U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 04:46 AM

14 posts, read 39,438 times

Advertisements

I am planning on going on a research stay at University of Alaska at Fairbanks. It's gonna last approx. 2 months from end of July to mid of September, and I'm gonna be accompanied by my wife and then 1.5-year-old daughter.

Any recommendations concerning a place to stay? Of course, we need a kitchen, but I'd also like amenities like dishwasher, TV, internet, and maybe even two bedrooms. And it would be good, if the place were conveniently located (on the one hand: close to UAF campus, on the other hand safe and close to places where my family can spend their days when I'm at work).

Any tipps are appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 PM

955 posts, read 831,307 times
on Anchorage news tonight they said UAF if planning a $20million cutback. Hope this wont effect you.
http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/univer...udget/34440018

Last edited by Music_Man; 07-30-2015 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 07-31-2015, 05:05 PM

17,489 posts, read 31,256,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
on Anchorage news tonight they said UAF if planning a $20million cutback. Hope this wont effect you.
University of Alaska Fairbanks cuts $20 million from budget | Local News - KTUU.com Anchorage
I imagine that the OP's wages are already covered by the research institution that is sending him to UAF. I can only assume that the OP is coming over in 2016.

There is housing available during the summer months, from May through mid August (Cutler housing complex). By mid August all the Cutler houses are being occupied by students. Most houses at UAF don't have dishwashers, but a few do (On Chandalar and Tanana Loop), and all have kitchens. I would advice the OP to contact Residence Life at UAF (just search UAF, and then Residence Life).

That said:

a. It is too soon to make plans for housing at UAF. The OP should do that before May 2016, just before graduation takes place and the summer vacation begins.

b. If he starts looking for a house by the Spring 2016, he may be able to rent a house a short driving distance from UAF.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-31-2015 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 AM

14 posts, read 39,438 times
Many thanks for the detailed reply, RayinAK. Indeed my stay will 100% be paid by my home institution. My only worries are a nice environment for my family during the stay so they can enjoy the time when I'm at work.

UAF Residence Life sounds like an interesting option. My worries here are that our stay will be mainly in August (plus last week of July and first week of September), so I don't know whether there are options available. From what I've googled so far, Hess Village sounds OK, but anything will be good, which has at least some standard and an environment for my family to spend their time.

Still, I hope the budget cut won't affect university life to much in general...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: