Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times

Advertisements

Yikes - 200 miles costs $100 to drive your truck. About $0.50 per mile in just fuel... Works out to around 8 miles per gallon... Of course that is assuming $4 / gal fuel. (not sure what you are paying at the moment)

Either way, I can see why you like driving the civic. That $100 probably pays for the month for fuel for it. I'd get those plugs and battery changed/charged asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM
xcv

22 posts, read 36,219 times
Go online or have a national store order them with wheels! Keep your regular tires and wheels for summer. The reason you keep the wheels is so you can change them yourself.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
On my two visits to Fairbanks, March 2011 was rather icy and Feb 2012 less so. Overall, did OK with the AWD mid-size SUV rental from Avis and plan on renting from them again in Jan 2013. During my visits I drive between Cleary Summit and Fairbanks. Avis' site mentions they have 'snow tires' on request, but I do not know if this means studded tires.

Are snow tires, winter tires, and studded tires the same thing?

I find that when calling a place the info I receive depends on who answers the phone that day--so while I will be calling Avis about their specific tires and availability, I want to ask here as well. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM

42 posts, read 60,986 times
Nice ride, Ray! I saw that Costco is the only option for Blizzaks around here (currently in MT), so I'll likely have the. Installed. It's a family ride and I don't foresee myself doing a lot of off road type stuff this winter! I do have quite a lot of experience with all sorts of weather and driving! But, safer is better.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Yikes - 200 miles costs $100 to drive your truck. About $0.50 per mile in just fuel... Works out to around 8 miles per gallon... Of course that is assuming $4 / gal fuel. (not sure what you are paying at the moment)

Either way, I can see why you like driving the civic. That $100 probably pays for the month for fuel for it. I'd get those plugs and battery changed/charged asap.
Fuel has been under $4.00 per gallon for a couple of weeks, but since our vehicles take a lot more time idling during the winter, more fuel than normal is used. Driving the Civic takes about $28.00 per week instead of $100.00

Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow-Mama View Post
Nice ride, Ray! I saw that Costco is the only option for Blizzaks around here (currently in MT), so I'll likely have the. Installed. It's a family ride and I don't foresee myself doing a lot of off road type stuff this winter! I do have quite a lot of experience with all sorts of weather and driving! But, safer is better.
Just keep in mind that the Blizzack's rubber is softer than all-season tires. But if you are driving here during the winter, I see no trouble with much tire wear.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
On my two visits to Fairbanks, March 2011 was rather icy and Feb 2012 less so. Overall, did OK with the AWD mid-size SUV rental from Avis and plan on renting from them again in Jan 2013. During my visits I drive between Cleary Summit and Fairbanks. Avis' site mentions they have 'snow tires' on request, but I do not know if this means studded tires.

I find that when calling a place the info I receive depends on who answers the phone that day--so while I will be calling Avis about their specific tires and availability, I want to ask here as well. Thanks.
Snow tires have treads that are more aggressive than all-season and summer tires, and come in two versions: studded and non-studded.

However, Blizzack tires don't have steel studs like a snow-studded tire does. It has instead a sort of non-skid (like sand or metallic shaving) material mixed-in with the rubber compound in the treads. Also, the treads are a little more pronounced than an all-season tire. This tread is designed to serve as a snow tire, and to provide friction on glare ice. A snow tire without steel studs provides traction when driving on snow and soft ground because it has very aggressive treads, but not so much when driving on ice. But add steel studs to a snow tire, and it provides traction on both snow and ice. Blizzack tires do both to a lesser degree on both snow and ice.

That said, steel studs do wear out in two or three seasons, while the material used on Blizzack tire lats for the duration of the tire since it's mixed-in with the rubber compound on the tread, although the rubber compound is softer.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Appreciate the info, Ray, and looking forward to being in Fairbanks again soon.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Snow Tires and Winter Tires are roughly interchangeable terms. The actual term is Winter Rated Tires, which are designated by the M+S stamp on the sidewall indicating they meet the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) guidelines for a mud and snow tire, and the little Snowflake symbol indicating they pass the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) testing procedure described in "RMA Definition for Passenger and Light Truck Tires for use in Severe Snow Conditions".

Metal studs can be added separately if desired to help with traction on Ice.

AFAIK, Avis at the FAI airport does not have any vehicles with studs. They do switch most of their rentals over to winter tires however. And they also rent 4WD Toyota RAV 4's and even have Subaru Outbacks now. Also, during the slow winter periods they often upgrade me from a standard car to a 4wd for free. You might be able to work a deal like this at the counter when you arrive. But as discussed earlier in this thread, most of the time when I'm up in Fairbanks for just a day or two on business, a front wheel drive Camry with winter tires is more than adequate.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info, Moose--in the past Avis told me they use all-weather tires; they didn't say anything about changing over to winter tires so that is good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks