U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:26 PM

17,572 posts, read 31,302,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Vehicle in question is a jeep patriot with a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. It has a block heater, oil pan heater and a battery trickle charger. Should I set the timer to come on for three hours each day while I'm gone for the month then?

I'm also thinking about removing my led light bar. I don't know if there is a light bar theft problem in fairbanks but with only two Allen wrench screws it seems like it would be pretty easy to rip off on obviously unattended vehicle....
Yes, it's a good idea to remove the light bar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,208,102 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Vehicle in question is a jeep patriot with a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. It has a block heater, oil pan heater and a battery trickle charger. Should I set the timer to come on for three hours each day while I'm gone for the month then?

I'm also thinking about removing my led light bar. I don't know if there is a light bar theft problem in fairbanks but with only two Allen wrench screws it seems like it would be pretty easy to rip off on obviously unattended vehicle....
No, there's no theft problem. I need a light bar... where did you say you were parking?

Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,369,076 times
At whatever hotel is the cheapest and also has an airport shuttle... I just upgraded to a 40 inch light bar and it's like carrying the sun around with me. I also make sure I don't turn it off when oncoming traffic heads my way until they flash their brights repeatedly . I'll make sure I remove it though.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:29 AM

17,572 posts, read 31,302,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
No, there's no theft problem. I need a light bar... where did you say you were parking?
Quite funny, Riceme.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
At whatever hotel is the cheapest and also has an airport shuttle... I just upgraded to a 40 inch light bar and it's like carrying the sun around with me. I also make sure I don't turn it off when oncoming traffic heads my way until they flash their brights repeatedly . I'll make sure I remove it though.
Perfect that's exactly what I'm looking for

Old 01-27-2016, 02:28 PM

I left my jeep for 5 weeks in Fairbanks with the light bar on and Riceme did not steal it! I also didn't leave it plugged in at all and it started right up without being plugged in and no dead battery. I saw it was pretty warm while I was gone though. The Hampton inn was great with the free airport shuttle and breakfast to go! Thanks for all the replies.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:04 PM

4,715 posts, read 9,426,688 times
Glad it worked out for you 6.7... I thought you had a Diesel truck and not a small SUV???

My only issue with leaving mine for several months was that I filled it up with summer fuel and when winter hit the diesel reached CFPP...

My neighbor with his 7.3 has to leave his plugged in for a lot longer than 3 hours for his to start. MY opinion is that he has GP issues and I bet if he checked them and replaced them that he would be able to start easier.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 PM

I used to have several diesels but don't currently own one . If I could change my username it should be 2.4traveler for the time being.

I'm in the market for a new used vehicle but the prices up here on decent used trucks are pretty high. I debate if I would come out ahead buying one in the lower 48 and driving it up but that it is a headache in itself, hence the high prices up here.

Anchorage has a much better used car selection then fairbanks does, I may end up driving down there to get one. I'm actually considering a minivan. You can get a mid 2000's minivan with less than 100k for 1/3 of the price of a comparable truck. I would really take a hit to my manhood by doing the minivan thing but with the savings over a truck I could buy a motorcycle to compensate .

Old 01-27-2016, 09:48 PM

428 posts, read 462,330 times
Left my vehicle at a hotel parking lot in Anch while I was out of town a few years ago. It was covered, the car was locked and we disconnected the battery. The hotel regularly does this and we put our name on the stored car list so long term left vehicles do not get towed. Our car got stolen by a street person and they were living in it. The car was hotwired, repainted w/spraypaint and driven over 300 miles and littered with hypodermic needles. When we returned and noticed it was stolen, it was found within 24 hours. We decided to have it totalled because the car wasn't worth much, but I miss my car. It had over 300,000 miles, got 25 mph, and always started when I needed it. Plus had it for over 20 years and am reluctant to get a car that I might only drive a few weeks a year.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 PM

Hey if I would have known you were out of town I would have liberated your light bar, trust me! lol No doubt the major heat wave we've had has something to do with your Jeep firing up after sitting for 5 weeks in Fairbanks. That was good luck for you!

It is no joke that the used truck market up here is the sh*ts. You can choose between slope trucks or new trucks. I got really, really lucky when I found my Silverado. I have priced identical Fords and Chevys since then and they're listed for just under double what I paid for mine. No kidding. And you can forget about buying a Toyota, so don't even ask. I briefly entertained the thought of buying a Powerwagon, but quickly came to my senses.

My cousin recently bought a used pickup for his wife (a 2011) and the 4WD on it went out a month after he bought it. He said to hell with it and traded it for a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks