Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times

Advertisements

The majority of Fairbanks does not have natural gas lines to houses, but Anchorage does. Some people pay as they go a tankful at a time, others get on auto-fill and have a monthly bill. It just depends on the company you pick for fuel and your credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
If you lived in a house and had some land, and you could afford it. Wouldn't it make sense to have a large enough storage tank to last the winter and stock up in the summer when the fuel is cheaper? (Also, I am assuming that you would need to add your own anti-gel additives in the summer or is heating fuel always treated?)

Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 PM

370 posts, read 882,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanywhite View Post
i looked over the link you posted and i didnt see the answers i am lookin for maybe i missed it and i have checked out the daily miner it helps with looking for a place to live but i cant know how much i can spend on a place without knowing how much the bills are thanks for your input though
Hi,
What I did for my first aparmtment in FAI, (move in date Dec 27th) was to find a place with all utilities included. This way I can budget for rent and utilities.

I'd heard that heat could be from 500 to 800 a month so, I found a place that has me covered. Then interviewd via telephone conversations and references verification too.

I spoke with a few apartment companies via The Daily miner and chose something via CL.

Good luck!
Jen

Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
If you lived in a house and had some land, and you could afford it. Wouldn't it make sense to have a large enough storage tank to last the winter and stock up in the summer when the fuel is cheaper? (Also, I am assuming that you would need to add your own anti-gel additives in the summer or is heating fuel always treated?)
It makes not difference since the cost of heating fuel has been the same for several months now. The price of heating fuel fluctuates with the price of oil on the market. If the price of oil goes up, so does gasoline, heating fuel, and diesel fuel for your truck.

Heating fuel does not need additives to keep it from jelling as long as the tank us buried. It only needs such if the tank is above ground.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,
What I did for my first aparmtment in FAI, (move in date Dec 27th) was to find a place with all utilities included. This way I can budget for rent and utilities.

I'd heard that heat could be from 500 to 800 a month so, I found a place that has me covered. Then interviewd via telephone conversations and references verification too.

I spoke with a few apartment companies via The Daily miner and chose something via CL.

Good luck!
Jen
Heat could be very expensive if you live in your own house. But if you rent an apartment or even a house, heating cost is already included in your rent. That's why apartments are still expensive (the landlord has to pay for the heating fuel).

Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM

355 posts, read 508,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Heat could be very expensive if you live in your own house. But if you rent an apartment or even a house, heating cost is already included in your rent. That's why apartments are still expensive (the landlord has to pay for the heating fuel).
That is exactly what i am finding as well. Most i have seen have included all utilities, or all but electric.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 AM

370 posts, read 882,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Hi,

I found an aparment in a FAI house there that costs about the same as mine in Texas did, (with the added bonus of having the utilities included in AK though.)

Yet, I think I got a nice deal.

The landlord's would be paying the heat with or without me, the tenant so I think this may be one of the reasons' they considered a tenant, (that and now they won't have to hire a house sitter when they go out of state too.)

Jen

Last edited by Gennaver; 11-07-2011 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2AK4job View Post
That is exactly what i am finding as well. Most i have seen have included all utilities, or all but electric.
Yes. The landlord is supposed to provide a shelter with heat and water. Some still take care of the electric bill (add it to the rent), but some others let you do that.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,525 times
So, many times the rent in Fairbanks has heating costs included? How about water/sewer/garbage? Occasionally electricity too??

Pardon my ignorance, but we don't see much in the way of "utilities included" types of rents around my neck of the woods, excepting the short term lease stuff.

That would make things look a little more affordable from my perspective. I generally shoot $250 or more a month on the mentioned utilities already.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,042 times
If heating oil is that expensive, how can the people living in the Bush villages afford to keep warm??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks