U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:20 PM

213 posts, read 382,028 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine get Jet A from the FBO is to buy a couple of gallons of "sumps" from the them, that is one way of getting Jet A. They will usually sell it under the table at the smaller mom and pop ops. We burn it in our kerosene heater when it cools off down here, once in a blue moon, we will put it in our tractor (yes Diesel can run Jet A). We only average a gallon or two a season since it only gets cold a couple of weeks here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM

33 posts, read 62,418 times
They quit putting dye in any of the fuel in the '90's.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:45 PM

7,767 posts, read 4,887,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift1 View Post
Guess these guys are wrong then...
Publication 510 (07/2012), Excise Taxes

Quote:
Dyed diesel fuel and dyed kerosene are subject to $.001 per gallon LUST tax as discussed below, unless the fuel is for export.
Quote:
Penalty. A penalty is imposed on a person if any of the following situations apply.
  1. Any dyed fuel is sold or held for sale by the person for a use the person knows or has reason to know is not a nontaxable use of the fuel.
  2. Any dyed fuel is held for use or used by the person for a use other than a nontaxable use and the person knew, or had reason to know, that the fuel was dyed.
  3. The person willfully alters, chemically or otherwise, or attempts to so alter, the strength or composition of any dye in dyed fuel.
  4. The person has knowledge that a dyed fuel that has been altered, as described in (3) above, sells or holds for sale such fuel for any use for which the person knows or has reason to know is not a nontaxable use of the fuel.
I mean what would the IRS know about taxation of fuels...?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:46 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,011,257 times
Quote:
Sorry -- The EPA mandates use of a red dye to identify high-sulfur fuels for off-road use. The IRS regulation 26 C.F.R. 48.4082-1 mandates use of the same red dyes, in fivefold concentration, for tax-exempt diesel fuels such as heating oil; their argument for the higher dye content is to allow detection even when diluted with "legal" fuel.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 PM

http://www.us.kpmg.com/microsite/tax...ct/n-10-68.pdf

I will summarize:

Dye not required in ALASKA since 1996.

Alaska CFR 49 supercedes IRS regulations.

Law extended again in 2010.

FYI

Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM

7,767 posts, read 4,887,782 times
Quote:
http://www.us.kpmg.com/microsite/tax...ct/n-10-68.pdf

I will summarize:

Dye not required in ALASKA since 1996.

Alaska CFR 49 supercedes IRS regulations.

Law extended again in 2010.

FYI
That's great and all, but where does AK get its fuel from?

I'll give you a hint it's not here...

So any fuel that is shipped here, is going to follow Federal Regulations. Meaning dyed for non-tax purposes and not dyed for transportation fuel taxable purposes. See how that works...

Whether it's required in AK or not is moot, non-tax Kerosene is ONLY available in AK with red dye, I've never seen K-1 clear here that wasn't taxed.

If AK had the ability and will to refine it's own fuels then the CFR you're pointing at would make sense, and we may have some ability (although I suspect we can't refine the quantities needed by the state to be self sufficient refinery wise), we certainly don't have the will. Almost all liquid fuels sold in Alaska is refined out of state.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:23 PM

Wow. I guess all those years I worked at the Refinery making fuel just got flushed down the drain?

Try Google. It works. I'll give you a hint: There are 4 refineries in Alaska making heating fuel. NO FUEL (as in ZERO) gets shipped to Alaska. All fuel, heating oil, Jet Fuel, and gasoline that is burned here was made here.

Only exception to that is high octane "race" fuels and 100 "Av Gas". Those are shipped here.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 PM

Flint Hills Resources - Alaska

I helped make the fuel at this Refinery for 15 years. If you are in Alaska, you are burning fuel that came from here.

Kerosene is Kerosene. Additives are added to it for the military, and it becomes "JP-8". No additives are added to it when sold as Jet A to the airport, or as #1 Heating Oil to all the heating oil delivery companies. Same product, just different taxes.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM

Tesoro Corporation: Environment

This refinery makes ALL the Low Sulfur Diesel and gasoline in the state. Yes, ALL. None gets shipped in from the lower 48. Or Canada. Or Japan. Or where ever.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 PM

Petro Star Inc. - Excellence in Energy.

And there are 2 little refineries like this--one in North Pole, and another in Valdez--owned by ASRC that also make Kerosene and other products.

All 4 make Kerosene. None add dye to it. All sell it as Jet-A or #1 Heating oil.

I wonder why so many guys with diesel trucks drive around with big fuel tanks in the bed?? Could they be filling them at a bulk retailer with Heating oil for their homes, and possibly accidentally filling their trucks fuel tank with it also??? No way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or