Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,493,626 times

Advertisements

Interesting Ray - If you don't need one, why would you want one? From my own experience and research, it makes auto insurance more expensive and the penalties for traffic offense more severe.... And your license renewals are more too. Granted, this is Florida experience not AK. Just my .02 mind you. If I thought that I might one day need one, I would get one - but not just to have it.

I guess I am missing something here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:42 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,593,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Interesting Ray - If you don't need one, why would you want one? From my own experience and research, it makes auto insurance more expensive and the penalties for traffic offense more severe.... And your license renewals are more too. Granted, this is Florida experience not AK. Just my .02 mind you. If I thought that I might one day need one, I would get one - but not just to have it.

And remember... It takes more than just a CDL. You also have to have your medical card. Mine expired just after I stopped driving school bus. I didn't see the need to pay the for the exam if I didn't need the card since I'm not driving. I got a letter from the DMV last week saying they were reviewing CDL's and noticed I did not have a current medical on file and reminded me that I would need it to drive commercially.
When my license is up for renewal next March, I'll just go back to a regular license.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM

20,277 posts, read 37,055,578 times
Quote:

A large number of military members who stayed in Alaska in the '80s and earlier turned their military heavy equipment operator licenses to CDLs. That's how I got mine. At the beginning I had most of the endorsements needed, including hazardous materials. In later years I have let most endorsements expire, but still have a Class-A CDL and double/triple trailer and tanker endorsements. It costs around $100.00 every five years. Retiring military members or ones who get out of the military and stay here can easily switch their heavy equipment drivers licenses to CDL.

We also have several union and non-union driver training centers, plus a huge number of drivers who work for the DOT, the oil industry, tourism (the tour companies), schools (buses, etc.), several moving and transport companies, and so on. There are a huge number of CDL license holders in Alaska. What we don't have enough of are roads to drive on. Alaska does not have a lot of roads.

Yes, the rules are more strict for CDL-holder drivers, but if one does not brake the rules it makes no difference.

By the way, we have a lot of small airplane pilots, too. Also, if the cost of living would not be so high compared to most places in the lower-48 States, Alaska would be quite profitable to a lot of people. But take the OP with her 8 kids: there is no way she can make it around Fairbanks without public assistance. The main problem would be the high cost of shelter, and food.

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-28-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 AM

I understand why there are high numbers of CDL holders in AK (And private pilots too!), just not that I would want to keep one up if I wasn't using it or planning on needing it. Converting over makes sense and I can see why you would do that...

I don't intentionally break the rules - but if you did the penalties are higher and your insurance could be too. I like to mitigate my potential expenses when possible. In a nutshell, if it costing me money overall, I am not interesting in it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 AM

20,277 posts, read 37,055,578 times
Quote:
I understand why there are high numbers of CDL holders in AK (And private pilots too!), just not that I would want to keep one up if I wasn't using it or planning on needing it. Converting over makes sense and I can see why you would do that...

I don't intentionally break the rules - but if you did the penalties are higher and your insurance could be too. I like to mitigate my potential expenses when possible. In a nutshell, if it costing me money overall, I am not interesting in it.

Thanks for the explanation.
Something else I forgot to mention. In here a lot of us do some construction work on our houses where often a CDL is needed. For example, if redoing the septic system in the house lots of gravel and other materials have to be moved around in large dump trucks, and a tracked backhoe is also needed. And then a large trailer and truck to get the backhoe home and back to the rental company. If one has the money to pay a construction company to do the work, then that's a good plan. But some people do the work themselves after attending a training class. If I well remember the class cost around $50.00. This is only one example of numerous.

Also, in some places of work a CDL comes handy if one wants to transfer from an office (for example), to grounds maintenance or any other areas where a CDL is required. In this case the company would pay for the renewal, but some companies require periodic urine tests for drugs Overall, a CDL just gives you a few more choices compared to another person at your workplace who does not have one. But if you never need one, then it's a waste of money.

I got mine before retiring from the military back in '94.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM

Makes sense - I do my own work around here, but rarely need to move something that would require a CDL. I can move a small front end loader without one - the ones that the trailer and loader weigh under 26k lbs. Same thing with the drain rock. Notice how the GCVWR of dump trucks is always 25999.

At my current employment, I am exempt from needing one. I can drive for official work purposes, anything I need to. And I get routine drug and medical tests too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks