U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,997,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift1 View Post
Petro Star Inc. - Excellence in Energy.

And there are 2 little refineries like this--one in North Pole, and another in Valdez--owned by ASRC that also make Kerosene and other products.

All 4 make Kerosene. None add dye to it. All sell it as Jet-A or #1 Heating oil.

I wonder why so many guys with diesel trucks drive around with big fuel tanks in the bed?? Could they be filling them at a bulk retailer with Heating oil for their homes, and possibly accidentally filling their trucks fuel tank with it also??? No way!
Ok, if this is the case and you can get undyed kerosene/Jet-A/#1HO at the pump -- WHERE do I go to get my tank/barrel filled? As I've mentioned, the #1HO that I've seen used down in the village is dyed... I heat primarily with wood, so the only experience I have with #1HO up here is what other folks use in their Toyos that's been barged down or brought back in self-serve barrels.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 AM

33 posts, read 62,246 times
Alaska Aerofuel has a place at the airport in Fairbanks that is the best place to get bulk fuel. You can fill your tanks/drums/whatever there, and you get it cheaper since delivery charges aren't included.

On another note, if there is dyed fuel in drums in the villages, that explains a lot about why fuel out there is so expensive. I have heard the complaints about $7-8/gallon fuel. There must be some explainable reason to get fuel shipped up from the lower 48 to a village rather than from Fairbanks. I can't imagine what that reason would be. They fill huge barges with fuel from the North Pole refineries in Nenana to take out to the villages.

Last edited by Shift1; 05-28-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 AM

33 posts, read 62,246 times
When you go to the airport to get the fuel, make sure you tell them you want #1 heating oil, not Jet-A, even though it will be pumped into your drums from the same tank. Jet-A is $5.65/gallon, and the #1 will be about $3.75-3.95/gallon.

Again, EXACT SAME product with different taxes applied.

Red dye is not added to ANY product at ANY facility in Alaska. Red-dyed products in a drum either came from out of state or it is ANCIENT fuel. Shipping costs alone for a drum of red-dyed kerosene from the states would be $10/gallon!!! That wouldn't be practical to burn anywhere. Major fuel ports are in Galena and Ft. Yukon. These places should have Alaskan-made heating oil products at more reasonable prices.

Thanks for deleting all my posts. I didn't really like writing them.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 PM

I think the major expense of HO out here is transportation. Nothing big/heavy gets delivered down here (150 miles each way) without at least $500 freight charge on it, either by haul road, plane or barge... and we're lucky because we can be accessed by all 3, most bush folks only have one option (river or air).

I'll check out the airport when I'm in town and verify their #1 Heating Oil is interchangeable with K1 Clear Kerosene... if it is, I'll be extremely happy to be able to buy in bulk so I have enough for the 6mo I don't come to town in the winter without having a gazillion steel pails piled up everywhere!

Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,838,824 times
I use a kerosene heater as a back up and had heard that the Sourdough Bulk Plant in Fairbanks sold kerosene. I called them and the price quote is $10.85/gallon if you bring your own container. That is no less expensive than buying the whole package at local retailers at $50 for 5 gallons.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I use a kerosene heater as a back up and had heard that the Sourdough Bulk Plant in Fairbanks sold kerosene. I called them and the price quote is $10.85/gallon if you bring your own container. That is no less expensive than buying the whole package at local retailers at $50 for 5 gallons.
That's just crazy! Spending more per gallon just to be able to use a reusable container -- WTH???

Unfortunately, last time I was in town we didn't make it to the airport to check the various fuel prices

Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 PM

9,211 posts, read 18,282,776 times
$5.88 / Gal as of last week, AirNav: PAFA - Fairbanks International Airport

Old 12-27-2013, 10:40 PM

Hlf-price -- that's more like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or