U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 AM

17,471 posts, read 31,200,796 times

Advertisements

I lost power for 24 hours last week, but my son lost power to his cabin for three days. Some people are just getting their power back after five days. Last week we had a big snowfall mixed with rain that fell trees on the power lines throughout Fairbanks.

But you should not worry about such things, the landlord will. In reality the responsibility for water and heat is the landlord's, unless you are renting the whole house by yourself and agree to pay for utilities. In an apartment complex the landlord is responsible for heat, and water (hot and cold). Electricity, telephone/internet, and cable for TV is optional, although some landlords offer some of those services as a fringe benefit or perk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 12:33 AM

2,207 posts, read 2,196,937 times
My cousin and his family were without power for five days on the outskirts of North Pole. I lived across the road from them during the big ice storm in... 2013? and we were without power for two weeks. Their area seems to be last on GVEA's list to restore power.

Technically I believe Ray is correct that the landlord is responsible for the heat, etc. when the power goes out but that has not been my experience living up here. When the power has gone out it seems like people find someone with a wood stove or they bundle-up, as was the case in the last storm because it was warm, hovering around 32*F.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb96 View Post
I'm seeing some of these places include heat, water and trash in the rent. But I would pay the electric bill. What would the source of heat be that they are providing? Natural gas, oil, cut/stacked firewood(just kidding)? If they're furnishing heat the electric bill shouldn't be to bad right? How reliable is power in town? If there's frequent outages what would be the average time of restoration? 1 day, 3 days, one week? By the way thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it.
Most rentals are heated with heating fuel, either a Toyo stove or similar or a boiler. You would be lucky to find a rental with a wood stove. Electric is low in the summer and high in the winter. Power outages are very infrequent, but it's a big deal when it happens because it takes electricity to fire most heaters. Keep in mind that heat is a primary expense. If it is not included in the rent you will need to estimate a budget for it by square footage, how well the structure was built, windows, etc. Or, that's what I do, anyways.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
My cousin and his family were without power for five days on the outskirts of North Pole. I lived across the road from them during the big ice storm in... 2013? and we were without power for two weeks. Their area seems to be last on GVEA's list to restore power.

Technically I believe Ray is correct that the landlord is responsible for the heat, etc. when the power goes out but that has not been my experience living up here. When the power has gone out it seems like people find someone with a wood stove or they bundle-up, as was the case in the last storm because it was warm, hovering around 32*F.
Good points. Some people do that. I just keep the house warm with a wood stove and a generator to run the boiler, and the well pump. My oldest son lost power for around four days, and he used an older generator I have to keep his cabin warm (Toyo stove), and to keep the freezer cold.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 AM

Oh I see I repeated myself... sorry, I had shoulder surgery two days ago and apparently I'm not yet thinking clearly.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Good points. Some people do that. I just keep the house warm with a wood stove and a generator to run the boiler, and the well pump. My oldest son lost power for around four days, and he used an older generator I have to keep his cabin warm (Toyo stove), and to keep the freezer cold.
Yep, when I was living across the road in 2013 we just let my cabin freeze up (dry cabin; drained the redneck plumbing and called it good). I stayed with my family so we only had to heat and deal with one dwelling. We ran a generator to run the fridge and freezer, the ceiling fans and the well pump. Running around the neighborhood helping our neighbors kept us plenty busy for two weeks.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Oh I see I repeated myself... sorry, I had shoulder surgery two days ago and apparently I'm not yet thinking clearly.
No problem Ricene.

Wish you a fast and good recovery from the surgery.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No problem Ricene.

Wish you a fast and good recovery from the surgery.
Thanks Ray. So far it has been far more painful than I expected. I am very grateful that I have family here I can stay with who can take care of me. I don't know what I would do if I was on my own out at my cabin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks