Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
You may find a CB radio to be of greater value than a GPS, in that the truckers are a far more reliable source of
road conditions than spotty/occasional/non-existant signals...and there are a lot more truckers than usable cell areas!
That would be fine, except GPS doesn't use cell signals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:33 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
That would be fine, except GPS doesn't use cell signals.
I think he was referring to the "GPS" that most of us use... the crappy one in our phones. That was how I read it anyways. You have to have a cell signal for that POS to work, right?? Heck, I don't know. It's never right anyways, so it doesn't much matter.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:50 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
The GPS function in a cell phone (at least an iPhone) will still work. But the map overlay relies on data connection. So you can see which was is north but it won't show the map.
I use my iPhone (and a GPS) for geocaching. When you get in an area without cell connection, the GPS part still points you in the direction of the cache, but there's no map.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:53 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The GPS function in a cell phone (at least an iPhone) will still work. But the map overlay relies on data connection. So you can see which was is north but it won't show the map.
I use my iPhone (and a GPS) for geocaching. When you get in an area without cell connection, the GPS part still points you in the direction of the cache, but there's no map.
The maps will work without a cell signal if you use an app that allows you to store off-line maps in the phone such as Google Maps, Maps.Me, PDF Maps, etc. The maps must be loaded ahead of time when you do have a data connection.

A dedicated GPS receiver such as the Garmin Nuvi requires no cell signal since the map is already loaded into it.. There really is only one road for a lot of the trip, so not much to see map-wise, but having a dedicated receiver allows you to see the distance and estimated time of arrival to any waypoints that you set. I'm kind of a gadget freak and for me it's just something to break up the monotony of the drive. And of course the GPS still won't tell you road conditions either.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:28 PM

63 posts, read 99,245 times
After doing a lot of research and hearing from other travelers, the best thing to do is not use the phone navigation nor my car's nav because signals will be dropped and i will be charged roaming. So best option is to buy a navigation to put it on my windshield and drive with it.

So here is my question summing up this topic:

Which Navigation model # that can take me from lower 48 states, crossing Canada 2k miles, to Fairbanks Alaska?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:52 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,507 times
I use the road map. The Road Atlas from Wal-mart.
I have a GPS and most of the time it takes me to the wrong place, dead end streets, bad roads...... you name GPS can ********* up real well. Back up is a small CB radio and the free road warrior info link on channel 19, channels can vary by state. Channel 19 is the trucker's channel in most areas of the country. However, on the West Coast, channel 17 is occasionally used in some areas. In California, for instance, channel 19 is used on the north-south roads, and channel 17 is used on the east-west roads. Channel 21 around LA. This is frequently confused, though, so check all three channels.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
I use the road map. The Road Atlas from Wal-mart.
I have a GPS and most of the time it takes me to the wrong place, dead end streets, bad roads...... you name GPS can ********* up real well. Back up is a small CB radio and the free road warrior info link on channel 19, channels can vary by state. Channel 19 is the trucker's channel in most areas of the country. However, on the West Coast, channel 17 is occasionally used in some areas. In California, for instance, channel 19 is used on the north-south roads, and channel 17 is used on the east-west roads. Channel 21 around LA. This is frequently confused, though, so check all three channels.
I feel more comfortable looking at a map virtually that updates with me when I am driving. I am sure there must be some really good quality navigation out there. I hope someone can suggest one model so I can take with me.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YemeniAlaskan View Post
I feel more comfortable looking at a map virtually that updates with me when I am driving. I am sure there must be some really good quality navigation out there. I hope someone can suggest one model so I can take with me.
The virtual map that updates while you are on the road will be useless with no signal from the satellites.
A black screen is no fun to look at when you need it and don't have it. Always at least carry a map as a backup.... just in case. Lots of people use their GPS to travel. What I don't like is ended up some where and not knowing how I got there in the first place. When I use the map I know how I got there and how to return from which I came.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
The virtual map that updates while you are on the road will be useless with no signal from the satellites.
A black screen is no fun to look at when you need it and don't have it. Always at least carry a map as a backup.... just in case. Lots of people use their GPS to travel. What I don't like is ended up some where and not knowing how I got there in the first place. When I use the map I know how I got there and how to return from which I came.
I won't have satellite in the Alaskan highway?
That is my only concern. So do you suggest i get a paper map like milepost, and a navigation system?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:11 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YemeniAlaskan View Post
I won't have satellite in the Alaskan highway?
That is my only concern. So do you suggest i get a paper map like milepost, and a navigation system?
You will have satellite reception the whole route. Even with a GPS, I would still have a copy of the Milepost.
Any decent GPS will work. I like Garmins, so I would be looking at a Garmin Nuvi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks