Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
We all have issues/problems. This is a pretty good group. Oh, we may argue, get grumpy, have our moments, but all-in-all I like to think we're there for each other to lend support and advice when needed.
Yep, we are our own, sometimes somewhat disfuntional, some sort of family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Yep, we are our own, sometimes somewhat disfuntional, some sort of family

You can say that again.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
I've posted on several forums, depending on where I am in my travels, and found the Alaska forum to be the friendliest and most helpful. <3 my forum peeps!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:22 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
And I kind of hate it.

Well, not Fairbanks itself; it reminds me a lot of northern Michigan. But the job is definitely NOT what I envisioned, and I don't have any transportation, and I don't know anyone.

And I am sharing the dry cabin with the girl I'm replacing, but she's staying longer than she said originally. And she doesn't want to show me where anything is. I don't know where the water wagons are, a laundromat, but I do know where the transfer station is!

I guess I'm homesick, and I don't feel like I fit in.

And not having wheels SUCKS. I can't do anything, explore, shower, laundry, nothin'. I feel trapped.
Nothing you have said is by any means out of the ordinary. Most people who move from one place to another that's more isolated from the rest of the US goes through such feelings of isolation (homesick and such).

You just have to come-up with a plan, and stick to it. For example:

-Put-up with the work you don't like. At the same time, on your days off visit places or businesses that you may want to work at, and personally ask for job applications. Submit these the sooner there is a job opening.

-Transportation. This is a big one since in Fairbanks and vicinity transportation is extremely important in order to move around, go to work and back, or just to get out of town and look at the Alaska's landscape and wildlife, etc.

-There is a place (Water Wagon) not too far and across from the Safeway gas station on Old Steese (right by the coffee stand and the car wash across Fred Mayer). But if you can get a ride to Fox, you can fill water containers on the Elliot Highway past the truck weight station (the Steese turns right by the weight station, so if you just drive straight ahead, that's the Elliott). The Fox water spring is right past the weight station, on the left side of the road).

-Friends. I would advise, again, to make a plan and stick to it. Friends will come later, and you will have plenty unless you are as ugly as the front bumper of a Mack truck

-Laundry, showers: as mentioned by a lot of us in this forum, the cost of living in Alaska is extremely high. There are laundromats and places to take showers all around Fairbanks, but you need transportation just like a lot of other people in similar situations as yours. Get the bus routes and schedule first. Eventually you will have some friends, and maybe you can move-in to a place with a shower and a washer and dryer For now pretend that you are out moose hunting with me, and that all we have is a 5-gal. bucket of water and a little plastic tub to wash your face, and the body parts that stink a day or two later Or just to have some "Wet Ones" (wet-tissue) to clean your hands and body as needed. You will need to take a shower, of course, at least every four or five days. (sorry about this bad news, but you are at the other side of the mountain now).

And please don't feel that your roommate is a pain She (or he?) probably has his or her own problems to contend with already.

Summary: concentrate on work and saving as much cash as possible, buy what you need, and then make friends.
-------
Lets face it. When you see the other side of the mountain you realize what this is, except that now you have to start from the beginning: no friends, no family, the insecurities of a new job, being homesick, no shower sometimes, no food sometimes... Each one of us has or is going through similar situations

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-08-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
I would guess the transportation issues really are the root of the problem...the bus may not go where she lives and it sounds like the housing is provided for the job. With winter on the way, I recommend a big bottle of vitamin D to counter the potential depression caused by seasonal affective disorder, which will be heightened by having trouble getting around town.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:05 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
hey Newtgirl.....go outside late at night and scream as loud and you can..stomp your feet and throw an absolute tantrum...then regroup, go to bed and meet the new day! just a thought!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:10 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Ha ha, I should try that....

Old 09-08-2011, 06:12 PM

468 posts, read 799,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
hey Newtgirl.....go outside late at night and scream as loud and you can..stomp your feet and throw an absolute tantrum...the regroup go to bed and meet the new day! just a thought!
One of the benefits of not living around a lot of people! That sounds like a fine idea! Try that in suburbia and I bet the neighbors would call the cops.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 PM

216 posts, read 364,634 times
RayinAK nailed it, well said. Only on friends, smile and talk to anyone and everyone no matter what they may look like. Pick up the phone and just dial a local number and say sorry wrong number and then ask what their doin, not unusual to have these talks with strangers. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
-Friends. I would advise, again, to make a plan and stick to it. Friends will come later, and you will have plenty unless you are as ugly as the front bumper of a Mack truck
I pretty much am and I still haven't had trouble in that department
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks