Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 AM

43 posts, read 138,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
TWO or Four legged Bears?

Hilarious! By the way, been back almost two months now, and I've yet to post my trip report....and guess what?? I didn't take (or BECOME) any **** from the bears...didn't even see one during the week.

I LOVE ALASKA!!! MOVE ME THERE!!!!!! (I'm looking into military stuff right now for my career, so who knows??!).

I'm still oogling over my pics (over 200 of ANC area, FB, and Kenai peninsula). I especially fell in love with those mysterious lakes bordered with black spruce..Got many shots of these, some near FB, some further south.. esp. Lake Kashwitna near Talkeetna. Gorgeous.

BTW, I appreciate the skewed gender ratio.....skewed in MY favor, thankya! ..The Alaskan men I chatted with during my trip were very friendly souls!. One man (security guard at UAF) shook my hand, and "thanked me personally, on behalf of all the men in Alaska." Apparently, my presence "officially doubled the population of women in the state!" LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:10 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietitianVicky View Post

Hilarious! By the way, been back almost two months now, and I've yet to post my trip report....and guess what?? I didn't take (or BECOME) any **** from the bears...didn't even see one during the week.

I LOVE ALASKA!!! MOVE ME THERE!!!!!! (I'm looking into military stuff right now for my career, so who knows??!).

I'm still oogling over my pics (over 200 of ANC area, FB, and Kenai peninsula). I especially fell in love with those mysterious lakes bordered with black spruce..Got many shots of these, some near FB, some further south.. esp. Lake Kashwitna near Talkeetna. Gorgeous.

BTW, I appreciate the skewed gender ratio.....skewed in MY favor, thankya! ..The Alaskan men I chatted with during my trip were very friendly souls!. One man (security guard at UAF) shook my hand, and "thanked me personally, on behalf of all the men in Alaska." Apparently, my presence "officially doubled the population of women in the state!" LOL!
We have been patiently waiting for a report on your visit.

One minor correction...... Doubled population of available women in the state!

Moving here is really easy, load your car with stuff drive northwest till you hit the coast and just keep easing west as you drive north. If you get to the Yukon, you missed a turn.

Come see us again soon.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM

24 posts, read 91,114 times
Default Fairbanks hot spots, from a local

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietitianVicky View Post
Hi everyone. I appreciate everyone's help in making my trip as adventure-packed as possible. I'm gearing up for a grand time in ANC (5 days) and also Fairbanks (2 days)...One last question. I recently added Fairbanks to my itinerary, as I am DYING to see the AK Pipeline and hopefully increasing my chances of seeing the Aurora. Where in FB do I go to best view these? Am I able to access the Yukon River nearby for photo ops? Anything worthwhile viewing at UAF? Closest reputable hot springs?? Best hiking locations in the area? Any helpful input is appreciated.

Also I will be passing by Denali on my journey North to FB from ANC...I'm gathering it takes about 5 hours or so..??..Is it feasible to see any of the Park areas in a few hours? Best towns to stop and take in the scenery/hike?
Any AWESOME things to NOT MISS? C'mon Fairbanks people!! Put in your votes!! Thanks so much.

I am gleeful over with anticipation over this trip!! I'll be posting a trip report when I get back.

Chena hotsprings is a great place to visit.... If your trip is in the summer I highly recomend hiking from Angel Rock to the hot springs, I DON'T RECOMEND HIKING IT IN THE WINTER. It is a 9mile hike, I suggest packing a gun incase you run into a bear, the road to the springs is paved and is about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive to the springs.

It takes roughly 6 hours to drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks, if you are taking your trip in the winter, you will be sad to hear that denali park is closed in the winter. In the summer they have bus tours that drive some ways to wild life, it;s a great trip.

In Fairbanks, If this is a summer trip, you can go gold panning up in Fox, they have a place on the side of the highway which is a tourist hot spot, Of the pipeline. you can get some great pictures, you used to be able to climb it, but I am not sure if you are still allowed to.

I also think a North Pole trip would be a good Idea, you can go to the SantaClaus House, and meet the man himself, he had his name changed some years ago to Chris Cringle, he drives a harley davidson in the summer, and they have a wonderful gift shop there, it is only about a 20 min. drive from fairbanks straight down the richardson highway.

In fairbanks there is a wonderful place called Pioneer Park, known to the residents as alaska land, It has a musem, and a bunch of little shops it is a wonderful place to go, and it is free! While there eat at the salmon bake, it is to die for! there is a little building there that explains the northern lights and it's scientific chemistry.

If your trip is in the winter I would make sure you keep an eye on the weather forcast for a clear, cold night, that is your best shot at veiwing the northern lights, in the summer you have pretty much no chance to see them, becasue it is light all night... REMEMEBER to pack a few eye coverers for sleeping, because it isn't easy to sleep in the light unless you are used to it.
Also pack some bug repelent... mosquito's are fierce here.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Don't forget to go over to Hot Licks for the best icecream in the world.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:21 PM

103 posts, read 322,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaApril View Post

I also think a North Pole trip would be a good Idea, you can go to the SantaClaus House, and meet the man himself, he had his name changed some years ago to Chris Cringle, he drives a harley davidson in the summer, and they have a wonderful gift shop there, it is only about a 20 min. drive from fairbanks straight down the richardson highway.

ZipUSA: North Pole, AK @ nationalgeographic.com

i remember when he worked at Pizza hut in NoPo

Old 11-29-2007, 07:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
In case everyone missed it , the OP has been here and gone a couple of months ago. I was trying to get her to share her thoughts on the trip.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:26 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Never noticed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks