U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,710 times

Advertisements

I have not looked it up but my understanding is that it was donated to Fairbanks and is now in someplace called Pioneer Park. The original idea was that it was to be a restaurant. OK. Found it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pionee...rbanks,_Alaska)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 12:00 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,047,512 times
See River Boat Nenanna at Pioneer Park, Fairbanks, Alaska. I also talked about it earlier in this thread - see #15.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:42 PM

457 posts, read 528,426 times
Default The Polaris Bui;ding....what's happening ?

So, is the Polaris still standing? Seems a shame that this building can't be economically restored to provide housing for the immediate downtown / Ft. Wainwright area.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-01-2017, 11:29 PM

Looks like there are no more "old Timers" in or around Fairbanks these days.

Those who lived in and/or around FBKS in the 1950's- 1970's still here?

Old 03-02-2017, 01:46 AM

373 posts, read 595,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Looks like there are no more "old Timers" in or around Fairbanks these days.

Those who lived in and/or around FBKS in the 1950's- 1970's still here?
Got here in 1978, as soon as I could.... Well I spent the summer of 74 here

Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,047,512 times
I'm also surprised no one else has chimed in on this thread.
A bunch of the kids (now oldtimers) I went to high school with still live in Fairbanks, but I guess they're doing other things rather than being active on C-D.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I'm also surprised no one else has chimed in on this thread.
A bunch of the kids (now oldtimers) I went to high school with still live in Fairbanks, but I guess they're doing other things rather than being active on C-D.
RW,

It is indeed surprising no current residents have contributed to this thread. (A bit disappointing, too )

My earlier regarding the Polaris Building seems to have lost any currency; and the topic is still viable.

Oh, well, guess it's down to those who remember the Fairbanks and the Interior of the past and value it for what it represented. Truly, the Last Frontier.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Got here in 1978, as soon as I could.... Well I spent the summer of 74 here
Well, Mit, arriving little over a decade after Statehood was better than arriving after the North Slope circus!
At least you experienced the last of the long past pioneer spirit that still existed when you arrived.

Thanks for contributing.

BB

Old 03-06-2017, 11:22 PM

373 posts, read 595,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Well, Mit, arriving little over a decade after Statehood was better than arriving after the North Slope circus!
At least you experienced the last of the long past pioneer spirit that still existed when you arrived.

Thanks for contributing.

BB

I have had the privilege of knowing some of the true sourdoughs.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Mitgreb,

Did you ever know Clyde Harvey or Homer Cogdill, former owners of the Crystal Room on Second?
Red Boucher, former Sales Manager for Alaska Airlines (when they had only one jet!)?
Ed Merc of the Sunset Strip, or perhaps more impressive, the one and only, Renee Starr of Western Inn fame.
Ms. Starr was an incredible "performer"; the appearance of Playboy's Little Annie Fanny, with a personality of ...well..uh,
unique, shall we say? The Western Inn burned late winter, 1964. Ms Starr's fate unknown.
Wee Willy Wally, everyones favorite DJ ? Mr. Wally sponsored dances for local teens at the Eagles Hall in the early/mid
1960's. Often featuring local bands (including those throw-together groups from Wainwright and Eielson...former musicians serving in the military...some quite good!)
Ollie Rohrbach (sp) ran the Keyboard Lounge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks