U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 PM

2,256 posts, read 1,899,192 times

Advertisements

I am moving up to Alaska in June.

My plan is to drive up taking about 3 weeks to get there dining a camping/driving vacation as I've never had a real vacation. In Alaska we will be visiting Fairbanks and the Peninsula and so far I have about 2-3 additional weeks available to put an eye on things.

It will be myself and my daughter.

I am a nurse and am not worried about getting employed as much as where to get employed but I'm hesitant to commit to a hospital or town sight unseen. The weather is not an issue nor is remoteness or lack of roads. We are a pretty adventurous bunch and my daughter actually is more adventurous than I am.

I'm currently looking at Fairbanks, Nome, or Kenai. Or any suburbs or towns near or about these areas.

Anyone have any experience with the hospitals in these areas? Namely Fairbanks Memorial, Norton Sound Regional or Central Peninsula hospital.

My initial thoughts are that I am really leaning towards Nome as we want to be out there so to speak but Kenai speaks to me and Fairbanks seems pretty out there as well.

Also, does anyone have any idea how much flights to Nome from Fairbanks run? I would really like to see it before committing if that was my choice.

I'm already committed to Alaska, it is just these final details that I'd like to nail down.

Also , and this is the last question. I already have my paper work ready for my rifles and shotgun since we are going through Canada. My issue is handguns. Has anyone FFL'ed them to themselves ( hard because I don't know where I am going to end up) or had someone FFL or ship them after landing? Selling them are not on the table.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM

4,718 posts, read 9,324,842 times
Regarding your pistols, IIRC, Stiffnecked posted that he likes to ship them airfreight with Alaska airlines. However, not so sure they would hold them for several weeks until you got there to pick them up. Do you have someone that could air freight them to you once you got there?

I did not see Nome, but Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Kenai were all areas I wouldn't have a problem moving to. since you want remote, you may want to look at some of the bush communities too. I want to get to AK and be on the road system at first, but you sound like you could skip that...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Regarding your pistols, IIRC, Stiffnecked posted that he likes to ship them airfreight with Alaska airlines. However, not so sure they would hold them for several weeks until you got there to pick them up. Do you have someone that could air freight them to you once you got there?

I did not see Nome, but Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Kenai were all areas I wouldn't have a problem moving to. since you want remote, you may want to look at some of the bush communities too. I want to get to AK and be on the road system at first, but you sound like you could skip that...
I don't mind the road system so much. I have been looking at Nome and Kotzebue though.

I'm probably going to try and get my friend to ship them to me. Alaska airlines comes to our airport. Not sure how it will work.

The Canadian guy i emailed about this pretty much told me I could apply for an Authorization to Transport but had a better chance of sneaking my guns over the border successfully. Lolol...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM

If your pistols have less than 4.5" barrel you might as well try to get an RPG across. Also magazines that hold more than 10 rounds are prohibited. Not worth the hassle or expense, IMHO. Always check with Canada customs in the province you will cross over into now and just prior to leaving, even with your long guns and double check to make sure nothing has changed.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
If your pistols have less than 4.5" barrel you might as well try to get an RPG across. Also magazines that hold more than 10 rounds are prohibited. Not worth the hassle or expense, IMHO. Always check with Canada customs in the province you will cross over into now and just prior to leaving, even with your long guns and double check to make sure nothing has changed.
Lol.

Most of my handguns are 4" and all my magazines are 12 rounders lolol.

According to the Canadian website my long guns are good but your idea is a good one. Hmmm...

What a pain in the rear.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM

Yes, it can be. But remember you are going to and thru a foreign country as a non-citizen. Gotta play by their rules. If you made multiple trips, then I could suggest some Canadian courses that you can take, become certified, pay a bunch of money, and then be able to take your guns with you. (Purchase and Acquisition License or PAL). I almost thought of taking a course, but none were available or near where I was going to be... Even though it really isn't worth it for the occasional drive thru Canada.

You can always take a long, expensive ferry ride from Bellingham over to AK and bring your arsenal along with you... Although you will really miss out on some awesome scenery, especially if you go thru Banff and the Canadian Ice Fields. Which I HIGHLY recommend.

I have two pistols that have long enough barrels, but alas, the magazines hold way more than 10...

Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,484,868 times
A few thoughts...

I would recommend a copy of the Milepost for your drive up. The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner.

For the touristy stuff once you get here, I'd recommend some time on the Trip Advisor forum for Alaska: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Norton Sound Regional in Nome is a brand new hospital that they just completed, if that helps. I don't think Alaska Air flies from Nome to Fairbanks... I think their Nome flights all originate out of Anchorage. It looks like it's about $500 or so for a ticket.

Barrow is in the process of building a new hospital also. And then there's three in Anchorage and MatSu Regional in the Valley.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM

20,619 posts, read 20,211,872 times
Avoid Nome like the plague! Fairbanks, Kenai etc are fine, no worries, but Nome... UGH not even for a $1,000,000 salary would I live there. Visit before you make a choice if you are seriously considering Nome. I prefer Kenai to Fairbanks because it's more beautiful and has better outdoor options. However, I may be a bit biased because I grew up around Anchorage and Wasilla.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM

I second the milepost and if you have an android or Idevice (apple) you can get an electronic copy with the hard copy. Possible that there is still a PDF version available too...

A lot of threads here detail the dos and do nots of the drive, so while we are that topic: keep fuel topped off as much as possible, keep food and survival supplies for you, basic hand tools for the car (I have a trip kit for my vehicles with spare consumables), remember that at certain points in your journey help is far away and expensive, traditional cell service in Canada is ok in the south Canada, ok around major towns, spotty in the north even in the small towns. Bring some loonies (canadian dollar) with you and plan to fuel up right as you leave Canada. Your credit cards may or may not work. I only used Amex in Canada which worked fine, but some gas stations, stores, and restaurants periodically lose the ability to take them (happened on my trips, but since I had loonies so no big deal) bring toilet paper and be prepared, even at some fuel stops to use an outhouse or port-o-let.

Have a camera handy for IMHO is the most beautiful drive you will ever take.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM

1,805 posts, read 3,357,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Avoid Nome like the plague! Fairbanks, Kenai etc are fine, no worries, but Nome... UGH not even for a $1,000,000 salary would I live there.
What is it about Nome that you would not consider it for a million buck salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks