U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 11:04 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,353,910 times

Advertisements

I never thought of disconnecting the battery. My 79 ford truck also started right up after sitting for 5 weeks.

I actually tried to remove my light bar the night before I was flying out in the hotel parking lot. It was -20 out and I had smothered so much loc-tite on the bolts and they weren't budging. I figured someone would have to be very committed to steal it and left it on.

The used truck market is high everywhere in the U.S. though. For some reason within the last year or so it seems everyone thinks their 10+ year old truck with 100k+ miles is worth $25k+.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 03:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 9,415,312 times
That's because a new one is 50k... And they only go up from there.

That mentality has been working out for me at trade in time. I am probably going to be called a snob here but I only buy new vehicles and will not get exactly what I want if I can't afford it. That way I have warranty. Sometimes we lease too as we don't drive more than 12k mikes a year. I don't like unexpected repairs. A fixed higher cost per month is the trade off.

In a couple more years my current truck will get traded in. Its a 2015 model year...

Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,199,812 times
No way man, not me. I am allergic to truck payments and dealerships alike. I drive the crap out of my trucks and I don't like getting new ones. I find a good one and I hold on to it for as long as I can.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:04 PM

I just don't have that luck.... I tried that used and then went new. There was a period of time that I picked really bad new vehicles which is really sad. I wish I could say it was just one brand, but here goes my list - all were bought new - all were buy backs. There are two of us and I have skipped over some vehicles that we got that were good and we just traded them in which was probably not the best thing to do in hindsight.

1995 Dodge Ram that the motor kept mis firing.
2006.5 VW Jetta rusted within a few months because the factory had a run of cars that didn't go to rust proofing.
2003 Ford Excursion and F250 with a 6.0 Diesel (2 buy backs here)
2001 Acura MDX with a bad transmission (class action law suit later filed)
2008 Toyota Tundra with electrical issues with the pedal, mine problem was it wouldn't go, not a stuck pedal.
2001 Volvo V70 with bad window switch motors because they used a different supplier and they were defective - couldn't be fixed so Volvo just replaced the car.
2007 GM Silverado Diesel that they couldn't keep rear main seals in and the DPF kept clogging.

After buying the new Ford 6.7 things have been great...

Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 PM

^Sorry, bro. I will keep my commentary to myself.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 PM

No prob... I've just been burned too many times on used stuff - with the exception of two mustang's I basically built from the ground up. A GT and an LX - both had 5.0 V8's in them.... I couldn't keep them from spinning out on wet pavement I can't imagine them in the snow...

Doesn't mean that I don't know people that have awesome luck with vehicles.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:48 PM

Knock on wood I have had awesome luck with my pickups, but I will research something for years before I buy it and am SUPER picky about the features like manual transfer case and details like that, so...

Sort of an aside, I am a little pretty ticked with Toyota... I have never liked Tundras after I managed a fleet of them (2008 - 2012). They were nothing but trouble, *constantly* in the shop, and they didn't tow for ****. Before I bought the Silverado I test drove the newer Tacomas and I will just say that they don't make them like they used to. I was really disappointed. Not impressed. I still have my '97 and I have thought a lot about buying one of those Japanese motors with 30k miles on it and putting it into it. I have a hunch that I got one of the last good ones.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 PM

Yep, my Tundra sucked towing and it was a 2008 with the 5.7. Same mileage as your GM 6.0L and with a puny tank I was filling up every 150 miles in the city. The positive is that it rode like a Lexus so it was very smooth and it was quick too. I call it a car with a pickup truck bed. It was also (obviously) in the shop a lot as well, which is why I got rid of it for a 2011 F350.

I miss manual tranny's and transfer cases too.. I miss manual CLIMATE CONTROL as well. Me and the computer in almost anything I drive do not agree even to the point that not in auto mode I can't get what I want. Like recirculate with the heat or defroster on. You don't always have to have fresh air in. ESPECIALLY while waiting in traffic, I really don't need or want to smell the exhaust of the car in front of me. More so up here, because of the cold, a lot of the cars in traffic are not out of closed loop mode so the emission are worse.

Rant over...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks