U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 AM

22,416 posts, read 29,780,599 times

Advertisements

Yes, Ray...I know all about your cup(s) of wine with dinner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 AM

119 posts, read 207,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, Ray...I know all about your cup(s) of wine with dinner.
Why do you never have anything nice to say and make everything into an argument? The negativity that you bring to everything you say and openly confrontational nature makes me wonder where the "help a fellow human being out" mentality that is found so frequently in Alaska has gone in your case.

The attitude in the state is already drifting further and further towards the "big city" mentality where someone won't stop to call the cops if they find you bleeding to death on the street with a knife in your chest. What are you doing to help prove that good folk still are the norm here?

He made a joke, you questioned it in a confrontational manner, he explained the joke, and you continue being rude and confrontational. I don't see much sense in it.

We've gone back and forth before, and I was polite to you, now I see that you seem to take a very negative tone with everyone.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 AM

4,060 posts, read 9,049,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post
Why do you never have anything nice to say and make everything into an argument? The negativity that you bring to everything you say and openly confrontational nature makes me wonder where the "help a fellow human being out" mentality that is found so frequently in Alaska has gone in your case.

The attitude in the state is already drifting further and further towards the "big city" mentality where someone won't stop to call the cops if they find you bleeding to death on the street with a knife in your chest. What are you doing to help prove that good folk still are the norm here?

He made a joke, you questioned it in a confrontational manner, he explained the joke, and you continue being rude and confrontational. I don't see much sense in it.

We've gone back and forth before, and I was polite to you, now I see that you seem to take a very negative tone with everyone.
She's just having fun with Ray, they've been bantering back and forth for years. Met is a very helpful person and cares about people. You don't know her dry sense of humor nor the background of our relationships on here yet. We may not always agree with each other on some things but I'm sure most of us have a deep sense of respect for each other despite our differences.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post

I didn't even bother reading most of your post; perhaps I will later. But understand something. Ray and I do a lot of back and forth pestering of one another and none of it is meant maliciously. I am pretty sure that he knows that. So before you jump in and make accusations about something you know nothing about, consider that quite a few of us who have been posting together for a fairly long time do have our jokes among ourselves...or even not so much among ourselves. I think that most new people would either have "gotten it" or would have realized that the exchange wasn't quite meant literally.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-30-2012 at 03:18 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
What are you doing to help prove that good folk still are the norm here?
Not that I owe you an explanation but...

//www.city-data.com/forum/ancho...ding-jobs.html

And no,

Quote:
We've gone back and forth before, and I was polite to you
We haven't "gone back and forth". I explained some realities of the bar and restaurant business to you concerning alcohol laws some time ago. Didn't feel that there was anything confrontational or negative on either side, just that you were looking at the issue from the perspective of a customer. Most people do.

Here's some Alaska Forum 101 for you: You don't get to choose how others post here, and you try to pick fights at your own risk.

Now excuse me but I've got to go turn up my tv set. One of the neighbors is being stabbed and I'm finding the noise to be quite pesky. I certainly hope they don't stagger into my yard and get blood on the stepping stones, or worse yet, die in my yard. The last thing I want to wake up to tomorrow morning is the sight of that horrifically orange police tape strung about all over the place and flapping in the wind; it would clash with the color of my house. It seems as if a call to the Neighborhood Watch Association may be in order if these people can't refrain from allowing their homicidal activities to disturb my enjoyance of Late Nite Nick at Nite.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-30-2012 at 03:07 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 AM

And while I'm at it, Ray, has your poor wife cracked you over your fat head with her frying pan lately?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 AM

305 posts, read 600,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
We are too spoiled already to go back to that life. Can you imagine not having money to buy things, nor all the places to buy at?

-Food
-Building materials
-Gasoline
-Heating fuel
-Food for the sled dogs (if you think you won't be able to drive your truck)
-Food for you and your family
-Clothing for your family and yourself
-Money to pay for your home loan, or the truck's
-Money to pay for electricity
-Money for healthcare as you and the rest of the family get older
-And so forth.... (beer?)

There only is so much firewood you can gather to stay warm during the long and cold interior winters, and you still have to drive somewhere to gather it. Not only that, buy you need fuel to run your chainsaw. Why do you think some very experienced villagers move to larger towns and cities? How about when the whole village floods or something?

That said, on some areas of Alaska where the weather is quite mild relating to temperature, one has a greater chance to make it just fine, and it would probably feel quite good for a change.
Exactly - if you still thought like a town-civilized person, those deficits would pose a problem. We'd not be cut off completely from the rest of the United States; the supply would be diminished due to economies.

I've lived here since before Statehood, before we had all the conveniences, before the pipeline brought dollars and populace to the state. When Alaska finally got private lines and long distance, ours was the one of the first households in Fairbanks to be blessed. When the Alaska Marine Highway sailed, my family took a ride on the first ferry. Living in Petersburg, we wait for the fruit boat to come in winter, masts decked out in Christmas lights, kids and parents standing on the dock waiting to shop the laundry baskets full of sweatshirts, boots, outboards and the like.

I also lived in the bush. I traveled to town twice a year, hunted and trapped and lived from the land. My main expense was fuel for my boat, and groceries maybe topped $100 a month - with kids. I had all the firewood I could need to heat and cook with, all the seafood and deer I could eat, and a fine garden to put up for winter. I did all of this on less than $12,000 a year, which paid for my fuel, food, trips to town, and various sundries.

I'm no fool when it comes to living beneath my means, and I'm not foolish enough to believe I want to survive without any modern amenities. I am wise enough to know the differences and the possibilities, and I do not speak lightly of returning to the life. There would be no debt, something I'm fortunate enough to have planned for. I'd be off the grid, off the road, and do very little banking. There's a big difference in lifestyle throughout the regions of Alaska, some offering more ease than others, but it is possible if you're experienced, resourceful, and not wet behind the ears. It's certainly not for the weak or faint of heart.

That said, just because oil money is dwindling, doesn't mean a body needs to scramble to live in the bush or off the land. Pay off the debt, economize, get your house in order, maintain what you have and stock up on what you need to live - quality goods, sufficient stores, repair or replace items that warrant it. Practice frugality and resourcefulness, examine what everyday luxuries you can get along without and save them for special occasions. I'm not a life planner for anyone but myself, but common sense tells you that you'll make it comfortably if you downsize, save, and work more than play.

I've been looking forward to these days for a long time, and I'm waiting patiently for the show to begin. I'm not afraid of what's coming.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,653,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Harsh winter overflows Fairbanks Rescue Mission (http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/17330468/article-Harsh-winter-overflows-Fairbanks-Rescue-Mission--?instance=home_news_window_left_top_2 - broken link)

On top of this, Alaska's future economy is not looking good according to an article titled, "Tough choices coming amid state's oil decline" that was published in the Daily News Mines today (Sunday, January 29, 2012). And yes, I understand that these two problems may be different from each other, but a lot of people are already having a hard time coping with the high cost of living in Alaska. This high cost of living include heating fuel, and medical and dental care, all which are sky high in Alaska. It's sometimes cheaper to fly to Seattle or Oregon for medical care than to receive the same in Alaska.
My daughter had to be medevaced to Seattle for urgent care. Our bill for that service was over $108,000.00. Thank God for insurance. Another "hidden cost" of living here.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 PM

305 posts, read 600,691 times
Medevac insurance is the best deal around. I think it was $100 or so per person, but it's been a while since I saw a flyer.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,972,791 times
I've been medivac twice; Point Hope to Kotz for my very first heart attack Oct of 89

Barrow to Anchorage via lear jet for same reason in 2010 That was the last attack (thank goodness).

Numerous ambulance trips to the hospital in Barrow 10 heart attacks in two years because the doctors refused to give me my prescription refills!!

Most of those doctors were all fired in Feb of 2010

I never had to pay for either flight(s) or any other service & I had no insurance; but I was a resident living there; so perhaps that might be the reason.

I've never had to pay for any health care in 30 years living in any of the villages; I'm treated the same as all people that reside there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks