Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:02 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times

Advertisements

Speaking of which...when do the water parks close in Vegas?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 73,641 times
Some of the pools are heated and never close but the water park that use to be here went out of business......The pools are amazing it had to much competition.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Arcticthaw is quite correct here...also

Quote:
Hi from Virginia. There are two mobile home and RV parks in North Pole, AK. It seems to be a lot for a town of its size. I suspect that the sex offender background limits the kind of jobs and pay these people can attain, and as a result they have to settle for lowest cost accomodations possible. When the online mapping became available in Virginia, I was surprised at how many of them seemed to be clustered downtown in and around the trailer park in downtown Richmond.
No. People do not move to North Pole or any other part of rural Alaska because there are two trailer parks and an RV park and therefore cheap living.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,802 times
I believe we had a conversation about a similar subject a while back as pertaining to Bethel. Someone (I forget who) brought up the fact that the number of rapes are higher in native communities, but they are almost always isolated within the family of the victim. Whether or not this is true, I don't know, but if it is it would certainly go a long way in explaining why small towns like that have such high crime rates. For example, Hoonah, a 69% native community in SE, has a sex offender ratio of 75-1. Unlike many of the other Southeastern communities Hoonah is not easily accessable by cruise ship and thus unable to garner as much income from the thriving tourist economy. Many of the natives in Hoonah live in poverty, suffering from alcoholism and what seems to be all around failure to thrive.
The sad truth is, high rape statistics may well be just another symptom of a disease that we caused.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I believe we had a conversation about a similar subject a while back as pertaining to Bethel. Someone (I forget who) brought up the fact that the number of rapes are higher in native communities, but they are almost always isolated within the family of the victim. Whether or not this is true, I don't know, but if it is it would certainly go a long way in explaining why small towns like that have such high crime rates. For example, Hoonah, a 69% native community in SE, has a sex offender ratio of 75-1. Unlike many of the other Southeastern communities Hoonah is not easily accessable by cruise ship and thus unable to garner as much income from the thriving tourist economy. Many of the natives in Hoonah live in poverty, suffering from alcoholism and what seems to be all around failure to thrive.
The sad truth is, high rape statistics may well be just another symptom of a disease that we caused.
I have heard similar information about earlier native culture, but they may of not looked upon it as rape. Yes now alcohol is a major factor in lots of these cases, but what I found interesting when looking at the database for offenders in the Fairbanks, North Pole area was the names didn't sound native.

Someone could spend a lifetime studying the statistics and still not fully understant what has happended and how to turn it around.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 AM

You are absolutely right, of course. North Pole is only some 7% native, but it could be that, like Bethel, some of the smaller native communities were lumped into the count of sex offenders but didn't end up on the census.
Of course, it could be that North Pole really is just a haven for sex offenders, but I'd like to think something else, because it seems like a nice enough town otherwise...

Old 10-01-2007, 06:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Off topic a bit--I don't know much about Hoonah but...I know of other villages and towns in SE that are not poverty stricken because they don't have the ships. In fact, I believe that in the long run, those ships and the lower 48 bs they bring with them are detrimental to the economy and the social health of the port cities. Petersburg is doing better financially than any of the rest and they had the brains years ago to say hell no when the damn ships wanted to infest them. (Just practicing up for my touron appreciation speech, Xa'at )

Old 10-01-2007, 06:34 PM

15 posts, read 151,743 times
Default Registered sex offenders

I went to this site: National Sex Offender Registry and found that there were 14 registered offenders with offenses towards minors out of the 34 sex offenders that were registered for the North Pole area. 34 was all that this site showed.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
Exclamation Correction!!!

Well I have to correct myself! Not something I have to do very often, though will admit when i am in error.

I was at the downtown post office today and they have a large map of the area showing the zip codes. To my supprise all of the Badger rd. area is in the 99705 zip. Not just the city of North Pole.

City data estimates the 2005 population at 16840, the registry shows 57 entries, that's 295 to 1 entry. More realistic numbers I think.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Well I have to correct myself! Not something I have to do very often, though will admit when i am in error.

I was at the downtown post office today and they have a large map of the area showing the zip codes. To my supprise all of the Badger rd. area is in the 99705 zip. Not just the city of North Pole.

City data estimates the 2005 population at 16840, the registry shows 57 entries, that's 295 to 1 entry. More realistic numbers I think.
Much more realistic. This may be an example of the census being more skewed than we'd like to believe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks