U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,930 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about going to UAF for college and it seems like a really cool place! I'm only worried about the dating scene... Is the dating scene as bad for guys as some of the stereotypes say?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 01:06 PM

7,658 posts, read 3,833,275 times
I have heard that it is, if you are a really attractive guy with a lot of game then you can date anywhere but if your relying on a high female to male ratio to snag some slightly desperate women then UAF is not your place.

I have heard of women that come to Alaska to find a man because they cant find a man in what ever area they were in, they claim its to experience the great out doors or what ever but we all know the truth. Then when you go to the bars and such the women develop a big head quickly after arriving here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedude588 View Post
I'm thinking about going to UAF for college and it seems like a really cool place! I'm only worried about the dating scene... Is the dating scene as bad for guys as some of the stereotypes say?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:19 PM

864 posts, read 1,808,053 times
It's good if your idea of a perfect woman looks good without makeup, considers running water a luxury, and can teach you how to quarter a moose. It's bad if you're looking to hook up with club chicks or something..

Old 12-01-2015, 01:50 PM

22,417 posts, read 29,790,961 times
nm

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-01-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM

461 posts, read 447,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedude588 View Post

If you're gross then you are SOL and with a handle like that you're
off to a bad start. Everyone knows that the green dudes get the fast ones so fix it before the word gets out on the Internet!

If you're normal and average then your date success is directly related to your wallet just like it is most places.

However, if you're a real catch, nugget and a genuine mountain man then you will score like no other and will likely require security to keep the ladies at bay. In fact, you may need to disguise yourself to appear more "regular" as a safety measure.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:31 PM

131 posts, read 117,664 times
With the crass attitudes some of you are displaying, I wouldn't want anything to do with you if I were a chick.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:52 PM

574 posts, read 439,460 times
They're idiot fools. You sound like you might be ok. You can go out with my cousin. She's in Seattle.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:13 AM

2,207 posts, read 2,197,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
It's good if your idea of a perfect woman looks good without makeup, considers running water a luxury, and can teach you how to quarter a moose. It's bad if you're looking to hook up with club chicks or something..
I think heathen has the right idea

Old 12-18-2015, 01:29 AM

196 posts, read 143,023 times
My best friend lived there for a short while and wants to go back. She has a few things to say about Fairbanks and Alaska in general:

Everyone is nice. Like super nice. Way nicer than all the other people she's met living in the contiguous United States.
It's pretty when it's not freezing cold.
Fetal alcohol syndrome is pretty bad up there.
Alcoholism in general is pretty bad up there.
They pay people to live there.

I doubt this helps but if you're going to college and worrying about "dating" then I guess this train went off the track before I got here.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:39 PM

17,471 posts, read 31,206,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eascoaswing View Post
My best friend lived there for a short while and wants to go back. She has a few things to say about Fairbanks and Alaska in general:

Everyone is nice. Like super nice. Way nicer than all the other people she's met living in the contiguous United States.
It's pretty when it's not freezing cold.
Fetal alcohol syndrome is pretty bad up there.
Alcoholism in general is pretty bad up there.
They pay people to live there.

I doubt this helps but if you're going to college and worrying about "dating" then I guess this train went off the track before I got here.
Everything you have said, except for the last statement, are true. Alaska does not pay you to live here, specially if you are a student and resident of another State. However, Alaska residents of all ages, receive from $700.00 on the low end to $2,000 on the high end a year. However, since most of Alaska has one of the highest costs of living in the nation, that money is not going to get you very far.

Also, since the Alaska's economy is on a downturn, taxes are coming, and probably a reduction of the PDF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: