Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 02:38 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning on building a 20x20 post and beam structure to sit a building on top of. Basically similar to a pole barn but with a flat top more like a free standing deck to sit one of my domes on.

Anyways, I was wondering how far I should put posts down into the ground. I have built pole barns and decks before but this was down in homer or the lower 48 and always went down 4 feet with the posts. I have read that frost line is about that here but can go deeper if there is early cold with no snow? I would hate to have a post or more heave out of the ground if this happens. If someone up here has some experience with a pole structure and depth I would love to know how it has held up over the years. Any problems with heaving? I have dug down 4 feet and don't have any permafrost and hit gravel at about that depth. Planning on going 4 feet down as of now...

Also planning on sonotube with 6x6 pt post embedded into the concrete, tapered off above grade and sealed. Not putting post directly into soil. I have worked with builders who set posts in concrete and others who set them in gravel as they claim the concrete holds water next to the post and eventually rots it away. Open to suggestions on this as well up here.

If post and beam structures don't do well up here I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board, but I would love to be up in the air for a better view and have usable space underneath. I have seen quite a few pole barns up here as well. This is in delta junction area too if that helps.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 05:36 PM

202 posts, read 355,880 times
Anyways, I was wondering how far I should put posts down into the ground. I have built pole barns and decks before but this was down in homer or the lower 48 and always went down 4 feet with the posts

I have had pilings and concrete sonotube get all jacked out of shape if they were put in any less than 5 feet. Maybe in downtown Homer on the water you can get by with 4 feet down. My deck was put in almost 20 years ago 4x4 post 10 foot long dug in with a backhoe wrapped with 4-6 layers of 6 mil visqueen (to keep the ice from grabbing the wood) I put this in at least 7 foot buried and the visqueen 8 foot wide just sticks out of the ground. We have a lot of clay up here and I am at 900 foot level.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:19 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
Anyways, I was wondering how far I should put posts down into the ground. I have built pole barns and decks before but this was down in homer or the lower 48 and always went down 4 feet with the posts

I have had pilings and concrete sonotube get all jacked out of shape if they were put in any less than 5 feet. Maybe in downtown Homer on the water you can get by with 4 feet down. My deck was put in almost 20 years ago 4x4 post 10 foot long dug in with a backhoe wrapped with 4-6 layers of 6 mil visqueen (to keep the ice from grabbing the wood) I put this in at least 7 foot buried and the visqueen 8 foot wide just sticks out of the ground. We have a lot of clay up here and I am at 900 foot level.
I better not mention the builders name that I worked for down in homer then because he had us build several little pole barns / garages at 4 foot depth in sonotubes of east end road. This was last summer and I didn't stay long enough to hear how these have held up over the long term. They do have lots of heaving problems down there due to the clayey content of the soil. The guy that does the helical pier installs down there is a friend on mine and fixes many heaved posts. Anyways, thanks for the input. Maybe I have to re think this.... My auger is only 4 feet I may have to get a backhoe. I would love to use the helical piers but they are $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: