U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:06 PM

20,834 posts, read 26,196,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_3 View Post
Hey...I will switch with you :-) I'm in Ohio. Cold from oct. - april. Then we get suffocated. The older I get the hotter the weather feels. I want very cold and spring like weather where I move too. I never once thought about the heat/humidity/bugs mixed into the beauty of California. duh! your post was an eye opener.
Hot in Summer? Where do you live? Where I live, it warms up by the middle of July. A hot week (80s) by the end of July.

Now, the beginnings of Fall have arrived. Late August is crisp - especially in the mornings and evenings.

No major insect issues. NE Ohio. Low cost of living and your CAC will last forever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,275 times
I should look into Alaska coastal towns then? And recently I heard that Alaska is really bad bug wise. And I don't mind if I move somewhere where there's a lot of rain or snow or whatever. Because honestly, I'd rather deal with that stuff than f***ing heat and humidity. And with bugs I'm like the worst out of all people. Ohio is hot during the summer? And one of you mentioned Nevada..I've been on vacations to Nevada and Arizona several times and it was so hot that I thought I was gonna get sick and die right away. I'm surprised I made it. That was way too hot to tolerate. I don't know how people live there. But there's an area over there that's like the opposite of that?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:23 PM

3,314 posts, read 1,756,220 times
Northern Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:28 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,369,076 times
Arizona and Especially Nevada can get surprisingly cold. It's all about elevation especially in Arizona. Temps of 20 below with crazy snowstorms are common in northern Nevada. Flagstaff, which was mentioned is at ~7,000 feet compared to Phoenix at ~1,000 feet elevation.

If I was looking for Snow, little to no bugs, no extreme heat and lack of humidity, a place like Flagstaff AZ (or anywhere in the mountain west/ southwest with similar elevation, would be tough to beat.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,119,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hot in Summer? Where do you live? Where I live, it warms up by the middle of July. A hot week (80s) by the end of July.

Now, the beginnings of Fall have arrived. Late August is crisp - especially in the mornings and evenings.

No major insect issues. NE Ohio. Low cost of living and your CAC will last forever.
"CAC" = Common Access Card?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,035,986 times
Wisconsin? Forget it. Its heaven for bugs, especially mosquitoes. It also can be very humid as humid air comes up from the south or off Lake Superior. I'm looking for the same. Our next place to check out is WY. and Idaho.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,887,683 times
I never heard of a place that is inhabited by humans that doesn't have bugs. Bugs are just a part of the culture in the United States. Ants and picnics naturally go together. Everybody knows that. Bugs are everywhere. You can't escape them. Bugs are for the birds, literally. Thats one of the main reasons why they exist. Both bugs and humans are a part of the nature of the earth.

If you're in California you might want to think long and hard before you move to a place like Alaska. A place like Michigan. Or Minnesota or New Hampshire isn't going to be nowhere near the culture shock that Alaska surely will be. Alaska is a whole different ballgame. If you don't like the extreme heat of the desert southwest, there's a pretty good chance you won't like the extreme cold, the extreme darkness or the extreme isolation of Alaska. Having to deal with the extreme cold, darkness and isolation everyday is going to require a lot more of your personal time and eneergy just in order to survive.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:00 PM

17,572 posts, read 31,298,114 times
Don't forget that it gets very hot in the interior of Alaska during the summer months. Yes, summers are short, but quite hot most times.

One of the primary reasons for all the bugs in the interior all the way to Prudoe and any of the coastal areas with flat lands is not because of the cold, but because the low lands have a lot of swamps and permafrost for bugs to thrive. On top of that, we have large herds of caribou crisscrossing across the interior and coastlines (lots of fresh bug food)

Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 AM

28,813 posts, read 31,486,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_3 View Post
Hey...I will switch with you :-) I'm in Ohio. Cold from oct. - april. Then we get suffocated. The older I get the hotter the weather feels. I want very cold and spring like weather where I move too. I never once thought about the heat/humidity/bugs mixed into the beauty of California. duh! your post was an eye opener.
The bugs in most parts of CA are not that bad. Neither is the heat/humidity. The hot parts of CA can be very hot, but are typically not humid. The OP is spoiled. He doesn't know what the rest of the U.S. is like.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 AM

28,813 posts, read 31,486,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Arizona and Especially Nevada can get surprisingly cold. It's all about elevation especially in Arizona. Temps of 20 below with crazy snowstorms are common in northern Nevada. Flagstaff, which was mentioned is at ~7,000 feet compared to Phoenix at ~1,000 feet elevation.

If I was looking for Snow, little to no bugs, no extreme heat and lack of humidity, a place like Flagstaff AZ (or anywhere in the mountain west/ southwest with similar elevation, would be tough to beat.
Also, Santa Fe, New Mexico, which has a climate similar to Flagstaff, AZ (same elevation and latitude), although I think it's a bit drier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks