Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM

6 posts, read 6,096 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm moving my family and myself to the area in June, courtesy of the USAF. Looking for some driving advise for the trip up. I have the Milepost and searched the web for info, but have not found a lot of info about crossing the Canadian border from further east. I am stopping in Northern Wisconsin to visit family, so the easiest way to head north is to cut across to Minot N.D., and head north to Edmonton. Unfortunately, the Milepost says nothing about that leg and all I can find online is info from further west. Anyone have any info on that leg? Or am I just a fool for wanting to travel it. It is cutting about a days drive off my trip. Thanks in advance.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
People usually wait until western Montana to cross into Canada because gas is so much cheaper in the US. Plus the drive up the Canadian Rockies is one of the most beautiful in the world.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM

That's what I hear, gas prices, but heading west to Montana adds about 600 miles to the trip, X2 cars and that's an extra 1200 miles of gas at about 18mpg avg for both cars. And looking at the map, it seems like you do not really get into the Canadian Rockies until after Edmonton anyway. I'm just weighing my options.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM

So looking at Edmonton gasbuddy, it says avg price is about 100.9. Is that a Litre? and approx what would that convert to in US Dollars?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM

34 posts, read 72,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgersam View Post
So looking at Edmonton gasbuddy, it says avg price is about 100.9. Is that a Litre? and approx what would that convert to in US Dollars?
yup. i think right now the conversion is pretty much 1/1 us/can.

enjoy the drive. it's a good one.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times
We always come up through Minot, easier drive.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgersam View Post
Hey all,

I'm moving my family and myself to the area in June, courtesy of the USAF. Looking for some driving advise for the trip up. I have the Milepost and searched the web for info, but have not found a lot of info about crossing the Canadian border from further east. I am stopping in Northern Wisconsin to visit family, so the easiest way to head north is to cut across to Minot N.D., and head north to Edmonton. Unfortunately, the Milepost says nothing about that leg and all I can find online is info from further west. Anyone have any info on that leg? Or am I just a fool for wanting to travel it. It is cutting about a days drive off my trip. Thanks in advance.

Steve
If you are going to Juneau you may have to decide if you want to drive through Alaska or not. Driving through Alaska will be more expensive (longer distance), so you may want to look at the sea routes that lead to Juneau. Take a close look at the map of Alaska: the sea routes are closer to Juneau than to Anchorage, for example.

Since drove to the interior of Alaska, I don't have enough experience about the sea routes. Hopefully somebody can help you with such.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
The OP is planning on moving to the Fairbanks area in June; you must have gotten that far and thought he typed "Juneau."

Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The OP is planning on moving to the Fairbanks area in June; you must have gotten that far and thought he typed "Juneau."
Oops! I did.

My apologies to the OP.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Hey, thanks to all for the advise. I am really looking forward to the trip, in total, it will be me, my wife, two real good friends looking for an adventure, two kids, two dogs, and a goldfish my daughter refuses to leave here. LOL. Hence, the two cars. We really are taking our time, probably about 20 days, camping along the way, and if we see something we want to do, we are going to stop and do it. I have a total of about 30 days to get there, but will probably sign in early.

My concern is mainly the trip from Minot to Edmonton, looks flat and kind of boring, a good stretch to make up some time. Thanks 1stimestar, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking forward to living in your beautiful state for at least the next three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks