Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 02:22 PM

339 posts, read 728,776 times

Advertisements

We live on permafrost and don't want to deal with the expense of an actual garage and trying to get it to stay in place!

We have 2 snowgos, a boat, a four-wheeler, a truck and a car. They don't all need to be covered, but we'd at least like some coverage for the out-of-season vehicles. Enclosed would be awesome so my husband would have a warm place to work on them when needed.

He has been thinking about conex storage containers- I think there must be a more affordable/attractive option out there.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 03:48 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
I see a lot of those fabric shelter logic portable garages around. I would get the heavy duty arch shapes one. Been thinking about getting one my self. They start at about $200 and go up from there. They even make them big enough to park an RV under.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I see a lot of those fabric shelter logic portable garages around. I would get the heavy duty arch shapes one. Been thinking about getting one my self. They start at about $200 and go up from there. They even make them big enough to park an RV under.
I picked this one up at AIH....very heavy duty fabric with a heavy duty bolt together frame that can take a snow load.

12'3"w 20'l 8'3"h Ak Series Garage-in-a-box,green Cover [SHL62793] - $399.00 : Alaska Industrial Hardware, Online Store

Old 11-23-2015, 06:50 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,021 times
Good advice above and I would add a caution against the ones made of canvas. The snow does not slide off of it, it then becomes very heavy and can buckle. So all winter you constantly have to carefully rake the snow off the top of it. It's just one more pain in the ass thing you have to take care of in the winter.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
A good think about a conex container is that you can lock it. I have a larger (taller) carport than the one akpls bought at AIH, and it works well. But again, with all the robberies taking place all around Fairbanks and vicinity I worry a little about it, and don't leave anything very expensive in it. My wife thinks that a conex is just too ugly, while I think about how much safer it is

You can set the carport on the ground. Some come with anchors, but it would be a good idea to use better anchoring devices, just in case that it gets very windy. I plan to dig some holes and pour in concrete pillars, not very deep, just to set the anchors on concrete for support.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A good think about a conex container is that you can lock it. I have a larger (taller) carport than the one akpls bought at AIH, and it works well. But again, with all the robberies taking place all around Fairbanks and vicinity I worry a little about it, and don't leave anything very expensive in it. My wife thinks that a conex is just too ugly, while I think about how much safer it is

You can set the carport on the ground. Some come with anchors, but it would be a good idea to use better anchoring devices, just in case that it gets very windy. I plan to dig some holes and pour in concrete pillars, not very deep, just to set the anchors on concrete for support.
Regarding the use of conex containers, you run the risk of becoming the most hated neighbor in the 'hood... because they're ugly and trashy.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Conex containers don't have to be trashy . Granted if you leave it half slanted at the front of your property and titled and painted the rusted out orange color, living in it, while possibly cooking meth, half tattered blue tarp hanging for a door then I can see your point. If they are set up on tucked away level pad or skids and painted a flat earth tone color they can be nice. My neighbor has a barn built out of them . It's not too bad. Don't be ashamed to add clutter to your yards, this is Alaska .

Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Regarding the use of conex containers, you run the risk of becoming the most hated neighbor in the 'hood... because they're ugly and trashy.

Not if you do the following: Build a frame and roof around it, the frame screwed right to the metallic walls, to look like a shed, then plywood on the sides and door, followed by siding. The front portion of the frame goes right on the door, and if you use aluminum siding, you can pain it just like the house. The roof can be shingled to match the house's shingles. A coworker of mine built such a secure shed by his very fancy home near Chena Pump Road.

My wife doe snot like the idea, of course

Look at all of these "sheds," Ricene:
http://www.architecturendesign.net/2...ng-containers/

Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not if you do the following: Build a frame and roof around it, the frame screwed right to the metallic walls, to look like a shed, then plywood on the sides and door, followed by siding. The front portion of the frame goes right on the door, and if you use aluminum siding, you can pain it just like the house. The roof can be shingled to match the house's shingles. A coworker of mine built such a secure shed by his very fancy home near Chena Pump Road.

My wife doe snot like the idea, of course

Look at all of these "sheds," Ricene:
22 Most Beautiful Houses Made From Shipping Containers | Architecture & Design
My buddy has a pretty nice place out off Chena Pump and it had two containers with a roof over the top of them when he bought it. Total eyesore. So he put wood siding on that matches the side of his place. He's the favorite neighbor now, haha.

Thanks for the link; I've researched lots of homes made of containers... I follow the subject. The look definitely goes over better in an urban environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks