Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:45 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
As usual, you are just "another liberal" who thinks that government money spent on you is free money that comes from the government. Didn't I say a time or two that I pay property taxes for fire protection, and also that I pay for property insurance? The money I pay is not government money, but my own, and which I have paid each year for the past 24 years.
I hate to tell you, but the state (and the feds too) spend a lot of money on emergency services to provide the rescue operation that showed up at your house. And what makes you think that kid's parents aren't also paying property taxes to support rescue services just as much as you?

You may not have been the one to arrest him, but you are the one who justified it with the statement that it cost property tax payers a lot of money to mount rescue operations. A bit of a hypocrite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:47 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I hate to tell you, but the state (and the feds too) spend a lot of money on emergency services to provide the rescue operation that showed up at your house. And what makes you think that kid's parents aren't also paying property taxes to support rescue services just as much as you?

You may not have been the one to arrest him, but you are the one who justified it with the statement that it cost property tax payers a lot of money to mount rescue operations. A bit of a hypocrite!
All rescue operations take money, but I pay for my insurance and fire protection. In relation to the kid floating on a chunk of ice, take your arguments to the local governments, the same ones you have been defending. Maybe they will listen to you, since the cost of the rescue is " free government money"

Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
If the issue is supposedly local property taxes, am I to assume then that if it happened in the Unorganized Borough the kid would not get arrested?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If the issue is supposedly local property taxes, am I to assume then that if it happened in the Unorganized Borough the kid would not get arrested?
The kid should not have been arrested regardless of where it happened. But it was the same "government" Floyd is talking about that arrested the kid. What should have happened was for the "government," the same one where the money comes from, was to rescue the kid if needed and be done with it, since the kid himself did not ask for help.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
All rescue operations take money, but I pay for my insurance and fire protection. In relation to the kid floating on a chunk of ice, take your arguments to the local governments, the same ones you have been defending. Maybe they will listen to you, since the cost of the rescue is " free government money"
So here you are, calling someone else thick skulled???

The point, since you haven't been able to get it yet, is that right from the start I pointed out that whatever happened, there must be more to the story than was in the newspaper article. I have no explanation for it, because I have don't have the facts.

You, lacking facts, want to make up something that fits your idiotic ideology. Whatever it was was justified, so you said, because it cost property owners money to provide rescue services.

That is, as I've pointed out, hypocritical coming from someone who just suffered a very preventable house fire that rolled an almost identical rescue operation.

You seem to be totally unaware of how these services are funded, and continue to suggest that you pay for it with insurance and property taxes. That is far from the truth.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The kid should not have been arrested regardless of where it happened. But it was the same "government" Floyd is talking about that arrested the kid. What should have happened was for the "government," the same one where the money comes from, was to rescue the kid if needed and be done with it, since the kid himself did not ask for help.
How do you know that? All we seem to have to go on is the newspaper article, and it does not support your statement.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:34 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
It clearly stated in the article that the kids were jumping on the ice, a piece broke off with him on it, and away he went. Pretty self explanitory. And judging from the picture he probably could have jumped halfway to shore, and waded the rest of the way. They should have just tossed him a rope and drug him through the water to shore. Might have been a little less dramatic, and may have planted the lesson a little deeper into his brain.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
It clearly stated in the article that the kids were jumping on the ice, a piece broke off with him on it, and away he went. Pretty self explanitory. And judging from the picture he probably could have jumped halfway to shore, and waded the rest of the way. They should have just tossed him a rope and drug him through the water to shore. Might have been a little less dramatic, and may have planted the lesson a little deeper into his brain.
Thank goodness the rescue squad was well trained and did not pull that kind of a bone headed stunt.

That is even more obnoxious than what Ray has said.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
How do you know that? All we seem to have to go on is the newspaper article, and it does not support your statement.
How do you know that the kid asked for help?

Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Thank goodness the rescue squad was well trained and did not pull that kind of a bone headed stunt.

That is even more obnoxious than what Ray has said.
What have I said, Floyd? That the government rescuers should have rescued the kid and then handed him a boat-full of free government money?

May I remind you again that I gave no gripes about the kid being rescued, and that the same government you are defending should not have charged the kid with a crime? I have said this numerous times already and even started a thread titled: "Dangerous but funny," long before this thread began.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-01-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks