Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:37 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
teenagers are the same everywhere... no hat, boots and shorts here too on the worst of days... must be the hormones and lack of sense LOL...
Whenever I hear talk about kids running around with summer clothes on in the winter, it reminds me of the time my son clearly defined how young kids/teens view older people and their silly chatter of things like dressing warm.

When he was four we were walking hand-in-hand into the Y for his swimming lessons when out of the blue he said this: Dad, when are you going to start fossilizing?

He was as serious as a heart attack. Well, this coming year I turn 50 so let the fossilizing begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM

370 posts, read 882,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

So you got to meet Joyce at the hafla, good. I was thinking of going to it but have just been too busy for any me time. But this weekend I'm taking some for sure!
Thank you for the numbers. I look forward to lunch!

Yes, Joyce looked fabulous! Several of the dancers dressed for the occasion. Most all my things but work uniforms and jeans are in the moving van so I was not dressed. Thankfully, the invite said either dress in your finest or come in your jeans.

They seemed to have a great turnout I think, I look forward to Sunday's workshop sampler too.

Jen

Old 12-31-2011, 11:05 AM

370 posts, read 882,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
May I suggest an alternative to long johns .... they are too tight and restrictive ... Inupiaq women all dress alike as do the men. No long johns. Sweat pants are just so much more comfortable with gym shorts underneath. Over sized jeans over those sweat pants will give you all the warmth you need @ - 40 below zero! Everyone in the arctic wears gym shorts over the underwear. That layer makes all the difference in the world when you are 'sitting'!! Many very loose fitting layers .. Invest in some "Pendelton Shirts' there is nothing out there that is warmer for sure and good looking for sure.
Hi,

What I am wearing isn't really "long johns" what I've got are loose and comfortable with jeans that are not tight either. I don't like to go so big as to fall off without a belt though, I prefer loose...then again, that may be relative. I haven't worn "tight" jeans since the 80's when it was pre-lycra days and circulatory restrictive!! Ha. The ignorance of youthful fashion. Sigh. I remember being freezing in Chicago in those pants too, (worthless.)

I can't recall the name of the book where an American journalist woman residing in Canada in the 70's went to live in a remote Cree village and she told of her first few winters there. She described how she foolishly wore her own gloves underneath the wonderful Cree made mittens and nearly lost her fingers to frostbite because she was counteracting the space and warmth of looseness.

This is also what made me upgrade my Libbons one size from what I almost bought too! I now have room for those thick wool socks

When I go back to the prospector outfitters to pick up more of those super socks, (in the bin downstairs) I will take a look at a pendleton shirt. Never had one but, I definately LOVE bundling up!! Yay.
Thanks!
Jen
p.s. Aha, remembered, it was "North Spirit" Sojourns among the Cree and Ojibway. My father is Cree, Ojibwe and Athabascan as well as French too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...283155&s=books

Hey, a friend sent me a beautiful link from Texas...I won't forget how beautiful it is yet, consider my self spectacularly lucky to be in Alaska now.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/221320...e=0&portrait=0

Last edited by Gennaver; 12-31-2011 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: remembered the name of the book and to add link to West Texas video

Old 01-14-2012, 02:57 PM

158 posts, read 322,392 times
Hi everyone,
Sorry just seeing this/catching up. I live in the Matsu Valley area but hope maybe one day we can get together and hang out. Thank you for the invite! OMGOSH, son, daughter have had issues with outdoor clothing every since we got here. They HAVE the gloves, scarfs, coats, underclothing but getting them to wear it (ok kids you ARENT in Alabama anymore) is another thing all together! They are teenagers and think they know best. Thanks for the ideas about gym shorts/larger jeans ect. I will look for some of the stuff mentioned here. I need to find us some good warm boots and will look at the thrift stores. Anyhoo Jen, hope you are doing skippy, good to read another new comers posts.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:07 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times
I once had to go to a doctor here in Anchorage in the early 90's. When he came into the exam room; the first thing he said was, 'drop your trousers' (part of the exam). When he saw the gym shorts - he said: "I bet anything you live up north". I said your right! How come ?? was his response... why does eveyrone from up north wear gym shorts?.. men & women.. of all ages. I smiled really big and said - that extra layer helps so much.. .. .. when "sitting"! Sit ... for any length of time, when it is minus 30 degrees or colder - THEN you will figure out exactly what I'm talking about!!

Simply put: It's part of getting dressed properly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks