U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 PM

711 posts, read 1,557,710 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Easter Alaska in May. I want to get my girl friend a good pair of winter boots, due to the minus 40 temps.
Something that looks nice if possible.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM

17,196 posts, read 30,608,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
We will be moving to Easter Alaska in May. I want to get my girl friend a good pair of winter boots, due to the minus 40 temps.
Something that looks nice if possible.

Thanks
Ester, Alaska? That's pretty much Fairbanks, so after you get here and before winter arrives, go to one of these stores and buy her some winter gear:

-Sportsman Warehouse
-Sports Authority
-Big Ray's
-The Prospector
-Sentry Hardware in Fairbanks (their outfitter section)
-Plus numerous other places I may have forgotten

The reason why it's difficult to tell you which one to buy right now is because by next year there may be newer and improved boot models. Later you will have to decide if she should have the most insulated tall or medium heigh boots, and water-resistance or not. But you will have plenty of time to decide, since May is pretty close to the beginning of summer.

I happened to go to Sportsman Warehouse a few days ago, and they had some "Baffin Polar Proven, Inpact" mukluks on sale, so I bought a pair. The Women's version was also on sale for around $159.00, down from $170.00 or so (men's are more expensive). But you will have plenty of winter boots to choose from, and cheaper than Baffin.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 PM

We will be a couple hrs north east of Valdez, so Fairbanks isn't a place we will go often if at all. I am hoping to get some items, for her, for christmas and her birthday. I did stop at Cabela's and the lady there said the higher the count, the warmer they are and she showed me some 1200 and 2000 count boots. most seemed kind of heavy.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM

4,718 posts, read 9,329,684 times
Ray - maybe s/he meant Eastern Alaska... About the only thing I can think of.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:19 PM

I just read what your talking about, yes, Eastern Alaska......I guess, it is in the Glennallen area.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 PM

17,196 posts, read 30,608,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Ray - maybe s/he meant Eastern Alaska... About the only thing I can think of.
I didn't even know that there was a town called "Eastern" in Alaska. I searched for it, but could not find such place.

If the place is by the Glennallen, Valdez has a "Prospector" store (closer to Glennallen), but boots over there would cost more than in Anchorage. Anchorage is closer to Glennallen than Fairbanks is.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-08-2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 AM

Thanks, I get the idea, lots of options.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 AM

2,759 posts, read 4,581,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
We will be a couple hrs north east of Valdez, so Fairbanks isn't a place we will go often if at all. I am hoping to get some items, for her, for christmas and her birthday. I did stop at Cabela's and the lady there said the higher the count, the warmer they are and she showed me some 1200 and 2000 count boots. most seemed kind of heavy.
You shouldn't be looking for boots for her, she should be looking for her own boots. She's going to be wearing them, after all. She should know how prone to cold feet/toes she is and what she's wanting these boots for. Is she just going to work and back? Walking the dog? Snowmachining? Snowshoeing? When it's -40F I doubt she's going to be out for long periods. Nobody around there is going to care much what your boots look like, btw.

There's a decent variety of cold-weather boots out there. Sorel, Keen, Columbia, and so on. The most insulated boots I have are 600g of Thinsulate. They're super warm and they still look like normal winter boots, not like bunny boots. I'd think about the Arctic Muck boots, too.

Oh, and don't come down here to go shopping. Go to Anchorage. The Prospector's prices really aren't bad, but their selection for women's gear is pretty lacking.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks, I'll look into the brands mentioned. We'll start with 600 g and go from there, and yes, she will try them on before I buy them.
Thanks everyone

Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM

792 posts, read 1,161,059 times
I think the quickest way to the "dog" house would be for me to buy my wife a pair of boots Might I suggest a nice pair of Sorels...so when she boards that plane to leave...and flings them at you...they don't hurt so bad (they have rubber soles and leather uppers)...buying boots for a gal...you are a brave man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks