U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM

17,486 posts, read 31,245,165 times

Advertisements

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Harsh winter overflows Fairbanks Rescue Mission (http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/17330468/article-Harsh-winter-overflows-Fairbanks-Rescue-Mission--?instance=home_news_window_left_top_2 - broken link)
Quote:
Previously, over occupancy at the shelter only occurred during January and February, but for the past six months it has become the norm, said Rodney Gaskins, rescue mission executive director.

This weekend the mission is sheltering approximately 175 men, 40 women and 15 children.

“There’s no way in the world anybody could do this without community support,” said Gaskins, who has the highest praise for the many generous people who are committed to helping the local homeless population that some deem throwaway or unworthy.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Harsh winter overflows Fairbanks Rescue Mission
On top of this, Alaska's future economy is not looking good according to an article titled, "Tough choices coming amid state's oil decline" that was published in the Daily News Mines today (Sunday, January 29, 2012). And yes, I understand that these two problems may be different from each other, but a lot of people are already having a hard time coping with the high cost of living in Alaska. This high cost of living include heating fuel, and medical and dental care, all which are sky high in Alaska. It's sometimes cheaper to fly to Seattle or Oregon for medical care than to receive the same in Alaska.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-29-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,222,892 times
Here's the article the ADN ran.

State has to look at declines in revenues: Legislature | Alaska news at adn.com

Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 PM

6,381 posts, read 12,898,055 times
Well as brutal as the cold is, nobody should be outside!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,222,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Humans plus animals.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,979,006 times
Quote:

I know a great many that are still outside; ... tisk tisk.

Something has to happen and soon .. ... to change this situation for many more will join as the unemployment rates rise!

At the present time we can only do so much and it is not enough.

My heart goes out to these people; -

We need a 'miracle' to help save these unfortunate people!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM

305 posts, read 601,398 times
I'm selfish when it comes to declining oil revenues. I'll appreciate a return to the basics. Can't say everyone will share my outlook and viewpoint, but it is what it is. We made it here long before the pipeline days, and it was a good life despite the expense and hardship. I think we'll go through some hard times before we get life back to what it was then, but I'm looking forward to it.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,500,046 times
Quote:
Our shelters here in Wisconsin over flow with people too in Winter and our winter isn't as brutal. Yes Sity there does need to be a miracle..

Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
I'm selfish when it comes to declining oil revenues. I'll appreciate a return to the basics. Can't say everyone will share my outlook and viewpoint, but it is what it is. We made it here long before the pipeline days, and it was a good life despite the expense and hardship. I think we'll go through some hard times before we get life back to what it was then, but I'm looking forward to it.
We are too spoiled already to go back to that life. Can you imagine not having money to buy things, nor all the places to buy at?

-Food
-Building materials
-Gasoline
-Heating fuel
-Food for the sled dogs (if you think you won't be able to drive your truck)
-Food for you and your family
-Clothing for your family and yourself
-Money to pay for your home loan, or the truck's
-Money to pay for electricity
-Money for healthcare as you and the rest of the family get older
-And so forth.... (beer?)

There only is so much firewood you can gather to stay warm during the long and cold interior winters, and you still have to drive somewhere to gather it. Not only that, buy you need fuel to run your chainsaw. Why do you think some very experienced villagers move to larger towns and cities? How about when the whole village floods or something?

That said, on some areas of Alaska where the weather is quite mild relating to temperature, one has a greater chance to make it just fine, and it would probably feel quite good for a change.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-29-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 PM

22,422 posts, read 29,816,895 times
When did you start drinking beer, Ray? Did your wife finally pour your wine down the drain?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
When did you start drinking beer, Ray? Did your wife finally pour your wine down the drain?
I don't drink beer, but wrote that in there as a joke

Do drink a cup of wine with dinner, but limit it to 4 ounces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks