U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:03 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,345,020 times

Advertisements

Nope not me . My timer is usually when I get up and start the generator at 3 am to warm up the car. I may get the power lines extended to my land next summer.... How long do you suggest setting the timer to come on each day while I'm gone if I go that route?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 01:56 AM

954 posts, read 827,431 times
Easy to find around[in hardware stores] this time of year as they sell them to turn on and off Christmas lights.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:13 AM

2,207 posts, read 2,195,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Easy to find around[in hardware stores] this time of year as they sell them to turn on and off Christmas lights.
Oh I didn't even think of that and I actually just saw them in Home Depot last week, too! Dur!

6.7 it depends on how cold it is and what size vehicle you're heating up (volume of fluids, etc)... I have a 6.0L V8 and I set my timer for 4-hours before I leave. Four hours is probably excessive.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:41 AM

681 posts, read 1,008,064 times
Many places such as the airport cycle their plugins....30 minutes on, 30 minutes off.

I have a vehicle that gets used very rarely during the winter so I keep just a trickle charger on it at all times until I want to use it, then turn on the rest of the heating stuff a couple of hours beforehand....and it always starts. That does necessitate having two separate plugin cords hanging out the front of the vehicle though.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 AM

681 posts, read 1,008,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
What part of the state? What time of year? If mid winter:
SE =just leave it
SC =plug in when you get back
Fairbanks = at -50 forget it or store inside
I haven't had a garage for over 20 years and all my vehicles are outside. If you keep them plugged in they WILL start.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:09 PM

17,470 posts, read 31,186,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Just like a regular plug in timer from a hardware store and set it to come on for a few hours a day and stay plugged in the whole time? Didn't think of that....
Not that one. You would have to buy an outdoors (weather resistant) timer. I usually buy some at Brown Electrics, but I have seen them at Walmart and other stores.

Something like this one:
TORK 15-Amp 24-Hour Outdoor Weatherproof Plug-In Mechanical Timer with Multiple ON/OFF-2 Grounded Outlet-602B - The Home Depot

You don't want a photo-cell on it, just a 24-hour dial to choose the hours you want the timer to power the components keeping the motor warm or the battery charged, and the hours you don't want to energize those components.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,972,772 times
Quote:
Nope not me . My timer is usually when I get up and start the generator at 3 am to warm up the car. I may get the power lines extended to my land next summer.... How long do you suggest setting the timer to come on each day while I'm gone if I go that route?
Duration depends on the size of the engine and the fuel type - diesel or gasoline. to cut to the chase, 3 hours would be ample for any application, that is the amount of time i set my timer for when utilizing my 99' Ford F250 with the 7.3 powerstroke diesel, a very large engine with high demand cold starting. An aside; an oil pan heater is very advantageous in that it allows for much easier cranking as well as mitigating premature wear during initial starts by promoting easier/faster oil flow to moving parts.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:04 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,345,020 times
Thanks for all the responses. Vehicle in question is a jeep patriot with a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. It has a block heater, oil pan heater and a battery trickle charger. Should I set the timer to come on for three hours each day while I'm gone for the month then?

I'm also thinking about removing my led light bar. I don't know if there is a light bar theft problem in fairbanks but with only two Allen wrench screws it seems like it would be pretty easy to rip off on obviously unattended vehicle....

Old 11-06-2015, 12:14 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,516,592 times
Just plug it in.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:47 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,972,772 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Vehicle in question is a jeep patriot with a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. It has a block heater, oil pan heater and a battery trickle charger. Should I set the timer to come on for three hours each day while I'm gone for the month then?

I'm also thinking about removing my led light bar. I don't know if there is a light bar theft problem in fairbanks but with only two Allen wrench screws it seems like it would be pretty easy to rip off on obviously unattended vehicle....
3 hours would be more than enough time. Personally, I would set it for two hours prior to your anticipated return time with such a small engine and crank case volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks