U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 AM

457 posts, read 528,426 times

Advertisements

Rich,

I concur with your observation regarding the loss of the truly unique character Fairbanks was known
for. Those who I've spoken with, who had known the town back "in the day" also lament the loss of
the spirit that made it what it was. The population of Fairbanks, including Ft. Wainwright, North Pole
and Eielson, was less than 17,000 souls in those days!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 AM

MITGREB and 1stimestar,

As you folks live in Fairbanks, perhaps you can tell me if Patterson (I forget his first name) still operates
the Malemute Saloon in Ester? Or if it even still exist?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 PM

373 posts, read 595,005 times
The Saloon closed a few years ago I don't know who owned/ran it I have lived here since 1978, first set foot in town on Jun 21 1974 spent the summer with my brother in Healy. I think I went to the saloon once...... I have never been on the river boat.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 AM

MITGREB,

Fellow by the name of Patterson or Peterson (don't recall) owned or operated the Malemute Saloon for many
years (it existed when I arrived in 1961). completes with sawdust/peanut shell covering on the floor, and the
nightly presentation of " the cremation of Sam Magee" Located in Ester, among the active/inactive dredges.
The remarkable thing was, even though it was a "tourist trap", (how many tourist does Fairbanks see in
January?) the drinks were reasonably priced and there was never a cover charge in those days.

Back in the day, the derelict Nenana (?) was beached on the south side of the Chena, toward the west end of 1st
St, if memory serves. The sternwheeler was surprisingly large and appeared to be more or less salvageable. Don't
know the final fate of her.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,047,512 times
I used to play with friends on the Nenana when we were kids, before they rehabilitated her. One of those things that your parents always told you to stay away from but was an absolute magnet for playful kids. Unfortunately too many thought it would be fun to vandalize her and the years really took a toll on her.

The city fathers fixed her up and moved her to Alaskaland for the A-67 centennial celebration. Now Pioneer Park, although I hate that name, will always call it Alaskaland. Believe there was an article in the local paper earlier this summer that she's starting to deteriorate again, wonder if they'll come up with the money to fix her up a second time.

We used to go out to the Malemute and start peanut fights, throwing them back and forth in good fun. The tourists would look at us like we were crazy, then decide this must be what they do in a frontier town like Fairbanks and join in. Picked our spots and never did it during the show, and the employees there took it in good fun.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM

Check out this article about the Malemute - Fate of Ester's storied Malemute Saloon uncertain - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner: Home.

The owner's name was Don Pearson - here's a photo and related comments about time spent there, including a post by a former employee that brings back some memories for me - Malemute Saloon, Ester, Alaska | Flickr - Photo Sharing!.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I used to play with friends on the Nenana when we were kids, before they rehabilitated her. One of those things that your parents always told you to stay away from but was an absolute magnet for playful kids. Unfortunately too many thought it would be fun to vandalize her and the years really took a toll on her.

The city fathers fixed her up and moved her to Alaskaland for the A-67 centennial celebration. Now Pioneer Park, although I hate that name, will always call it Alaskaland. Believe there was an article in the local paper earlier this summer that she's starting to deteriorate again, wonder if they'll come up with the money to fix her up a second time.

We used to go out to the Malemute and start peanut fights, throwing them back and forth in good fun. The tourists would look at us like we were crazy, then decide this must be what they do in a frontier town like Fairbanks and join in. Picked our spots and never did it during the show, and the employees there took it in good fun.
Thanks for the update. The Nenana was in bad shape in 1962, but appeared to be salvageable.
Good to hear that it was. Sad that she again faces an uncertain future, but she arose from the
dead atleast once before.

The Malemute was an interesting place, to say the least. When we frequented the Malemute, there
were no tourist, just friendly, for the most part, folks who enjoyed the ambience. I'm sure those who had the experience, remember it fondly. Interestingly, most of those Malemute patrons who lived in
Fairbanks and chose not to make the trip to Ester, usually congregated in the bar at the International
hotel, across from St. Josephs/train depot. Now there was an interesting collection of "colorful"
characters!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM

Default Speaking of colorful characters...

Fairbanks, mid 1950's - mid 1960's, had it's share of colorful characters...

There was a woman, of undeterminable age, named Irene, I believe, who was something of
a regular in the 2nd Ave bar scene. The story was, she had been terribly disfigured in a fire
apparently lost her children. Her demeanor indicated her injuries were not limited to physical
injury. While she was not violent, she was a bit aggressive when demanding "a drink" of any
bar patrons. Her physical disfigurement was very disturbing to those seeing her for the first time.
The bar owners, however, did regard her with a degree of deference, considering her plight.
She had the appearance of the original Bag lady. However, those that didn't immediately recoil
at her appearance, and took the time to listen and chat with her, would soon discover she was
not the monster she appeared, but rather a very unfortunate, damaged individual trying to
survive as best she could. As a result, they too, became more sympathetic to her. I have no idea
what happened to her

Another somewhat colorful individual was Mal Lockwood. Mal ran the photography department
at the Co-op. One got the impression he ran the photo dept. as a means of supporting his
true passion of photography. I understand UAF photo collection contains many examples of his
work. Some of the images he produced were truly outstanding!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Irene died in 1995 and is buried in the Clay Street Cemetery - Clay Street Cemetery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Irene Mary Sherman (1911 - 1995) - Find A Grave Memorial and (if you want even more background on Irene) Clara Rust is interviewed by Mike Dalton about Irene Sherman in Fairbanks, Alaska in the summer of 1973 (Audiobook, 1973) [WorldCat.org].

The last link is to a site that has a whole bunch of recorded interviews with old timers. If you have some free time, searching through them and listening to what interests you might bring back some memories - see Results for 'se:"Tanana Yukon Historical Society tapes"' [WorldCat.org].

Here's a photo by Mal that may help remind you why you don't live in Fairbanks any more - FAIRBANKS AK Alaska national bank winter weather meteorology VintagePostcards.org: Old, Antique, Vintage Postcards. Here's a couple more that help show the eye he has for taking great photos - Photographer Malcolm Lockwood / Design Pics (2 Rights Managed images) > Stock Photos | Royalty Free | Royalty Free Photos > Visualphotos.com.

I believe he is still alive; this site - Malcolm Lockwood - Conner, MT | MyLife® - says he moved to Montana last year. Found this listing for him there - http://www.manta.com/c/mm2n7gj/image-house-photography - although the website listed for his business is incorrect.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Irene died in 1995 and is buried in the Clay Street Cemetery - Clay Street Cemetery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Irene Mary Sherman (1911 - 1995) - Find A Grave Memorial and (if you want even more background on Irene) Clara Rust is interviewed by Mike Dalton about Irene Sherman in Fairbanks, Alaska in the summer of 1973 (Audiobook, 1973) [WorldCat.org].

The last link is to a site that has a whole bunch of recorded interviews with old timers. If you have some free time, searching through them and listening to what interests you might bring back some memories - see Results for 'se:"Tanana Yukon Historical Society tapes"' [WorldCat.org].

Here's a photo by Mal that may help remind you why you don't live in Fairbanks any more - FAIRBANKS AK Alaska national bank winter weather meteorology VintagePostcards.org: Old, Antique, Vintage Postcards. Here's a couple more that help show the eye he has for taking great photos - Photographer Malcolm Lockwood / Design Pics (2 Rights Managed images) > Stock Photos | Royalty Free | Royalty Free Photos > Visualphotos.com.

I believe he is still alive; this site - Malcolm Lockwood - Conner, MT | MyLife® - says he moved to Montana last year. Found this listing for him there - http://www.manta.com/c/mm2n7gj/image-house-photography - although the website listed for his business is incorrect.

WOW! I'm surprised Irene lived as long as she did. Due to her disfigurement, demeanor, she appeared
much, much older. Thanks for the links...going there now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks