U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,559 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we will be back in AK on Sept 1st, I am working at Greely for the first time. I am looking to see if anyone knows of a 3+ bed 2 bath for a reasonable rent in the area, I will travel up to 45 minutes if needs be. We have been to the area and when we took our last look a couple months ago there were quite a few openings for rent but now all the sudden it seems the supply is dried up. I am looking to stay at 1500 or less.

Also is there trash service in Delta or do we just take it to the dump ourselves?

Last what is an average electric bill for a three bed house with a gaggle of kids?

Many Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 03:04 AM

5,760 posts, read 4,082,916 times
There aren't communities in the 45 minute range of Delta/Greely, so you probably won't have much of a commute unless you live in an off-grid cabin way back in the forest or something. It's not impossible to find something in that price range, but you'll have to look hard and get lucky to find something that big in that price range that's in decent shape and decently energy efficient - rents tend to be quite high there unless you know a guy or whatever, so if something is being offered comparatively cheap to a random newbie, there's probably a good reason it's comparatively cheap, and you'd be well advised to find out why before you move in. There's a couple of realtors in the area, and also a webpage called the Delta News Web that has classifieds.

There is theoretically a trash service but they just got in huge trouble with the regulatory agencies and there've been service interruptions, so until that's all sorted you'd be best off just hauling your own.

I believe the only electric provider in town is GVEA, which is also my provider. I pay around a hundred bucks a month - a little more in winter, a little less in summer - for electric for a tiny house where my only big power sucks are the fridge, the microwave, the stove and the washer. Not sure if that helps with an estimate. If you're plugging in multiple vehicles, or god forbid using space heaters, your costs are going to go up quite a bit in the winter.

Personally I would hold out for something has a wood stove, pellet stove, or similar as a primary or backup heating system, as there are fairly regular power interruptions in the winter, and a house that relies on electricity for heating - either for to actual electric heat, or to fire an oil heater - can freeze pretty quickly at negative thirty, forty, fifty. Oil heat is convenient but expensive, wood heat is inconvenient but slightly less expensive, electric heat is stupid. Don't take a house that has electric heat. Most builders have enough sense not to use it here, but there's always a few houses built by dummies around.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:25 PM

Thanks FrostNip, we will be in the Delta area around the first of the month, so far we have two places we want to look at, both are wood fired boilers with radiant heat, backed up by a wood stove, and one also has a Toro? Not sure what they mean by that? If we can get a place less than 1800 that will plow for me and allow me to put up a wind turbine to offset electric use, I would be OK with that.

How long does it take to get to Salcha from Delta during the summer, and winter?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2015, 02:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 4,082,916 times
I'm sure it's a Toyo. They're really popular here. Toyoheat - Direct Vent Heaters - Toyostove

You'll want to do more research into the wind turbine idea before you get set on it, I think. I don't know the details, but there've been a bunch of speed bumps with their use and expansion in the area. IIRC part of it is that the windspeed around Delta is frequently too high.

I'd guesstimate that Salcha to Delta is maybe an hour fifteen minutes in summer. Add on another 10 minutes for Fort Greely, plus time for the gate check. Winter, depends on road conditions. It's not a feasible year-round commute; there are routinely winter days when driving between the Fairbanks area and the Deltana area is prohibitively dangerous and/or requires one to go about half the speed limit if you don't want to end up rolling down an embankment.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
Default 2 - 1 1/4 acre lots in Delta

I own 2 adjacent lots in Delta and I would love to sell them. They are zoned for residential, mobile home, churches, retail or just about anything. No property taxes. I will sell them really "cheap". Please write to me at [email]keithtwinb@yahoo.com[/email] if you are interested.
I had planned to live there but due to breast cancer I had to change my mind.
Thank you.
Delores

Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 PM

17,471 posts, read 31,206,399 times
The OP has to be careful about the use of wood-fired boilers, since he would need a lot of firewood during the winter months. A combination of Toyo stoves and a wood stove such as BlazeKing or similar would be a lot more economical than wood-fired boilers.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Thanks Ray, one of the homes has about 20 cord of wood up that will be included in the rent, the rest is up to me. But they only went through ten cord last year they said. 10 of it is ready the other 10 is still in 8 ft lengths

Old 08-18-2015, 12:09 AM

17,471 posts, read 31,206,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwoodsWriter View Post
Thanks Ray, one of the homes has about 20 cord of wood up that will be included in the rent, the rest is up to me. But they only went through ten cord last year they said. 10 of it is ready the other 10 is still in 8 ft lengths
20 cords of wood x $250.00 = $5,000

Old 08-22-2015, 12:50 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,349,680 times
Don't know if you are still looking for a rental, but I saw a flyer for a 3/2 house on the IGA bulletin board for $1500. I could send you the number if you're still looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks