U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 PM

57,934 posts, read 50,503,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Greenmariner, I sincerely hope that you get to actually SEE Alaska some day rather than depend on the Internet for your experience of it.

Sure, gangs exist in FBs to a small extent, but they don't have the anonymity necessary to truly flourish.
I would like to see Alaska too. I know there is more to Alaska than gangs. I know this. I put the videos up to show that gangs in Alaska do exist. I know many great things exist in Alaska. I was just confirming that there are gangs in Alaska.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 PM

373 posts, read 595,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, those very gangsters can get those same guns. And consider the summer, when it's basically light out the majority of the time.
I live here the Two biggest gangs in town are the Army and the Airforce and if another gang pisses them off well......

Old 11-28-2013, 12:34 AM

3,110 posts, read 4,845,574 times
Good reference with assessments
FBI — Gangs

Here's the map with stats
FBI — 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment

Old 12-01-2013, 07:23 PM

45 posts, read 38,950 times
lol....yea, there are some misguided souls here, who came up here not realizing that in Alaska there is no place to run to. From The Law.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:47 PM

17,471 posts, read 31,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
I live here the Two biggest gangs in town are the Army and the Airforce and if another gang pisses them off well......
That makes no sense. I have been around here the early '80s, but in Alaska since the early '70s. While every now and then we get some military member, specially in the Army, "maybe" involved in gang activities, this (gang activity in the military) has been a recent event. According to what I know from olive reports and such, every now and then some gang members make it into the military. But once in the military for a certain period of time, they are discharged once the military figures who these people are. Now, we have had some of the milder gang activities for many years, but nothing like the new gangs (Ms 13, 18th, the Bloods (?), etc.), just some gangster wannabes.

This town and vicinity depends not only on the oil industry to survive, but on the military. There are more retired military members in this area that in most States throughout the US.

But just in case I misunderstood the point you were trying to make, please allow me to apologize in advance. I am a Vietnam era veteran who retired in the '90s
----------

That out of the way, I believe that it's a little difficult for gagns to prosper in the less populated areas such as Fairbanks versus Anchorage, probably because most people are well armed, and shoot straight

Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 PM

4,715 posts, read 9,410,492 times
Ray - I took it WAY differently then you did. I took it as the Army and Air Force are the good guys and if another gang as in hostile country pisses them off, then well, look out.

BTW, I appreciate your service. You may have served with a member of my family in Vietnam. I had several close members of my family (including my father) that were in the Armed Forces during Vietnam.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM

17,471 posts, read 31,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Ray - I took it WAY differently then you did. I took it as the Army and Air Force are the good guys and if another gang as in hostile country pisses them off, then well, look out.
Good points, and I believe that what you say is what the poster intended to say. I probably got it wrong, so my most sincere apologies to mitgreb

Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 9,290 times
Gangsters are piece of **** cowards who can't take the cold. Plus, many people here carry guns and knives on them. So being a criminal would be a dangerous career for them. Anchorage has gangs, like the Anchorage Crips and asian gangs. But that's because Anchorage is stupid. But not that I know of in Fairbanks. Gangsters wannabes, yes. Most killings here are just individuals who decide to kill someone.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:31 PM

29,097 posts, read 23,474,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlannett View Post
Gangsters are piece of **** cowards who can't take the cold.
If this is so, then why are they in Fairbanks?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM

7,305 posts, read 12,933,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If this is so, then why are they in Fairbanks?
Money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks