U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:47 PM

2,207 posts, read 2,196,937 times

Advertisements

2007 3/4-ton Silverado. I was told that all four sensors needed to be replaced each time I swapped out the tires. I never looked into it since I would never rely on a dummy light anyhow, but it sounds like this was bad information?

The sensors are for crap anyways. Since I don't trust dummy lights I tested them when I first bought this pickup. I had to let out 45-lbs of pressure to get the dummy light to go off on the dash. Yikes!

Note: this was at a local dealer in Fairbanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 PM

17,471 posts, read 31,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
2007 3/4-ton Silverado. I was told that all four sensors needed to be replaced each time I swapped out the tires. I never looked into it since I would never rely on a dummy light anyhow, but it sounds like this was bad information?

The sensors are for crap anyways. Since I don't trust dummy lights I tested them when I first bought this pickup. I had to let out 45-lbs of pressure to get the dummy light to go off on the dash. Yikes!

Note: this was at a local dealer in Fairbanks.
I never trust the dealers. What I would do to find out for certain is to give Alyaska, or any of the other tire shops in Fairbanks, a call to verify what the dealer said. I am with you on that it makes no sense to pay all that money every time you have the tires changed.

On my wife's 2010 Rav4, as well as a 2012 Corolla I drive to work, all I have to do is to have the sensors scanned, and then the data entered in the TPMS computer (5-minute job). I could even do it myself if I had the scanner, but the cheapest scanner costs around $450.00

So far the sensors on our cars have been fine, and that's is around 6 years of use on my wife's Rav4. If any of the sensors goes bad, I don't have to use Toyota sensors, but any Toyota-compatible sensors from Tirerack (online) or any other of the tire shops in town. The sensors cost around $170.00 for four, as long as I don't buy it from the dealer, which is a big ripoff.

Right now I am ignoring the TPMS caution light until I take the car to Alyaska. I decided to install the winter wheels/tires set last night, because of the snow storm we are going through right now. Each of us has 2-sets of wheels/tires,each with their own sensors. All we do is to swap the all-season set with the winter set, and vice versa. Expecting around 7" of snow tonight, and the spruce in front of my house are starting to lean to one side. Hopefully they won't fall and damage the house or something.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:56 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,348,243 times
Aleyska tire also offers free tire rotation and a warranty for the lifetime of the tires if anything ever happens to them. I actually paid for a warranty at discount tire one time, so I thought the included warranty was nice. Quality company.

Do you guys lower the tire pressure during the cold snaps? If so, by how much?

Old 09-29-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I never trust the dealers. What I would do to find out for certain is to give Alyaska, or any of the other tire shops in Fairbanks, a call to verify what the dealer said. I am with you on that it makes no sense to pay all that money every time you have the tires changed.

On my wife's 2010 Rav4, as well as a 2012 Corolla I drive to work, all I have to do is to have the sensors scanned, and then the data entered in the TPMS computer (5-minute job). I could even do it myself if I had the scanner, but the cheapest scanner costs around $450.00

So far the sensors on our cars have been fine, and that's is around 6 years of use on my wife's Rav4. If any of the sensors goes bad, I don't have to use Toyota sensors, but any Toyota-compatible sensors from Tirerack (online) or any other of the tire shops in town. The sensors cost around $170.00 for four, as long as I don't buy it from the dealer, which is a big ripoff.

Right now I am ignoring the TPMS caution light until I take the car to Alyaska. I decided to install the winter wheels/tires set last night, because of the snow storm we are going through right now. Each of us has 2-sets of wheels/tires,each with their own sensors. All we do is to swap the all-season set with the winter set, and vice versa. Expecting around 7" of snow tonight, and the spruce in front of my house are starting to lean to one side. Hopefully they won't fall and damage the house or something.
Sorry, I meant a tire dealer... American Tire & Auto. Car dealerships are against my religion.

I have considered buying a tpms monitor, but I have a really nice tire pressure gauge and that has always worked for me. I just ignore the dummy light all year round. I know the folks at American pretty well and am now wondering if he quoted me the GM price for the sensors. It could be a part they can't source from NAPA for some reason (like safety).

You know, my cousin has the same pickup and he had the same issue. He went to TDS though... AKA GCR.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:19 PM

17,471 posts, read 31,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Sorry, I meant a tire dealer... American Tire & Auto. Car dealerships are against my religion.

I have considered buying a tpms monitor, but I have a really nice tire pressure gauge and that has always worked for me. I just ignore the dummy light all year round. I know the folks at American pretty well and am now wondering if he quoted me the GM price for the sensors. It could be a part they can't source from NAPA for some reason (like safety).

You know, my cousin has the same pickup and he had the same issue. He went to TDS though... AKA GCR.
A lot of people ignore the light and check the tire pressure instead.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 PM

Ya, I bet $80/each is the GM price for each sensor.... >double seems like the correct mark-up price for OEM parts, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: