U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:27 AM

4,960 posts, read 4,676,718 times

Advertisements

Santa lives at the North Pole, and he sends and receives a large volume of email....not to mention all those elves, coming and going, hiding on shelves, etc.

Had to do it.....sorry. Tis the season!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,293,767 times
I think your idea is awesome

Old 12-04-2015, 12:55 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,353,910 times
No offense to people who live in NP, there are some nice parts, but I personally wouldn't want to live there. It's kind of like a "suburb" of fairbanks, but houses are usually on an acre or more. Most people that live in North Pole do so because they have to commute into fairbanks. I don't know your financial situation so maybe being close to the jobs in fairbanks is a good thing. If I had to live in the Fairbanks area, I'd pick somewhere out in fox or somewhere way down chena hot springs road. North Pole as well as fairbanks also has air quality issues during the winter.

I would recommened Delta junction but high paying jobs are scarce, unless you get a job on base, and the internet situation here is pretty spotty, unless you live right in town.

I'm originally from southwest FL, so I feel your pain. I started coming up here 3 years ago and originally started off in Palmer/Wasilla and then homer and now Delta Junction. I prefer the interiors weather to the rain/clouds of Homer. Florida only sucks when you live there. I am heading there for 5 weeks right now to warm up and it's sounding pretty nice right about now . I would never live there again though. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:51 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,199,812 times
Ya, I used to live outside of NP and I am not a fan either. My cousin's wife always says, "I can't BELIEVE you live with all those WEIRDOS out in Fox!!" and I remind her that at least all my weirdos do is grow and smoke pot, not build labs to feed the masses of the interior with meth.

I am pretty fond of my weirdos out in Fox, thank you very much!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,353,910 times
I really like fox, I don't know why some people give it a bad rap. It is hawaii compared to fairbanks in the winter and also has pretty reasonably priced land for sale. Do they still have to watering hole operating off the Elliot highway? I read they were having budget problems with it but haven't been out that way in some time.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 PM

17,476 posts, read 31,225,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
No offense to people who live in NP, there are some nice parts, but I personally wouldn't want to live there. It's kind of like a "suburb" of fairbanks, but houses are usually on an acre or more. Most people that live in North Pole do so because they have to commute into fairbanks. I don't know your financial situation so maybe being close to the jobs in fairbanks is a good thing. If I had to live in the Fairbanks area, I'd pick somewhere out in fox or somewhere way down chena hot springs road. North Pole as well as fairbanks also has air quality issues during the winter.

I would recommened Delta junction but high paying jobs are scarce, unless you get a job on base, and the internet situation here is pretty spotty, unless you live right in town.

I'm originally from southwest FL, so I feel your pain. I started coming up here 3 years ago and originally started off in Palmer/Wasilla and then homer and now Delta Junction. I prefer the interiors weather to the rain/clouds of Homer. Florida only sucks when you live there. I am heading there for 5 weeks right now to warm up and it's sounding pretty nice right about now . I would never live there again though. Good luck.
A good thing about North Pole is that it is outside the city center of Fairbanks (like a suburb), and that you can have a larger lot around the house. In the city of Fairbanks, the neighbors can probably hear one fart from their homes, since the houses are so close to each other

Outside of the North Pole and Fairbanks city centers one can step in the brush and pee in peace, if working outside, without being noticed by the neighbors

While a lot of people who live in North Pole commute from 3 to perhaps 18 miles to Fairbanks (all depends on how close one lives to Fairbanks), the rest commute in the other Direction, to Eielson AFB since there is a very large population of military members, and civilians as well, who work at the base.

Fox is as far from Fairbanks as North Pole is Besides that, some folks around Fox have trouble with telephone and Internet services, so you have to pick the area with care. If I lived outside the Fairbanks city center, I would prefer Birch Hill, or on the hills of Chena Pump Road. Chena Hot Springs Road is OK as long as you can live on the high grounds close to Fairbanks, but once you drop down you are getting close to flood areas.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-04-2015 at 09:06 PM..

Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I really like fox, I don't know why some people give it a bad rap. It is hawaii compared to fairbanks in the winter and also has pretty reasonably priced land for sale. Do they still have to watering hole operating off the Elliot highway? I read they were having budget problems with it but haven't been out that way in some time.
All depends where in Fox you live. If you live anywhere on a hill in Fox, then the temperature is slightly warmer during the winter. But lets say that you live anywhere around the Turtle Club, then it is very cold. The problem in Fox is that there is a large percentage of arsenic in the ground water. I don't know the reasons why, but all those piles of gravel around Fox are mine tailings. One has to either haul water from the "watering hole," or have a very expensive water filtering system.

About arsenic in the drinking water, one can install a RO water filtering system, and replace the filters around 6-month intervals.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-04-2015 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-05-2015, 01:50 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,199,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All depends where in Fox you live. If you live anywhere on a hill in Fox, then the temperature is slightly warmer during the winter. But lets say that you live anywhere around the Turtle Club, then it is very cold. The problem in Fox is that there is a large percentage of arsenic in the ground water. I don't know the reasons why, but all those piles of gravel around Fox are mine tailings. One has to either haul water from the "watering hole," or have a very expensive water filtering system.

About arsenic in the drinking water, one can install a RO water filtering system, and replace the filters around 6-month intervals.
You just said the problem, dude. Everyone I know gets their water delivered.... I don't know anyone with well water.

Whenever I drive home in the daylight and can see the hills I look upon them longingly... they look so toasty warm while my place is so darned cold! But hey, there ain't NOTHIN' colder than the Nordale Flats outside of NP!!!!

Old 12-05-2015, 03:11 AM

5,762 posts, read 4,088,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A good thing about North Pole is that it is outside the city center of Fairbanks (like a suburb), and that you can have a larger lot around the house.
Yeah, if what you dream of is a great big flat lot of scrub with no view

Old 12-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, if what you dream of is a great big flat lot of scrub with no view
I spend a lot of time around the flats in North Pole, all the way to Delta junction and the flat areas aren't that bad depending on what you want for a view:

Lakes

A flat open area

Brush

Mush in the brush

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks