Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM

42 posts, read 61,010 times

Advertisements

Well,

We thought we would be moving to Soldotna, but it turns out we are moving to Fairbanks! My husband, 3 kids (9 and 7 year old twins), and yorkie are looking forward to the move!

I just wanted to introduce myself and meet some Fairbanksans before we make it up. The culture shock shouldn't be too bad since we are coming from a small town in Montana. :-)

Nice to meet everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,826 times
Welcome up. My son was born in Kalispell. I'm right outside of Fairbanks and love it.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Welcome up. My son was born in Kalispell. I'm right outside of Fairbanks and love it.
Thanks! We're excited to get there and get started! We're looking forward to some ice fishing, hunting, and berry picking. my children are 9, 7, and 7 so I think it will be really fun.

We're arriving in mid-December, do you know of any community events happening in December/January? I'd hate to get there and be a homebody!

Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 PM

I have a 14 year old son and an 11 year old daughter. Dec/Jan is pretty slow due to the cold and also, this is the time we rest lol. Summers are so frantically busy, deep winter is a time of snuggling down at home, doing indoor projects, and resting. Of course, you can go to our several museums, explore town and the surrounding areas. Go out to Chena Hot Springs. Have lunch out at Chatanika then walk across the road to check out the gold dredge. While at Chatanika, ask to watch the gold dredge video which shows some of Fairbanks gold history as well as the history of the dredge across the road. Check out the Large Animal Research Station. You can go to concerts, or see a play, or the rollergirls or a hockey game. Take the kids to North Pole to see Santa Claus House and the reindeer. Then in Feb, we have the Yukon Quest, and the Open North American sled dog races that are very exciting. We have the World Ice Art Championships here and they also have a really fun kids park with ice slides and mazes etc. Are you on Facebook? You are welcome to friend me. https://www.facebook.com/georganne.hurthampton

Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
The biggest winter community event in the state is Fur Rendezvous in Anchorage in late February. It's a 350 mile drive of course, but a good excuse to take a long weekend and check out a big chunk of the state. Where else can you ride a ferris wheel in the snow? Late winter is all about dog racing and ice carving in Fairbanks. Arctic Man is a bunch of snowmachine races and partying in the mountains south of Delta in early April, but everybody says it's a big hillbilly party (not appropriate for kids?) Never been myself so I can't say.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Yeah, I probably would not bring a kid to Arctic Man. It's not quite as raunchy as some of the goers like to make it out to be (WE'RE SO EXXXTREME syndrome) but it's not really family-friendly, either.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I have a 14 year old son and an 11 year old daughter. Dec/Jan is pretty slow due to the cold and also, this is the time we rest lol. Summers are so frantically busy, deep winter is a time of snuggling down at home, doing indoor projects, and resting. Of course, you can go to our several museums, explore town and the surrounding areas. Go out to Chena Hot Springs. Have lunch out at Chatanika then walk across the road to check out the gold dredge. While at Chatanika, ask to watch the gold dredge video which shows some of Fairbanks gold history as well as the history of the dredge across the road. Check out the Large Animal Research Station. You can go to concerts, or see a play, or the rollergirls or a hockey game. Take the kids to North Pole to see Santa Claus House and the reindeer. Then in Feb, we have the Yukon Quest, and the Open North American sled dog races that are very exciting. We have the World Ice Art Championships here and they also have a really fun kids park with ice slides and mazes etc. Are you on Facebook? You are welcome to friend me. https://www.facebook.com/georganne.hurthampton
Thanks! That is awesome information! I friended you on Facebook as well.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, I probably would not bring a kid to Arctic Man. It's not quite as raunchy as some of the goers like to make it out to be (WE'RE SO EXXXTREME syndrome) but it's not really family-friendly, either.
Lol, my husband and I would love to go to Arctic Man, but sans kids.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
The biggest winter community event in the state is Fur Rendezvous in Anchorage in late February. It's a 350 mile drive of course, but a good excuse to take a long weekend and check out a big chunk of the state. Where else can you ride a ferris wheel in the snow? Late winter is all about dog racing and ice carving in Fairbanks. Arctic Man is a bunch of snowmachine races and partying in the mountains south of Delta in early April, but everybody says it's a big hillbilly party (not appropriate for kids?) Never been myself so I can't say.
What is Fur Rendevouz? Someone mentioned it to my in-laws while we were in Sitka, but none of us knew what she was talking about! Excited about the ice carving and dog mushing. I can see my kids really loving all of that!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 AM

Anchorage, Alaska, Fur Rondy, Anchorage Fur Rendezvous Festival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks