Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 AM

863 posts, read 2,066,624 times

Advertisements

That bus is such a dump... Instead of following in the footsteps of that goober McCandless, why don't you follow (what supposedly was) his spirit, and make YOUR OWN adventure. Alaska's a big state, and there are many places to go that are far more interesting than that damn bus.

McCandless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,258,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
That bus is such a dump... Instead of following in the footsteps of that goober McCandless, why don't you follow (what supposedly was) his spirit, and make YOUR OWN adventure. Alaska's a big state, and there are many places to go that are far more interesting than that damn bus.
+1

If you want more freedom and adventure in your life (and I assume that's why some people are so enamored with this story), then start making some real changes. Going to see the old junky bus where this kid died isn't going to make your life better.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:34 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,949,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do you want to go to the bus?
It's a magical place full of sprites and faeries...

Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM

36 posts, read 75,438 times
Don*t go to the Damn Bus it is a death trap Alaska needs to remove that damn bus or start adding large fines to anyone going their without a guide that Bus isn*t something to just get up one morning and start hiking to it stay away and live another day

Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,851,669 times

Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 PM

404 posts, read 748,166 times
Go visit it and take it back to the Lower 49 with you!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,970,226 times
Is that bus still there? I'm surprised it hasn't been completely stripped by now.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,616,970 times
There is another bus.

Hyder, Alaska's Fresh Alaskan Seafood & Smoked Salmon

Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 PM

20,247 posts, read 36,941,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
That's would be a lot safer than visiting the other bus

Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
This is a good article to read for the "pilgrims" wanting to visit the bus. 'Pilgrims' flock to site of death in Alaska's wilds | The Japan Times
Great article - astute, articulate - and a must-read. This part really struck home by Chris Ingram:
Quote:
“I had an ample amount of time along the trail to contemplate Chris’ story, as well as my own life. The wilderness is a poor place to put your worries, your concerns, your dreams, your hopes, thoughts, wishes and happinesses. The wild simply is just that, wild. Unchanging, unforgiving, it knows nor cares not for your own life. It exists on its own, unaffected by the dreams or cares of man. It kills the unprepared and unaware.”
Last night while researching something else, I came across the 2004 Indonesian Tsunami videos on YouTube. I got caught up watching them again for more than 2 hours. While watching the scenes unfold I kept screaming at the people - "GET OFF THE BEACH! HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW IT'S A TSUNAMI?!?!? Wake up! Look UP! Put down your damn cameras!" Anyone who lives near the ocean should just make it a priority to recognize its moods and respond accordingly.

The same goes with the Alaskan wilderness and any other part of "wild nature." The article is right. We have become so disconnected with nature, with the source - whether the food source, the water source, the energy source, or The Source -- that we feel we can just go into some little fantasy world and there will be no consequences.

To the OP, please forgive me for sounding like your mother, but I'm a mom and there you have it: The story didn't happen the way Sean Penn played it. Nothing happens ever the way Sean Penn plays it. He's an actor. He pretends to be someone else and does things that real people don't actually do. Dying is not romantic. Dying is a simple act. It's the act of being here, then not being here anymore - forever.

The bus in Sean Penn's world was on a movie set. Even the animals that he ran into were trained creatures. You cannot go to that bus any more than you can visit Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory or travel through the wardrobe in the Chronicles of Narnia. Going to a place you don't know or understand; a place where people have died; a place in the wilderness for which you have no real understanding or working knowledge; a place that "locals" are warning you against -- is not romantic. It's foolish. Freedom is a choice you already have right here, right now, wherever you are. It isn't "out there." I really hope you find your freedom. I hope you don't have to die to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks