Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM

84 posts, read 326,673 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a freshman in College who is looking to complete some core classes this summer. Since I want to visit Alaska and experience it, summer courses seem like a great idea. Currently UAF seems like the best place:
-In-State $$$ for Everyone!
-They have the classes I need
-Reasonable housing

Instead of spending money on a vacation, why not spend the money on school and gain the trip as a bonus!

------------------------------------------------

1) First of all I would enjoy hearing from anyone in the same boat as me or anyone who has done this. Especially students in the Midwest-Northern 48 (possibly share ride up?)

2) I am willing to share the drive with anyone, if no other student is able. I will probably post this again on craigslist later, but I'll start now.
-Lets split gas costs
-I have car (33 mpg)
-Need to be there by 27th of May
-Leaving From Milwaukee, willing to reroute almost anywhere West of Chicago / North of Denver

3) Would also enjoy Out of State Roommate looking to have fun when not studying. Visit Arctic Circle, Anchorage, Parks, Sports - Golf, BBall...

Thanks,
T A S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,802 times
In state tuition for everyone?! That seems unlikely... Must be a UAF thing.
As a student in the UA system, I have the following advice:
1.) Make sure before you EVEN GET IN THE CAR that the credits you want to take will transfer without a hassle.
2.) If you live on campus, be sure you are aware that there are often extra fees for summer campus living as well as a minimum number of credits to qualify (@ UAS it is 6 cr).
3.) Know that summer session, because it is shorter, is more "intense". A 6 credit workload (2 classes) is often considered the equivalent of a 12 credit fall/spring courseload.
4.) Have a good time!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 54,546 times
Hey, you've caught my interest. I'm a freshman at The University of Montana and would definitely be willing to do this if I knew more about how everything worked academically. The main question... how do I know if the courses transfer over to my University? I have already been looking at UAF's transfer site (which is pretty much one of a kind I must say, how it shows hundreds of universities and every specific class which you can transfer into UAF)... BUT, I don't know (and probably don't think it does) work the other way around interchangeably, but maybe I'd be lucky enough that it does. Did you go and ask your advisor, or how did you figure this out? Another question, how many classes does one usually take during the summer semester? I'd guess like 6-9 credits?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4008 View Post
Hey, you've caught my interest. I'm a freshman at The University of Montana and would definitely be willing to do this if I knew more about how everything worked academically. The main question... how do I know if the courses transfer over to my University? I have already been looking at UAF's transfer site (which is pretty much one of a kind I must say, how it shows hundreds of universities and every specific class which you can transfer into UAF)... BUT, I don't know (and probably don't think it does) work the other way around interchangeably, but maybe I'd be lucky enough that it does. Did you go and ask your advisor, or how did you figure this out? Another question, how many classes does one usually take during the summer semester? I'd guess like 6-9 credits?
drew,
At my school, Marquette, to make sure the credits transfer you need to fill out a form and your college staff will basically try to find a class they offer that matches the one you want to take. When looking at the transfer wizard calculators, every university has one on their site, all it is is a list of courses at other universities that your university has accepted in the past for someone else. At Marquette only 3 courses show up on the "transfer wizard" for UAF, but there are hundreds of courses on the wizard when I lookup a local community college, in most cases UAF won’t show up in may wizards. I haven't turned in my forms yet, but by comparing your university's course catalogue with UAF's you should have a better idea of what you can take.

It seems most classes are offered for six weeks, yielding 3 credits. There are two 6 week sessions. I will either take two classes each session totaling 12 credits, or maybe just 9 credits.

UAF Summer site:
UAF Summer Sessions
I also emailed them and got answers...

Feel free to PM me or reply on this board

TAS

Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4tas View Post
drew,
At my school, Marquette, to make sure the credits transfer you need to fill out a form and your college staff will basically try to find a class they offer that matches the one you want to take. When looking at the transfer wizard calculators, every university has one on their site, all it is is a list of courses at other universities that your university has accepted in the past for someone else. At Marquette only 3 courses show up on the "transfer wizard" for UAF, but there are hundreds of courses on the wizard when I lookup a local community college, in most cases UAF won’t show up in may wizards. I haven't turned in my forms yet, but by comparing your university's course catalogue with UAF's you should have a better idea of what you can take.

It seems most classes are offered for six weeks, yielding 3 credits. There are two 6 week sessions. I will either take two classes each session totaling 12 credits, or maybe just 9 credits.

UAF Summer site:
UAF Summer Sessions
I also emailed them and got answers...

Feel free to PM me or reply on this board
You might try running UAA through your calculators. A lot of the class numbers and such are the same for all UA colleges, although you'll want to watch the prefixes. For some colleges, Alaska Native Languages is AKL, while others are ANL, and so on and so forth.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:41 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
I know that the tuition for NW states residents (AK, ID, MT, OR WA, etc) is charged as resident for any of the those state universities. This is a reciprocal agreement between the states. It ensures a certain amount of variety in the student body.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I know that the tuition for NW states residents (AK, ID, MT, OR WA, etc) is charged as resident for any of the those state universities. This is a reciprocal agreement between the states. It ensures a certain amount of variety in the student body.
Summer at UAF is special = In-State for everyone

Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Ah, you are referring to the Western Undergraduate Exchange... (known as WUE, pronounced Whoowee) WUE actually counts for students all over the west, including the states you mentioned plus CA, WY, CO, NM, AZ, NV, and possibly some that I have forgotten.
I don't think WUE is exactly resident tuition- it is more than that although I don't believe it is much more- something like 10% more. Definitely worth anyone's while, but to say it's resident tuition is misleading.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
UAF has offered summer classes at instate tuition. I would expect they will do so for a while too.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Ah, you are referring to the Western Undergraduate Exchange... (known as WUE, pronounced Whoowee) WUE actually counts for students all over the west, including the states you mentioned plus CA, WY, CO, NM, AZ, NV, and possibly some that I have forgotten.
I don't think WUE is exactly resident tuition- it is more than that although I don't believe it is much more- something like 10% more. Definitely worth anyone's while, but to say it's resident tuition is misleading.
Sorry, I was mislead by another school's info to my oldest boy. Pretty close to resident costs though. And once again, Mal leads with bad info (sigh, my lot in life!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks