Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 28,808 times

Advertisements

Hello all my husband might be getting a job at Fort Wainwright do you have any suggestions on the best place to live around that area. We are in Tx now. I have always wanted to live in AK simply because
I love snow, love love snow, animals too but from a far what are the chances of seeing a bear are haveing to actualy deal with a bear.As for Doc I have several medical problems Is that going to be hard to tend to in AK.
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTTHANG View Post
Hello all my husband might be getting a job at Fort Wainwright do you have any suggestions on the best place to live around that area. We are in Tx now. I have always wanted to live in AK simply because
I love snow, love love snow, animals too but from a far what are the chances of seeing a bear are haveing to actualy deal with a bear.As for Doc I have several medical problems Is that going to be hard to tend to in AK.
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP
The chances of seeing a bear are fairly low, though this year we have had an unprecedented amount of grizzly bears in one are of the outlying town that became a nucience and were delt with. Normally bears are very shy and tend to keep away from humans. Now moose are a different story and if they don't have calfs you may find yourself within 60 feet or so. Just talk calmly and slowly back away. Never EVER get between a cow and her calf, or a bear and its cub. Where I live there is a cow moose and twin calves that wander through the yard every week or so. We keep respectful distances and all is well.

There are some decent Docs here, two clinics with urgent care centers, 1 hospital that can do most things. No heart surgery or such. Several private practices.

Depending on your income and such there are seveal areas that are close to Ft. Wainwright and shopping. Keep in mind you can drive around the city of fairbanks on the main roads in about 35 minutes, so getting somewhere is not that big an issue. Areas that are close are Shannon Park, Hamilton Acres, Downtown, parts of Badger road, Holmes road area.

WE lived in Shannon park for 5 years, fairly new subdivision. kids attended elementry and jr high, then highschool. I was impressed with the amount of volunteering done my the military wives at the non highschools. They made for a nicer enviroment and we didn't have any real issues with the staff. There are also private schools and Charter schools here. The Catholics have a very good porocial school.
Some people like to live in North Pole, and parts of badger road, becuse the housing is less expensive, I find they tend to wear out their cars faster too with the extra milage.

Come on up and have fun, try and get here before winter sets in.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,582 times
Default Husband in the military

Hello, We moved up here a couple years ago, we love Ak. My husband is a pilot in the military and we bought a house a couple years ago. Unfortunatly we now have to move. I personaly love the area where we live. We asked around a lot before we bought our house. I am not sure if you have kids but U park is the best. We are 11 miles from post and it takes my husband about 20 min or less to get to work. We love to not be to close to post. But not so far that he has a huge drive to get to work. We have a great bike trail that was just put in a year ago and about 5 miles to Fred Meyers and if you come up, you will be very familiar with it. Here is a link to our house that is on the market now http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?lsn=10&sid=38e1c8088f18405d9238 29a130688724&lid=1099573501&loc=Fairbanks%2c+AK&mn p=250000&mxp=275000&bd=5&bth=4&typ=1#Detail (broken link). Shannon Park is one of the closest subdivisions to Post. We thought about North Pole but when we came up we saw it was quite a drive, think icy roads and snow. Paved roads are a luxury if you don't have 4x4 .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks