U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 12,032 times

Advertisements

Hello
My family and I are contemplating a move to Fairbanks, could you share where are the desirable neighborhoods?
Im open to living within 15 mins or less from Fairbanks, with cost of gas being high, I want to keep these costs as low as possible. Resale value is important for when our time in fairbanks comes up.
House price range $300k or less

Thank you in advance
CE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 AM

864 posts, read 1,807,293 times
This is a tough question because it really depends what you're looking for. Keeping the price under $300k shouldn't be a problem for smaller homes. In my opinion, the desirable neighborhoods are a bit out of town and up on the hills: Steele Creek, Gilmore Trail, Cranberry Ridge, Moose Mountain, Chena Ridge, Cripple Creek, and probably a few others. Being up on the hills keeps the mid winter temperatures much less extreme due to the temperature inversion, and keeps you out of the ice fog. The higher temperatures mean cheaper heating, and being out of town opens up the cheaper option to burn wood, so this offsets some of the extra cost of gas to commute out of town. Also, in-town Fairbanks just isn't all that nice of a place... Poor planning, little sense of aesthetics, etc.

On the downside, the commute is pushing your 15 minute max - it depends on what part of town you're going to from which hill. Also, though all these neighborhoods are on grid power, they're not on municipal water or sewer. In most areas, it's not feasible to dig wells, so most households have a large holding tank and have water delivered. One more downside to being in the hills are the somewhat steep and winding roads and driveways. Most of the time this isn't a huge issue, even with snow, but if we get freezing rain, it can be a real pain. Four wheel drive is highly recommended in general in Fairbanks, and moreso if you're on the hills. Having a set of chains is highly recommended for those few really icy days.

One more thing to look out for are "dry cabins" which don't have running water or plumbing. People use outhouses and generally shower somewhere in town, hauling what little water they need from "water wagons" in town. Houses with plumbing and septic, but without a well are referred to as "damp," and places with either a well or municipal water are referred to as "wet."

If you want to live in town, really the only neighborhood to avoid is south Fairbanks, and maybe downtown, though the area just west of downtown seems alright. It might also help to notice that the east side of town is dominated by the military, and the west side by the university. That might help narrow things down and "pick your neighbors."

Old 09-26-2015, 11:06 AM

Heathen,
Thanks for the comment. I noticed some nice homes by chena hot springs rd and the intersection with steed hwy. What are your thoughts on farmers loop and that area of chena hot springs?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:13 AM

The area around the junction of Chena Hot Springs and the Steese is nice, and more or less fits into the "hills" category I talked about. Closer to Farmers Loop can be nice, but some spots have serious problems with permafrost, which makes conventional foundations buckle, and drastically reduces property values. It's something to ask about.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:37 PM

2,207 posts, read 2,195,861 times
I'd agree with everything heathen said above. Can you be more specific with what you're looking for?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:51 PM

We are a family of five , interested in a nice house at least 2500 square feet, including or not including basement. Not sure if homes square footage typically includes basement as part of square footage. The other important aspects are safety, good resale value and within 15-20 mins drive tops to Fairbanks memorial hospital.
I like the areas I mentioned due to proximity to nature and space, but would look into regular lots neighborhood if they have the other aspects were looking for.
Thanks for the help!

Old 09-30-2015, 07:06 PM

Heathen
The neighborhoods you mentioned how far are they to the Fairbanks memorial hospital area?

Old 10-02-2015, 11:47 AM

About 15-20 minutes for the most part. Coming in from the west, Chena Ridge, Ester, Gold Hill, etc, is the most direct with the least stop lights.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,092,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usphs View Post
We are a family of five , interested in a nice house at least 2500 square feet, including or not including basement. Not sure if homes square footage typically includes basement as part of square footage. The other important aspects are safety, good resale value and within 15-20 mins drive tops to Fairbanks memorial hospital.
I like the areas I mentioned due to proximity to nature and space, but would look into regular lots neighborhood if they have the other aspects were looking for.
Thanks for the help!
School-wise University West subdivision and Chena Ridge area are the best. Hills are icy in the winter. Without kids, I would settle in the Taku subdivision, one of the most respectable places in town. It's close to everything.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:26 PM

2,207 posts, read 2,195,861 times
A lot of people I know send their kids to Montessori, the Watershed School, or home school... Not sure if those are a options for your family or anything you would consider, just putting it out there. I know Spruce Tree Montessori school in particular is really good. It is accredited. There is another Montessori in town that is not accredited and I am not sure how good of a school it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: