U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:30 AM

195 posts, read 222,358 times

Advertisements

As someone who has lived in both Alaska and Michigan, I can tell you that not all of your criteria are going to be met in a single area. Alaska has horrible bugs and a very high cost of living. Humidity isn't something that is often associated with Alaska, but in the SE it is a very real issue. I have to run a dehumidifier year round (and constantly empty it) in order to keep things from getting damp. Many of the houses in SE AK, and all over the state, are older and humidity/dampness tends to be an issue.

Michigan has a much lower COL than Alaska, but the bugs are still pretty nasty. I have family in SW MI and their bugs aren't nearly as bad as they can get at my house in NW MI. Then again, it is a trade-off because SW MI gets much hotter summers with higher humidity. Wisconsin is very similar and you'll face similar issues with the northern vs. southern parts of it too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 05:06 AM

963 posts, read 505,456 times
For someone coming from California, the cost of living in Alaska would probably be a piece of cake. Alaska is expensive, but California's COL is higher.

As others have said, Alaska has many bugs and mosquitoes though, particularly during the summer.

As far as humidity goes, the western region, the interior region, and the north slope are sometimes dry, so Alaska may not get a lot of humidity, at least not in the regions I mentioned.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:28 AM

681 posts, read 1,011,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
For someone coming from California, the cost of living in Alaska would probably be a piece of cake. Alaska is expensive, but California's COL is higher.
Yeah well....when you're paying over $6 for a gallon of gas or $11 for a gallon of milk get back to us.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:58 PM

963 posts, read 505,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Yeah well....when you're paying over $6 for a gallon of gas or $11 for a gallon of milk get back to us.
I was going by housing/rent costs. Alaska's average house price is about half that of California.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:25 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,100,693 times
Alaska's average house is covered in tyvek.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:06 PM

15,598 posts, read 36,514,318 times
Tyvek goes well with blue tarps!

Old 09-12-2015, 12:26 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,100,693 times
That's what we call exterior decoration

Old 09-12-2015, 03:28 AM

955 posts, read 832,197 times
Gotta cover up all the old junk!

Old 09-12-2015, 07:46 AM

195 posts, read 222,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Yes, California may have higher housing costs, but you are still likely to pay $900-$1,000/month for a studio or 1 bedroom with no utilities included in Alaska. On top of that, have you ever heated a home in Alaska in the middle of winter? I'd say our heating costs more than make up for the housing difference. COL isn't just determined by housing costs either. You have to take into consideration goods, which can cost $10 for a gallon of milk or $12 for a bag of MM's in the villages. Even in a city, like Juneau, there are some big cost differences happening. Cost of goods in AK isn't comparable to CA and will be a shock to anyone. Travel is another big cost that someone from CA would have to think about. If you have family outside of AK the cost of traveling to visit them is potentially going to add a huge amount of money to your COL. My family lives near Chicago and it costs at least $1600 roundtrip to fly there for two people. The Chicago to LAX flights are about $1400 cheaper than that, so that's a big difference as well.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 PM

17 posts, read 25,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Tyvek goes well with blue tarps!
Personally I prefer the camo tarps on my house, and they were cheaper at the time. Also, a can of tar comes in handy when your door frames leak I the rainy season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks