Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM

413 posts, read 938,089 times

Advertisements

I'll admit that I didn't read the entirity of the other thread (ever listen to two old ladies bicker? yeah, that's what I heard in my head). So is it absolutely imperative to switch to synthetic oil?

I know what happens to the consistency of dino-oil at low temperatures, but isn't this overcome by the block heater/oil pan heater? Since I'm only going to be there for a year, I hate to switch to synthetic because once you do, you've got to keep using synthetic, and that'll make for some $$$ oil changes for the rest of the life of my car. And if I move back down, it won't be necessary.

It needs new tires anyway, so I planned on getting brand-spankin'-new ones before I headed up. I won't skimp, and hopefully I can get away without snow tires. I don't plan on taking my little car cruising in the mountains in a blizzard. Would it be adequate to get them studded instead of getting a whole new set of tires?

I'll be on a pretty limited budget, so I don't really want to spend money on things that aren't necessary.

Last edited by Newtgirl; 07-13-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
While synthetic oil is the best, one does not have to use it since conventional oils replaced at 3,000 intervals work well. So, if one is on a budget conventional oils are fine as long as one uses the correct grade. With newer automobiles, one should use the grade and type of oil recommended by the automobile manufacturer, and replaced at the correct intervals. For example, for the 2009 Subaru Forester I had, the replacing interval (oil and filter) was 3,000 miles, and the oil was 5W-30 year round. For my wife's 2010 Toyota Rav 4 V6, the oil and filter are replaced every 5,000 miles or every five months, 5W-30 oil regardless. However, I use synthetic oil on this car because a gallon of Mobil 1 costs $24.00 at Walmart ($46.00 at NAPA), and because the recommended change in miles exceeds 3,000 miles.

Automobile manufacturers recommend lightweight synthetic oils for some of their automobiles with turbo motors. For example, 0W-20, which is only in synthetic form, or just synthetic 5W-30. In this case, I would certainly do as they ask to avoid voiding the warranty.

I drive a 1987 Civic Si to work and back each day, and the odometer shows over 257,000 miles. It does not burn a drop of oil, and for the past ten years I have been using NAPA 10W-40 regular oil during the summer, and 5W-30 during the winter. The same for a 1981 F-150 truck that I park at the backyard. Long before synthetic oils were invented, aircraft and automobiles used regular oils.

In relation to the antifreeze/water ratio, the safest is 60/40 since from 69%-70% antifreeze, it begins to lose resistance to freezing. One can use a ratio of 70/30, but it's a good idea to use a more sophisticated tester than the cheap ones found at the local store

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-13-2011 at 11:02 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks Ray, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Red Rover's done past her warranty, and she's certainly not got any turbo under the hood!

As an update, I've been officially offered the position in Fairbanks. I'll be there in September!

I'm inheriting a cabin from the girl whose position I'm taking over. This is the description she sent me: $475 a month and it’s a really generous size with a full kitchen, downstairs area, food pantry and storage, and a really large upstairs with a closet. Other perks include an outhouse with a heat lamp that you can turn on from the inside of the cabin, and a drainage system that lets water go straight outside from the sink. It uses a To-yo heating monitor and there is a fuel tank outside. My boyfriend and I set up a pretty cool garden out front and a station for a solar shower out back.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest
On a side note, I talked to a recent retiree who was heading south in his motor home. I asked him where he was going and he said he didn't know but that he was going to keep going south until someone asked him what that cord was doing hanging out under his hood.
I literally "laughed out loud" at that. That is good stuff. I guess that old boy is just ready to be warm.

And Ray, since you have multiple vehicles maybe you're the one to ask. I am thinking my best approach for cars is going to be to keep my Honda Accord until it absolutely dies, but in the meantime buy an older truck that doesn't cost much to use for truck purposes. So I can have a daily driver with good mileage and a truck for hauling. My question is: how much does it generally cost to insure that that truck that you don't drive very often? I would think cheap since it's old, but...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
I'm inheriting a cabin from the girl whose position I'm taking over. This is the description she sent me: $475 a month and it’s a really generous size with a full kitchen, downstairs area, food pantry and storage, and a really large upstairs with a closet. Other perks include an outhouse with a heat lamp that you can turn on from the inside of the cabin, and a drainage system that lets water go straight outside from the sink. It uses a To-yo heating monitor and there is a fuel tank outside. My boyfriend and I set up a pretty cool garden out front and a station for a solar shower out back.
As long as you realize that means no running water, then yeah it sounds like a sweet Fairbanks style crib. There are lots and lots of places on the west side of town that fit that description. (the running water thing is probably obvious, but that would be a nasty surprize if you didn't realize)

Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
It is always good to have options. I found that out last Christmas when we lost power at 10 below....

Old 07-14-2011, 10:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I literally "laughed out loud" at that. That is good stuff. I guess that old boy is just ready to be warm.

And Ray, since you have multiple vehicles maybe you're the one to ask. I am thinking my best approach for cars is going to be to keep my Honda Accord until it absolutely dies, but in the meantime buy an older truck that doesn't cost much to use for truck purposes. So I can have a daily driver with good mileage and a truck for hauling. My question is: how much does it generally cost to insure that that truck that you don't drive very often? I would think cheap since it's old, but...
The older truck idea sounds good to me

Trucks are quite common in the interior of Alaska, perhaps because one can haul or move stuff as needed, take the trash to the dumpster (will explain below), or just haul construction materials. I use mine during the summer for fishing, and hunting in addition to those things mentioned.

The average used truck in Alaska has a lot of miles, but every now and then one can find a good deal. I would buy it here, but in reality you can buy a truck with low mileage anywhere in the lower-48 and not pay as much as you would here, specially in places such as Nevada, or any other place where the local economy or the job situation is depressed. In these places a lot of people can't afford several vehicles, and often get rid of some as a great deal to any person who has the money to buy. Since my wife and I have excellent driving records, we pay around $62.00 per month for a 2010 Toyota Rav 4, $26.00 for my '87 Civic, $23.00 for my '81 F-150, and $30.00 for a 1994 Suzuki Sidekick.

The trash thing: I have the choice to pay a company to haul my trash away, or just to take it to a collection point myself. I do the later

Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
So for the amount it costs me to insure one vehicle I could insure all of yours and have some left over for gas... Got it.

BTW, it was NOT inherently obvious to me that the place she was talking about did not have running water inside. Although I was a little skeptical about whether it did or not, as it talked about an "outhouse". The confusing part was the sink draining outside....

Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
As long as you realize that means no running water

I'm aware, but I appreciate the heads up. I can imagine some people would be a little shocked. I know the majority of my friends and family think I've lost it.

Dak, it's not stated as a dry cabin in the post, but that was made clear to me right from the get go since I've been communicating with my host agency.

My partner said he'd rather give up plumbing before he gave up internet. So we will!

I'm so excited!!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Awesome, I am so happy for you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks