U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,909 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job opportunity in Fairbanks (Fort Wainwright) and I've been trying to find out as much as possible about the area(never been to Alaska). My main concern is finding an apartment or place to live. Most of the reviews that I'm finding do not leave much to be desired. Can anyone give recommendations on which I should look into and which I should stay away from. I am single with no kids or pets. Probably looking just for a one bedroom/studio type apartment and would probably prefer a garage but not a deal breaker. Not really wanting anything thats run down but I'm not expecting a 5* resort either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 08:58 PM

17,571 posts, read 31,298,114 times
Are you active military, or civilian?

Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Civilian, but it will be a federal job.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:58 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,207,499 times
Pretty much everything in the greater Fairbanks area is traded on Craigslist, rental market included.

fairbanks apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

It appears that you have already found that rent here is obscenely expensive and we seem to have an abundance of slumlords. South Fairbanks is generally not a desirable place to live. Look at Google Maps find Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. To make it simple I would define South Fairbanks as bordered by the Steese Hwy (Hwy 2) on the East side, the George Parks Hwy on the South, Lathrop Street on the West, and Airport Road on the North. That being said, I lived in that area for a while and I never had anything bad happen to me... no bad experiences at all except for a slumlord and those of my own making because I hated living in town. I would have hated living anywhere in town. I think there are actually some not-so-bad places to rent in South Fairbanks.

When looking for a place to live be mindful of dry cabins. They do not have running water. Outhouse included, haul your own water, shower with the rest of the hippies at B&C Laundry. Also be mindful of whether or not heat is paid, as it is a primary expense here. If heat is not paid you will want to consider the square footage and quality of construction of the dwelling. That being said, smaller is often considered better here, as it is less space you have to heat in the winter. Is plowing included in the rent? If you get a place outside of town, is internet available? Is there a wood stove?

When I was looking there were some kind of cool studio / one bedroom places in the Aurora subdivision (just type Aurora Drive, Fairbanks, AK into GoogleMaps) but I was really looking to get out of town. That area is more like a neighborhood. Would you be looking to be in town or out of town?

Where would you be coming from?

Here is an example of a nice studio... small and kind of expensive:

Perfect Studio Apartment. 420 square feet. Full brand new bathroom. Quiet. Private. All utilities included. Free washer and dryer. Full-sized refrigerator and range. Microwave. Free high-speed internet. Available November1st. Less than 10 minutes away from Fort Wainwright. $950 per month. Looking for a quiet, clean, and mature tenant. Please email me with your name and telephone number and I will call you.

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/apa/5250150551.html

I wish this stated what neighborhood it was in.

For comparison, here is a much larger place for only a little bit more $ in rent. "Badger Gate" that means that it's actually in North Pole:

Two bedroom, one and a half bath. (Bedrooms and full bath are upstairs. Half-bath, kitchen, living room are downstairs.) The first pic shows hardwood floor, but the available apartment is carpeted.Includes heat, but not electric. Has hook- up for washer/dryer. Near Fort WW, Badger Gate. Available October 1. Call to set up appointment to view and receive application.

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/apa/5237563916.html

Last edited by riceme; 10-03-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb96 View Post
Civilian, but it will be a federal job.
At the beginning you may have to move into whatever apartment you can find that's closer to Fort Wainwright, and then take your time talking to coworkers or friends and figure the best place for you. There are apartment complexes that aren't too far from Fort Wainwright:

-Willow Woods (a little farther)
-Sophie Plaza (closer, by Airport Way and University Ave.)
-Wedgewood (on College Road)

Old 10-03-2015, 01:22 PM

I was thinking I would probably be in town. I'm not opposed to outside of town but I would prefer to be closer to fort wainwright. I would be good with an area that felt like more of a neighborhood. Not really wanting long drives to get to work. Just curious how long of a drive would I be looking at if I was on the opposite side of town to get to fort wainwright? 10, 20, 30 minutes? How much extra time should you add for the drive during winter with all the snow? I would be coming from Arkansas some 3900 miles away. Just a hop and skip away. We get some snow which is not bad but the problem is the ice and freezing rain that wreaks havoc down here. I would have fet a lot better about moving up there during the summer rather than winter but it is what it is.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb96 View Post
I was thinking I would probably be in town. I'm not opposed to outside of town but I would prefer to be closer to fort wainwright. I would be good with an area that felt like more of a neighborhood. Not really wanting long drives to get to work. Just curious how long of a drive would I be looking at if I was on the opposite side of town to get to fort wainwright? 10, 20, 30 minutes? How much extra time should you add for the drive during winter with all the snow? I would be coming from Arkansas some 3900 miles away. Just a hop and skip away. We get some snow which is not bad but the problem is the ice and freezing rain that wreaks havoc down here. I would have fet a lot better about moving up there during the summer rather than winter but it is what it is.
Fort Wainwright is located right in Fairbanks. There are a few traffic lights between the front gate and those apartment complexes I mentioned above, so 15 to 30 minutes of driving would be about it. You will have to have your vehicle winterized, and with a good set of winter tires.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:55 AM

681 posts, read 1,011,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
.....For comparison, here is a much larger place for only a little bit more $ in rent. "Badger Gate" that means that it's actually in North Pole:

Two bedroom, one and a half bath. (Bedrooms and full bath are upstairs. Half-bath, kitchen, living room are downstairs.) The first pic shows hardwood floor, but the available apartment is carpeted.Includes heat, but not electric. Has hook- up for washer/dryer. Near Fort WW, Badger Gate. Available October 1. Call to set up appointment to view and receive application.

W/ HEAT INCLUDED!!
It might have a NP address, but it's actually closer to Fairbanks than the City of NP. That area is hit or miss.....it could be a real nice place surrounded by junk yards.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,207,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
It might have a NP address, but it's actually closer to Fairbanks than the City of NP. That area is hit or miss.....it could be a real nice place surrounded by junk yards.
^Excellent point, and true of all of NP.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 PM

I'm seeing some of these places include heat, water and trash in the rent. But I would pay the electric bill. What would the source of heat be that they are providing? Natural gas, oil, cut/stacked firewood(just kidding)? If they're furnishing heat the electric bill shouldn't be to bad right? How reliable is power in town? If there's frequent outages what would be the average time of restoration? 1 day, 3 days, one week? By the way thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks