Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM

20 posts, read 60,578 times

Advertisements

I'm making plans to drive up to Fairbanks from Oregon and because of timing, I'm going to be driving in the dead of winter, November or December. I'm thinking the earlier in the road trip the better to stop at a mechanic to get my truck decked out.

Where or what town would be a good place to get that done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,557,753 times
I'd just check around to see if any local shops can do the work. I had a truck in northeast Oregon that had a block heater installed on it there. It can get cold east of the Cascades too.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM

791 posts, read 1,155,825 times
Fairbanks, Alaska good mechanic for Winter use is the Walmart Store. They repair and fix autos under two hour periods. I was a customer in year 2009. You can telephone them in advance to see if they do the job for cold weather fix for autos.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,256,600 times
If you live in Oregon, get it done there before you leave.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:09 PM

20 posts, read 60,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
If you live in Oregon, get it done there before you leave.
I was thinking that no mechanic would have the resources to do it here or wouldn't know what they're doing.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 PM

20,298 posts, read 37,237,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticadayz View Post
I was thinking that no mechanic would have the resources to do it here or wouldn't know what they're doing.
Is your vehicle still under warranty? If so, have one of the local dealers over there install an automobile manufacturer's block heater, an oil-pan pad, and a battery heater pad.

Since installing a block heater where one of the motor's freeze plugs must be removed the antifreeze must be drained, have the new antifreeze mixed as follows: Have the antifreeze checked so it is at least in a solution of 60% antifreeze, 40% distilled water. Make sure that they know what they are doing, because 60/40 is the safest solution. Antifreeze looses its antifreeze properties if mixed past 70% antifreeze/water ratio.

Buy a "Y" electrical cord rated for cold weather (usually blue color, but yellow will work until you get here). Also buy an Arctic-grade extension cord (around 25 feet long).

If the battery is two or more years old, have it replaced with a new one of the highest capacity possible for you car.

Look at the manual of your car and see what oil grade you should use for cold weather. For example, the normally aspirated motor of the 2009 Forester runs on 5W-30 oil year round. My wife's 6-cylinder 2010 Rav 4 runs on 5W-30 motor oil year round, but now that we have a Walmart and a gallon of Mobil 1 synthetic oil costs $25.00, I use this oil. But there is nothing wrong with conventional oil of the same grade. Anyway, replace the oil before you leave, and have a spare can of oil (or two) in the trunk.

Make sure that the battery and block heater cords have been routed properly, away from any engine's moving parts and exhaust, and tied with plastic wire ties to the right places around the motor.

a. The two components I mentioned above are plugged into the Y cord, and the male plug is passed out the engine bay through the front grill of the car.

b. If you have to spend the night at a hotel or motel in Canada and is very cold, make sure that they have provisions at the parking lot for plugging your car for the night. Just connect the female end of the arctic grade extension cord to the male end of the Y cord protruding from the front grill of your car, and plug the extension cord to the outlet ate the parking lot.
-------------

If your car is not under warranty you can have a local mechanic shop install a block heater (usually sold at NAPA), a battery heater (a 25-Watt electric pad), an oil pan heater (75-Watt or so), and everything else I mentioned above. Or take it to one of the numerous shops in town. You will have to rent a car for a day while the work is being done. To winterize your car costs around $300.00 to $450.00, most of which is the cost of labor (dealers charge a little more than local mechanic shops).

If the work can't be done in the lower-48 and the car is under warranty schedule the work online with one of the local dealers to do the work upon your arrival. You may have to rent a vehicle for one day while the work is being done.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-10-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,624,649 times
On a separate note, I'd recommend having a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion it's the best guide to the drive.

When I moved to Fairbanks in '93 I installed my own block heater in Oregon before I left. I didn't bother with a battery heater or oil pan heater. I was only there one winter before moving to the Kodiak area and then up to the Anchorage area, so I'm not sure how good my plan would've been for living in Fairbanks long term.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 PM

20,298 posts, read 37,237,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
On a separate note, I'd recommend having a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion it's the best guide to the drive.

When I moved to Fairbanks in '93 I installed my own block heater in Oregon before I left. I didn't bother with a battery heater or oil pan heater. I was only there one winter before moving to the Kodiak area and then up to the Anchorage area, so I'm not sure how good my plan would've been for living in Fairbanks long term.
At least a block heater should be installed before living in the middle of the winter. But since a 25-Watt battery heater (electric pad) is so easy to install, I would install both a block heater and battery pad. The pad can be placed right underneath the battery (between the tray and the battery), making sure that the cord's end at the pad does not get pinched between the battery and tray, nor on any other metallic part around the tray. When very cold outside the battery loses a lot of its cranking power as it approaches the electrolyte freezing point (jelling, really), but the pad keeps the electrolyte far from turning thick.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 PM

34 posts, read 72,869 times
Yeah... just about any shop can put heaters in. I'd make sure that you specify you want a freeze-plug heater. Many shops will take the easy way out and just put a lower radiator hose heater in, and those won't cut it here in fairbanks. You can easily install a battery blanket (in my opinion better than the pads) and can pick up a magnetic heater for the oil pan, which can save a little cash if you are strapped.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:58 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,172,913 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks