Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times

Advertisements

I read this on Wikipedia:

The Fairbanks area is sharply divided politically. The western part of the town centered on the University of Alaska Fairbanks is Democratic-leaning, while the downtown and the eastern parts near Fort Wainwright are Republican-leaning, and the North Pole area farther east is even more conservative. Thus, many residents have noted that a neighborhood's position on the map of Fairbanks (west to east) mirrors its political orientation (left to right). However, Fairbanks is much more conservative than most mid-sized cities in the US, with even the Democrats being what are known as "union Democrats" (fiscally liberal or moderate, socially conservative).

So, for all yall from Fairbanks, how true do you think this is?

Also, how long of a commute (time-wise) would it be to Fort Wainwright from:
Two Rivers
Fox
Salcha
North Pole

And would any of these commutes be a real problem during the winter months? (For someone who has is mission-essential and must be at work regardless of inclement weather).

One more question, I keep reading rentals/housing is impossible in Fairbanks right now. But when I pull up Craigs List, just on one day there were multiple listings.Would it truly be THAT hard for me to find a rental? (keep in mind that i would be coming with a job already lined up-Federal-excellent six figure salary-no kids-just me and three 25lb senior lap dogs-with excellent references including current and past landlords writing references on my DOGS which are spoiled rotten little quiet humans really). I have moved around quite a bit in my life and moved to places where people say "oh its so hard to find a place to rent" but every time i have ever moved i have never had a problem, even have rented places sight unseen, never even met the landlord, cuz once they find out that i am a middle aged health care professional with a guaranteed income in the federal government,get paid like clockwork, and have no rugrats (kids), landlords are eager to rent to me. heck, all some had to do was see pics of my dogs that emailed to them (for ones who were iffy about pets) and they automatically were like "ok no prob" and some have even gone as far as "dont even worry about a pet deposit". my current landlord gets nervous the few times i have ever been seen going out on a date because he is afraid i am going to get married and move! he starts asking "so is this guy someone you are serious about?" you arent planning to move EVER, are you??"""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 01:58 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
1. Yes, the political make-up you have mentioned is mostly true

2. From Salcha to Fairbanks 30-40 minutes of driving is plenty. North Pole is around 18 miles from Fairbanks, or around 20-25 minutes. From Fox it should take about 15-25 minutes, and a little longer from Two Rivers. I don't think that commuting from these areas to Fairbanks should be any trouble during the winter, at least 99% of the time. We get freezing rain sometimes, and the roads get quite sleek. But if you car has a set of studded tires, or stud-less (Blizzack), traction should be good. Also, every now we get a lot of snow during the night, so be prepared to either plow or shovel your driveway. Once you are on the road and moving along, you should not have much trouble making it to work.

The only problem I can see is renting an apartment if you have dogs, but some landlords allow for dogs. They just add a dog fee to the rent.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Thanks Ray.

And I would not be renting an "apartment". I dont do apartment living. I have always lived rural without neighbors, or at least not close by.

I drive a mega cab Dodge truck 4x4. I understand that I will probably have to get rid of my beloved oversized super swamper mudder tires. Also, I should probably buy a topper, right? Otherwise I would be shoveling snow out of my pickup bed all the time. Topper would be good anyway, cuz then all my stuff would be covered from inclement weather during the long drive if and when I move.

And can someone kind of "describe" these three towns for me, in terms of character/topography/people etc..any info to give me a "feel" for what these three towns would be like to live in, and the differences between them.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Thanks Ray.

And I would not be renting an "apartment". I dont do apartment living. I have always lived rural without neighbors, or at least not close by.

I drive a mega cab Dodge truck 4x4. I understand that I will probably have to get rid of my beloved oversized super swamper mudder tires. Also, I should probably buy a topper, right? Otherwise I would be shoveling snow out of my pickup bed all the time. Topper would be good anyway, cuz then all my stuff would be covered from inclement weather during the long drive if and when I move.

And can someone kind of "describe" these three towns for me, in terms of character/topography/people etc..any info to give me a "feel" for what these three towns would be like to live in, and the differences between them.
Yes, I would buy a topper if I were you. But you will find plenty of lifted trucks with big tires up here. The one below I bought recently. It's a 1988 Sierra 1500 with a 350 motor and a manual 5-speed transmission. It drinks fuel pretty good, but yours will be a lot more expensive if you have to drive to Fairbanks each day.

I have been looking for a bare bone "Camper Cash" for this truck, but haven't had any luck. The bed in this truck is small (4' wide x 6'5" long). The Camper Cash is a cab-over topper that has a set of 2-doors by the tailgate. When you open the two doors, you can drive an ATV inside. But the reason while I would like to buy one is so I can sleep in there when driving around Summit Lake and other places, instead of sleeping with the bears in a tent

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-29-2012 at 01:22 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 01:13 AM

FOX: much like a very large neighborhood spread-out, and with outside Fairbanks. To get there from Fairbanks, you drive up and over the hills at one side of Fairbanks on the Steese Highway. Fox is located on a small valley about 12-14 miles from Fairbanks. The Steese Highway turns right at a highway weigh station in the middle of Fox, toward Chatanika which is located perhaps 15 miles from Fox, then it continues out toward Central (long way).

Anyway, when coming out of Fox on the Steese (toward Chatanika), you will again be driving over some steep hills. Also, if you don't make a right turn by the weigh station in the middle of Fox and continue driving straight ahead, you will again start climbing some steep hills on your way to Livingood. So, (I will repeat myself once more ...if you don't turn right by the weigh station and continue driving straight ahead, you are now driving on the Elliott Highway, which a few miles past Livingood turn to the Dalton Highway. If you live in Fox, you are not too far from some pretty landscapes, and with easy access to Northern Lights viewing during the winter. The temperature on the hills around Fairbanks and around Fox usually is around 10 to 20 degrees higher than downtown Fairbanks. But in most areas around Fox you have to bring drinking water in because the ground water has too much natural arsenic. However, there is a spring and a tap where you can pick-up free and real good-tasting water year round, located about 500 yards away from the weigh station. Otherwise there are water delivery companies in Fairbanks (they charge around 9 cents per gallon if you buy over 500 gallons). A problem you need to be aware of is that in several areas around Fox cell phones do not work.

NORTH POLE: not really much of a town, at least not like any of the small towns in the lower-48. It has a city center which is comprised of a few businesses (Santa's House, fast food joints, three gas stations, a supermarket (Safeway), Sentry Hardware, a large hotel, and a whole bunch of houses all around and as far as Fairbanks. It's located around 18 miles form Fairbanks. Most products in North Pole are more expensive than Fairbanks (food, gasoline, etc.). Expect to pay from ten to twenty more cents for fuel than in Fairbanks. It's even more expensive than buying fuel in Fox. It's also very cold during the winter (like downtown Fairbanks).

Two Rivers: instead of living that far, I would just look for a cabin or house along Chena Hot Springs Road. This is a very long road (around 50 miles), and with plenty of high ground (where is warmer during the winter) closer to Fairbanks. Then it starts dropping further down the road, and getting colder. So, Two Rivers is quite cold during the Winter.

Salcha: too noisy, specially during the military training. Lots of aircraft flying over Salcha, and even colder than Fairbanks during the winter. The Tanana River at one side, and Eielson AFB at the other side, with the Richardson Highway right through the middle.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-29-2012 at 01:24 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 03:08 PM

886 posts, read 5,715,596 times
Are you planing on driving up? If you are let me know I am sure I can get a bunch of your fuel paid for if you are willing to haul some stuff up.

BTW my wife and I live just out side of North Pole. I work on Eielson and she works in Fairbanks. It takes us about 20 min in the summer and 30 min in the winter to get to work.

There are plenty of rural places in North Pole. If you want someone to check them out for you and take some pictures let me know.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 29,591 times
If you are making 6 figures, I would just buy a cabin. Rentals are a sellers market right now especially if you have dogs. You will be amazed at how much people get for really run down, smokey, worn out rentals. We have decided that we are going to rent the cheapest place we can find for a year and save to buy a cabin in Goldstream, Chena Ridge, or Ester. If I had your income I would skip renting.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 AM

45 posts, read 90,862 times
I commute from Two Rivers to downtown Fairbanks each day, from the time I walk out the door and look at the clock at work when I get there it takes 50 minutes, that's sitting on 55 - 60mph. The Chevy Impala (3.8 V6) I drive averages 32mpg each week.

The cost of renting surprises me, cheaper to pay a mortgage.

As for Two Rivers, it's got a shop, laundromat and a post office, which is about all you need.. maybe a few other things I haven't found or noticed yet.

Last edited by Lonney105; 08-08-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
My mother was born and raised in Two Rivers. The lights you see in this cam Live view - AXIS P5532-E Network Camera are fireflies.

Not everything is bigger in Texas.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 PM

heard lots of dog mushers in Two Rivers............awesome....that would sound like my kind of place. (though my dogs are little lap dogs, but i am just a dog person and love dog people, period!).
by the way, a few months ago i was looking at Craigs List ads for rental homes and i saw one say "no dog sled teams". that was so funny!!! ONLY IN ALASKA!!! well, yall up there might not see the humor in it, but me coming from Texas, its very funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks