Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 AM

28 posts, read 40,387 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to apply to UAF this fall ( rising senior) as a nursing major from Austin, Texas.
I know it is a big change from Texas, but I moved around before from countries to countries so I am pretty good at adapting to new environments. Also, I love outdoorsy stuff, love exploring.

Is it necessary for me to get a car when I go up there?? Like, how far is UAF from the areas that has stores and all that? ( I don't wanna be stuck in the campus just in case I don't get a car...)

I heard crime rates in Alaska is pretty high... Is that true? I mean I know if there's people, there will be crimes, but if I just use my common sense to not wonder around at night by my self and etc, would it be just fine??

If anyone knows, how is UAF's campus? I saw some pictures on google but that was about it. Do I need to get a bike or something to go from classes to classes?

Please feel free to throw in any advices and opinions!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
I thought you were going to UAA in Anchorage? ( //www.city-data.com/forum/ancho...age-texas.html )
If you are worried about cold in Anchorage, then Fairbanks probably isn't for you. Anchorage can get down to 20 below zero, I've been in Fairbanks at 60 below zero. And it stayed that way for a week. And then it warmed up to 30 below before dropping back to down to 60 below for another week.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM

28 posts, read 40,387 times
Quote:
I thought you were going to UAA in Anchorage? ( University of Alaska Anchorage from Texas?? )
If you are worried about cold in Anchorage, then Fairbanks probably isn't for you. Anchorage can get down to 20 below zero, I've been in Fairbanks at 60 below zero. And it stayed that way for a week. And then it warmed up to 30 below before dropping back to down to 60 below for another week.
My parents wanted me to also consider UAF also before start applying! & Hmm I am worried about cold, but not too much.I guess it's more of like " how much of thickness of clothing from Texas's winter to Alaska" if that makes sense!
I honestly can't imagine what it's like to stand outside when it's anything below 32 degrees...

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Maybe Alaska isn't for you, if below 32F scares you. Definitely not Anchorage or Fairbanks. MAYBE, Juneau- and I am only going by climate data. Even though Juneau has had some historical dips into the sub-zero arena.

How about taking a visit this winter? It isn't just how thick the clothing is but the type and how you layer it... That is just cold weather common sense for anywhere - not just AK. Hats, gloves, and footwear is just as important too... Continue to research and I am sure once you are there, people will help you out -especially fellow students.

IMHO, There are three things that will happen:

1. you will adapt and figure out how to live in the cold - love AK and live on.
2. you will leave because you can't/won't adapt
3. The rare case - you will get seriously injured from the cold or a wildlife encounter, if you are not prepared.

I am not trying to discourage you in any way - you only live once and it gets tougher to make drastic geographic changes after your career and family life get under way.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
I think you also mentioned nursing... UAA has the better nursing program. At least, that is what I've been told...
But, UAS in Juneau would have a warmer climate.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,133 times
Nursing students at UAF end up going down to UAA to finish up clinical stuff.....at least they did in the past.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 AM

32 posts, read 145,919 times
I agree with the others - - the campus in Anchorage is definitely the one to go to as far as the nursing program in Alaska. If you're majoring in arctic research or petroleum engineering, or if you just want to see what 50 below feels like.. Fairbanks is for you!

If for some reason you wind up going to Fairbanks anyway ..no, it's not close to town! All of the campuses in Alaska have student shuttles though, although I don't know what kind of schedule Fairbanks has. The ones in Anchorage run daily from something like 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. (or later for campus events)

Last edited by HockeyGirl; 07-23-2013 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: left out a word :p

Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
For engineering degrees of various kinds, physics, or environmental research, UAF is the place to go. While there are some beginners classes relating to nursing at UAF, UAA is the place to be at to complete the degree.

Now, UAF is in fact located in town; not downtown, however. There are shuttle bus services throughout UAF, and a very active borough bus line moving people in/out UAF all day long. But several major stores (supermarkets, restaurants, and the rest) are within walking distances from UAF. A lot of students ride bicycles during the summer, and some through the winter. UAF is a very large place, surrounded by neighborhoods, businesses, and so on, but a little far for the city center (downtown).

Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM

45 posts, read 90,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan95 View Post
I'm planning to apply to UAF this fall ( rising senior) as a nursing major from Austin, Texas.
I know it is a big change from Texas, but I moved around before from countries to countries so I am pretty good at adapting to new environments. Also, I love outdoorsy stuff, love exploring.

Is it necessary for me to get a car when I go up there?? Like, how far is UAF from the areas that has stores and all that? ( I don't wanna be stuck in the campus just in case I don't get a car...)

I heard crime rates in Alaska is pretty high... Is that true? I mean I know if there's people, there will be crimes, but if I just use my common sense to not wonder around at night by my self and etc, would it be just fine??

If anyone knows, how is UAF's campus? I saw some pictures on google but that was about it. Do I need to get a bike or something to go from classes to classes?

Please feel free to throw in any advices and opinions!
Thanks in advance!
I work at UAF, a car would be handy to have, depends on your budget, Fairbanks has a reasonable bus service, and you'd no doubt make friends with people who do have cars.

Cant say crime has been a problem for me, I'm originally from New Zealand, and it doesnt seem any different here.

The campus it self is quite large, but there is a shuttle service around campus if you dont feel like a bit of walking.

As for the cold, I find I complain about it less than some people that have lived here for years. Remember while the temps get pretty low, there is often no wind or wind chill, and its very dry, anything down to around 0F is fine with a jacket, couple pairs of socks, and some mittens and a scarf. Depends how long you're planning on being outside, prior to working at UAF I'd do the 20min walk to work down to 0F fine.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 11,056 times
Awesome! UAF Nanooks for life! I'm originally from El Paso, Texas but moved here to go to UAF. No, crime is not an issue. Maybe in Anchorage, but of course you can expect that from those idiots. However, sexual crimes are very common in Alaska. Alaska is the only state where rapes don't decrease during the winter. So if your a girl, learn self-defense, or carry a knife or mace or whatever. And don't take nothing from no one. Other than rapes, crime really is pretty low. Campus is safe. If you're a girl walking alone at night, you should definitely walk with someone. Or carry a knife, your choice. If you're a guy, don't worry. No one will bother you. Most people are very nice and easy to get along with. Some people are strange, but you'll get used to it. You don't have to have a car, I don't. I would personally prefer a car though, especially for winter. Campus is small, so you don't need a bike. Everywhere is walkable distance although some people like bikes because you get places faster. So, that's about it. Just bring some nice warm coats and boots and you'll be all set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks