Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times

Advertisements

I always wondered what happened to the children who misbehaved on Santa's list.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
They get sent to North Carolina...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 22,703 times
Default Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaApril View Post
You have to keep in mind that most of these people aren't convicted for molesting a child, actually most are convicted of a 1st offense of sexual assault! they may have just gotten the wrong vibe, and reached for a boob grab, or a kiss... I am sure most people have been there, a lot of times the boy cries wolf a little more then he should be here.
Okay I have to correct you on this April because you are ill informed.Most sex offenders are not on the registry because of the type of sexual assault you are describing, for one thing most women are afraid of being called a liar, or are confused themselves if that type of sexual advancement can be considered sexual assault, so the majority of those crimes are not even reported, and even when they are it is very difficult to prove and convict because its in the gray area in the first place.

I volenteer in a clinic for women and children who have been sexually abused and raped, and it is required that as a volenteer I take awareness classes 3 times a year and attend a yearly siminar to hear doctors, law enforcement , and psycologists speak about sexual abuse/assault.I have been doing this for 5 years.

I will tell you what the majority of sex crimes are.Statutory Rape.This is when and adult engadges in sexual acts with a minor with the minors concent.Most of the victims are teenagers, not small children.It is still considered a serious offence considering the emotional maturity of the victim.

The next most common form of sexual assault is rape or molestation of a child by a family member or family friend, uncles, grandfathers, stepfathers... very seldom a female member of the family is the perpertrator, although it does happen.Alcohol, drugs ,poverty, lack of education, and awareness, all add to these crimes, but it happens even in the most wealthiest and educated of families too.

The next type of crime is rape/date rape of a women by someone she knows and trusts.Attempted rape is also in this catagory and is considered assault.

All of these crimes are often not reported because of shame, confusion, and fear, so even with all of our statistics we are far from seeing the big picture. It is estimated that 1 out of every 3 women will be sexually asaulted in her lifetime.That means that 1 out of every three women you know might be or already has been a victim wheather you know about it or not.Like I said before most victims tell very few people if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaApril View Post
If you are worried about the chances... then avoid the situation. If you dress like a ****, people will treat you like one.... If you are out partying all night, there is a chance some drunk will hit on you...
Women can do things to lessen their chances of being raped by a stranger or on a date, by not going to bars alone, not using drugs, not drinking too much.Not walking alone or at night.The way a women dresses has nothing to do with rape.Rape has little to do with sex in the first place, it is about anger, power , control, and the urge to hurt someone severly.Unfortunately even alot of women have very poor attitutes like yours , and often blame the victim or even worse treat the victim as if they are liars.This creates the fear of not being believed, causes guilt and shame.Most victims (even young girls) never tell a soul because of this.It is because of ignorant attitudes and ill informed people spreading this type of BS that keeps sexual abuse and assault going, because the rapist/molesters know that even if the victim does tell that they are risking being ostracized and judged by their own friends families, and society in general.

I urge anyone who cares about thier female family members, and young children to educate themselves on sexual crimes.To be careful of the negative comments and attitudes concerning sexual crimes. It could happen to someone you love, or yourself.You dont want to make it clear to your loved ones that if they come to you in need, you will judge them or disbelieve what they have to tell you.

I dont think in Alaska one is at anymore risk than anywhere else.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I'd like to see more women carry a large handgun and blow these sick SOB's right out of thier frickin shoes. And anyone molesting children should be shot on sight. No questions asked.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,770 times
There is not law about statutory rape in Alaska, btw.

I don't know about the rest of the state, but most of these crimes here in Homer fall into two categories:

Drunken assaults in bars (or shortly after leaving bars)

Our ZIP code includes a whole bunch of remote villages where this sort of behavior is more prevalent.

My guess would be that there is a lot of drunken sexual assaults and that a lot of offenders move there for whatever reason, whether cheaper to live, better jobs, etc.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
There is not law about statutory rape in Alaska, btw.
Actually there is, it just is not called "statutory rape", but rather "Sexual Abuse of a Minor". See AS 11.41.436-443. In essence, the term "Statutory Rape" is not a legal term in Alaska, but the common meaning of the term very definitely describes something that is a criminal act in Alaska.

Quote:
I don't know about the rest of the state, but most of these crimes here in Homer fall into two categories:

Drunken assaults in bars (or shortly after leaving bars)

Our ZIP code includes a whole bunch of remote villages where this sort of behavior is more prevalent.
Which "remote villages" share zip codes with Homer?

Quote:
My guess would be that there is a lot of drunken sexual assaults and that a lot of offenders move there for whatever reason, whether cheaper to live, better jobs, etc.
Alcohol abuse is certainly one of the most highly correlated factors.

I don't know about Homer, but the urban areas of Anchorage and Fairbanks have very high violent crime rates related to victims from villages. One of the more significant reasons for that historically has been that village people have a distinctly different set of defense mechanisms learned as people grow into adulthood, and simply are unaware of the type of dangers in urban areas and/or how to protect themselves. (Chief among the differences is that in villages there is never any need to worry about strangers, while in urban areas that is a serious risk factor.)

Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Actually there is, it just is not called "statutory rape", but rather "Sexual Abuse of a Minor". See AS 11.41.436-443. In essence, the term "Statutory Rape" is not a legal term in Alaska, but the common meaning of the term very definitely describes something that is a criminal act in Alaska.
Which is my point. If someone is looking for statutory rape numbers in Alaska, there aren't any. You have to look for something else, and that something else is quite different than statutory rape laws in most states with which I'm familiar. What is legal here is illegal in many places, yet the numbers are still high.

Quote:
Which "remote villages" share zip codes with Homer?
Nanwalek, Port Graham, English Bay, Halibut Cove, and perhaps others. (Fritz Creek, also, but it's accessible by road, and not that far off the beaten track.) Also I think the Russian villages such as Vosnesenka, Razdolnah, Kachemak Selo, but I'm not certain about them.

Quote:
Alcohol abuse is certainly one of the most highly correlated factors.
Here in Homer, it's mostly whites. But really bad.

Quote:
I don't know about Homer, but the urban areas of Anchorage and Fairbanks have very high violent crime rates related to victims from villages. One of the more significant reasons for that historically has been that village people have a distinctly different set of defense mechanisms learned as people grow into adulthood, and simply are unaware of the type of dangers in urban areas and/or how to protect themselves. (Chief among the differences is that in villages there is never any need to worry about strangers, while in urban areas that is a serious risk factor.)
Doesn't seem to be a problem here in Homer. At least not yet.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:44 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times
Quote:
Which is my point. If someone is looking for statutory rape numbers in Alaska, there aren't any. You have to look for something else, and that something else is quite different than statutory rape laws in most states with which I'm familiar. What is legal here is illegal in many places, yet the numbers are still high.
I'm not familiar with laws in other states. What is it that is legal here and illegal in many other places?

I thought Alaska had adopted the Uniform Code or whatever they call it, and was now essentially the same as almost everywhere. It certainly was distinctly different for about the first decade or so after Statehood though.

Quote:
Nanwalek, Port Graham, English Bay, Halibut Cove, and perhaps others. (Fritz Creek, also, but it's accessible by road, and not that far off the beaten track.) Also I think the Russian villages such as Vosnesenka, Razdolnah, Kachemak Selo, but I'm not certain about them.
Interesting! I did a search on "zipcode nanwalek", and came up with a list of Alaska zip codes that I could search just for the 99603 zip. That list had exactly your list, and did not have the Russian communities listed.

Now my question is, do people in Port Graham, for example, have to go to the Post Office in Homer to get mail? Or do they have their own post office but just don't have their own zip?

Quote:
Here in Homer, it's mostly whites. But really bad.
Alcohol problems in Alaska are not distinct by race.

There are some attributes of alcohol use that do have different visibility which are distinct by culture (which pretty much equates to "race", except it isn't caused by racial distinctions). Some cultures tend to have "closet alcoholics", while in other cultures intoxication is cause in itself to be out in public. Different visibility, but both groups have very high rates for various socially unacceptable behavior...

Quote:
Doesn't seem to be a problem here in Homer. At least not yet.
(In relation to villagers being at high risk in urban areas) I suspect that Homer, and most other small towns, are socially much more similar to villages than they are to urban areas. Like in a village, it isn't the stranger in a dark alley that will hurt you, it's the people you choose to party with!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with laws in other states. What is it that is legal here and illegal in many other places?
(I'm going from memory here, based on some research I did a couple years back to try to discern just why the sexual offenders have such great numbers here.) But, the age of consent is 16 here. Different states have different ages. There are probably other differences, as well, such as permitting age ranges, etc.

But, what is legal and illegal is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone who searches on "statutory rape" and comes up with lower than real numbers because some sites convert the "sexual assault" to "statutory rape" and others don't. I've seen both and the numbers vary wildly.

Quote:
Now my question is, do people in Port Graham, for example, have to go to the Post Office in Homer to get mail? Or do they have their own post office but just don't have their own zip?
They have their own PO, but same ZIP. Even Fritz Creek, which is on the main road, has its own PO.

Quote:
Like in a village, it isn't the stranger in a dark alley that will hurt you, it's the people you choose to party with!

If you look at the FBI numbers, Homer has a higher than average crime rate. If you cut out the drunken assaults in bars, we have a very low crime rate. So you are quite correct in that it's not the strangers you have to worry about. It is like the village mentality, although for hunting and fishing purposes we are considered urban.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 22,703 times
Quote:
(

But, what is legal and illegal is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone who searches on "statutory rape" and comes up with lower than real numbers because some sites convert the "sexual assault" to "statutory rape" and others don't. I've seen both and the numbers vary wildly.

"Statutory" rape is simply , a term that describes an adult having sex with a minor with the minors consent.Prescribed or authorized by or punishable under a statute; "statutory restrictions"; "a statutory age limit"; "statutory crimes"; "statutory rape" .Therefor if there is a law that prohibits sex with a minor no matter of what age limit , then the law is statutory.

When I stated that this was the number 1 violation on the National sex offender registry, thats exactly what I meant. National, not only pertaining to Alaska or Homer.

I agree that it is difficult to know exactly what crime was committed by reading the description of the crime.The names can vary slightly from state to state.Though not too difficult to distinguish.

We get our data from Physicians, psycologists, police enforcement , and the victims themselves.

The number 1 form of REPORTED, sexual crime is the crime that pertains to an Adult having sex with a consenting minor, pre-teen and teen.Logically this would be the most common offence on the national registry as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks