admits it was stupid, but he certainly didn't ask for anything he got! Nor did he deserve all that nonsense they slapped on him!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:09 PM

69 posts, read 140,696 times
I have to change my view. This definitely looks like the city over reacted. Kid didn't want to be rescued, didn't ask to be rescued, didn't need to be rescued.

Of course, wouldn't the kids parents sue for millions if the city didn't rescue him and he died out there? Our broken legal system causes many of these over reactions.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The State mostly, I believe. A portion of the property tax in the Fairbanks North Star borough goes to the volunteer fire departments, usually the ones that stage local rescue operations at the Chena River.

A lot of rescue operations also take place at Mount McKinley, but these are mostly paid for by the State and the Federal Government. The last I heard a couple of years ago, there were talks about charging the people needing help for the cost of such rescue operations. But I have no idea if this plan took effect.
Denali climbers have been required to purchase "rescue insurance" since the 1990s. The more important question you should be asking is if someone forces a rescue upon you, are you still liable for the cost of that rescue? What if the kid said that he did not want to be rescued, or a climber, or a hiker? Are they still obligated to pay for a rescue that they neither asked for or required?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Denali climbers have been required to purchase "rescue insurance" since the 1990s. The more important question you should be asking is if someone forces a rescue upon you, are you still liable for the cost of that rescue? What if the kid said that he did not want to be rescued, or a climber, or a hiker? Are they still obligated to pay for a rescue that they neither asked for or required?
I believe that there is a meeting coming up in Fairbanks about future rescue operations at Denali. It's some sort of fee in addition to insurance climbers will have to pay prior to climbing (around $200.00). I guess that the fee is not to pay for a rescue, just an user's fee:
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...onal-parks7158
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: