Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:38 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,819,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The older truck idea sounds good to me

Trucks are quite common in the interior of Alaska, perhaps because one can haul or move stuff as needed, take the trash to the dumpster (will explain below), or just haul construction materials. I use mine during the summer for fishing, and hunting in addition to those things mentioned.

The average used truck in Alaska has a lot of miles, but every now and then one can find a good deal. I would buy it here, but in reality you can buy a truck with low mileage anywhere in the lower-48 and not pay as much as you would here, specially in places such as Nevada, or any other place where the local economy or the job situation is depressed. In these places a lot of people can't afford several vehicles, and often get rid of some as a great deal to any person who has the money to buy. Since my wife and I have excellent driving records, we pay around $62.00 per month for a 2010 Toyota Rav 4, $26.00 for my '87 Civic, $23.00 for my '81 F-150, and $30.00 for a 1994 Suzuki Sidekick.

The trash thing: I have the choice to pay a company to haul my trash away, or just to take it to a collection point myself. I do the later
Great post, thanks. I was figuring on buying one in Alaska because, well, then I wouldn't have to get it TO Alaska. So does the '81 F-150 still run well and all that? What kind of work have you had to do to it? Normally I wouldn't ask a million questions but a vehicle is an important purchase, and the truck I'm thinking about getting is an early 90's F-150. Far from the same as yours of course, but they're nice, tough trucks, and it seems like as long as you don't have a transmission problem, they'll last forever. I particularly like the looks of the old ones, and they also have dual gas tanks so you can go a long way (for an old truck) on a single fill-up.

I can't believe the insurance is that cheap though. That's better than I was hoping for. 'Course, I don't know how they decide the prices, and since I'm younger I might get charged more or something, but my 100% clean MVR will surely help me out. And since it's gonna be a second vehicle, I could even get a 3/4 ton. This is sounding good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,340,992 times
Easy Product on the Market Engine Warmer.
Engine Warmer | Wolverine Engine Heaters

Old 07-15-2011, 09:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,462,360 times
Bob - That is an oil pan heater...

Also, it doesn't work on all vehicles, you must have a metal oil pan and it must be flat... While I will agree that most trucks/cars out there do. Just gotta be careful, as I know for a fact my trucks is plastic.

Now they talk about a heated dipstick which is an interesting idea...

Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,896,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Great post, thanks. I was figuring on buying one in Alaska because, well, then I wouldn't have to get it TO Alaska. So does the '81 F-150 still run well and all that? What kind of work have you had to do to it? Normally I wouldn't ask a million questions but a vehicle is an important purchase, and the truck I'm thinking about getting is an early 90's F-150. Far from the same as yours of course, but they're nice, tough trucks, and it seems like as long as you don't have a transmission problem, they'll last forever. I particularly like the looks of the old ones, and they also have dual gas tanks so you can go a long way (for an old truck) on a single fill-up.

I can't believe the insurance is that cheap though. That's better than I was hoping for. 'Course, I don't know how they decide the prices, and since I'm younger I might get charged more or something, but my 100% clean MVR will surely help me out. And since it's gonna be a second vehicle, I could even get a 3/4 ton. This is sounding good to me.
I just drive the truck during the summer and the Fall. Then it's parked during the winter. I am planning to buy a late '90s F-150 by next year so I can retire this one (one of my sons wants it).

Old 06-20-2020, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 720 times
Talking That is cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Isn't that the truth.

Actually when i lived in Fairbanks I had a battery blanket, a trickle charger, an insulated blanket under the hood as well as a block heater.

I don't think you really need all that but it does help. Just wait until you get here, the people down south won't know anything about it.

On a side note, I talked to a recent retiree who was heading south in his motor home. I asked him where he was going and he said he didn't know but that he was going to keep going south until someone asked him what that cord was doing hanging out under his hood.
That is a really cute answer! I love it. I am going to go north until people stop asking me what that cord is doing hanging out from under my hood.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,584,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay2021 View Post
That is a really cute answer! I love it. I am going to go north until people stop asking me what that cord is doing hanging out from under my hood.

Bumper. Route the plug so it is by the bumper. That way you can tuck it in during the summer.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:18 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,896,329 times
This is to an old post, but I will add the following in case for new arrival to Fairbanks.

1. Trickle charger for the battery: Not a good idea if you plug the car for short periods of time, because the trickle charger is not going to charge the battery in 1-4 hours. But a great idea if you plug the vehicle all night or day long, before you drive. A battery charger/maintainer (most trickle chargers are this way) start with a charging cycle, and switch to a trickle charging cycle once the battery has reached most of its capacity. This trickle charging cycle keeps the battery top-charged (this is the "maintaining" portion of the charger). The problem is that the cold temperatures reduce the battery's capacity, and the car may not start in the morning. If the battery is already partially discharged below the required engine cranking amperage, the motor won't start in the morning (the cold reduces the battery's capacity). A battery charger/maintainer does not warm the battery; all it does is to charge and maintain the state of charge of the battery, and this takes several hours to happen, specially during the winter.

2. Battery blankets work the best for me, because I plug my car, or truck, for a period of 2-3 hours before I start it and leave for work. I use an exterior electrical timer.

3. Battery heating pad. These are cheaper than battery blankets, but are prone to electrical failure (shorts and such), unless properly installed. For that reason alone, I not longer use battery heating pads (takes too much effort to install properly).

1. Battery blanket or trickle charger (your choice as noted above)
2. Engine block heater (better done by a mechanic, unless you know how)
3. Oil pan heater (a 35-45-Watt electrical pad)

Some people attach a oil pan heating pad to the transmission oil pan, but I have never done that to any of my vehicles.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-03-2020 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks