Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,553 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a retired single woman living in Kansas and I am trying to complete my bucket list. One of my top 10 is to see the northern lights,,,,up close and personal.

I have read that Fairbanks area is an excellent choice to see some awesome displays. Can anyone give me any suggestions on planning a trip. When to travel and where to focus my plans. Any advise would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
You need three things to see northern lights:
1) Aurora activity. Totally based on what the solar activity is. Random luck of the draw.
2) Clear, dark skies. The clear skies is luck of the draw, depending on the weather. The dark skies just require being away from city lights. A full moon reflecting off of the snow can be a nuisance too. Fairbanks works be being dark as long as it's between mid September and mid April.
3) Being far enough north. Fairbanks, or even Anchorage works for that. So does Iceland, Norway, Sweden, etc...

So you want a trip in the winter, you want to plan on being here a week and you want to be prepare to possibly not see them no matter how hard you try.

On the Trip Advisor Forum for Alaska, there's a Top Questions section on the right hand side. One of the topics is on viewing the Northern Lights. Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska, United States

Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,553 times
Thanks for taking the time to share this information.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 PM

189 posts, read 282,917 times
I'd recommend Fairbanks over Anchortown for Aurora viewing. I've lived many years in both and would say Fairbanks tends to have more 'viewings', mostly due to cloud cover. If you're not seeing them in Fairbanks town, just head up to Ester Dome, and you'll be above the inversion. Plus, the view towards Denali is beautiful, and I've gotten tons of amazing pictures of the Aurora over Fairbanks with Denali towards the side.

However, count me in directly with AKStafford - it's really random luck of the draw. Depending on where you are, if you hear of a large solar storm coming, you can try to get up to AK in a day but I recognize that only works if you live pretty close already. Since you're in Kansas, it may cost too much for such a last minute flight.

And just for the record, it's not always "the farther north you go, the better" - google "aurora viewing ring" and you'll actually see, the places to view the Aurora form a band around the two poles. Sort of like a doughnut. Again, my words might be confusing, but you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: http://www.astonisher.com/images/aurora_ring_290pix.jpg

Good luck! Let me know if you need any low-light/photo tips!

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
In any case, wouldn't she be well advised to book her trip to coincide with the new moon?

Old 06-21-2013, 04:29 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
PCH, I thought that too when I planned my first trip to Fairbanks, but I've seen the Aurora from there during all moon phases, including full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks