Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:10 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
I would get better tires. I would have an engine block heater installed. Debating weather oil pan, trans, and batter warmers are worth it. The car is paid for.
I was doing research on tires. I found out that studded tires are only legal in Alaska at certain times of year.

U.S. metal-studded snow tire regulations

Happy New Years.
Once more. All you need is a really good set of all weather tires. Studded would be great, but only good for winter and even then they are better suited when there is ice and not really snow. Block heater isn't necessary needed but I'd get it. That's it. The rest of the stuff you won't need in anchorage. Anchorage rarely gets below zero. You drive a Prius. What extra stuff you going to bring up? Three suitcases instead of two? An air mattress? We all know you ain't going to be bringing up furniture or appliances or electronics other than a iPad or lap top. How much money do you have saved up? You will need about $3500 to move into an apartment or condo or any other housing situation.

Could you make the trip in a Prius? Sure. Is it the best option? Not at all. Could you die on this trip? Sure. But you could also live.

Would you walk around bear country with just a bell on your belt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
I would get better tires. I would have an engine block heater installed. Debating weather oil pan, trans, and batter warmers are worth it. The car is paid for.
I was doing research on tires. I found out that studded tires are only legal in Alaska at certain times of year.

Happy New Years.
You "would" get better than the absolute cheapest tires if what?? There are other winter tire options besides studded tires, and there are most certainly better options besides the cheapest ever made. You are here asking us all sorts of inane questions. Why not ask us some important ones before you went off and did something stupid? Oh well, too late now!

Are you telling me that you're getting a block heater installed but nothing else? Awesome. You have it all figured out. What do you need us for??

Yeah, you already told us that your little rollerskate car is paid for. I told you to go trade it in for a Subaru and you ignored me.

Good luck with all that.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Google will keep you from asking stupid questions too.
Music_Man:

Here is a link that I get a lot of use out of. You probably won't win any new friends with it, but somehow I don't think you care much

Let me google that for you

Enjoy!!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:05 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Very nice! And you are correct I don't care. I did get chewed out for telling some one to use google a few months ago but I didn't stop trying to get the idiots to use what is available! I figure that if I can find info at 74, these damn kids should be able to too!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Lets encourage him to try and maybe he will wipe himself out in Canada.
Just let Darwin do all the heavy lifting. I see how you are.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:38 AM

It worked very well when it was 1350 miles of dirt road, then they had to go and pave it.
Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:42 AM

I would imagine the Steese worked much better before they got all clever and paved it, too!

Happy New Year to you too!!!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:55 AM

And the tourist industry wants to pave the Denali Highway as a shortcut for buses from Denali park to Valdez.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:57 AM

Just spending taxpayer dollars and creating more work.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:51 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:

Happy New Years.
The engine block heater should be installed on the block, using one of the freeze-plug holes. But the battery won't be able to start the motor when very cold outside, unless it has a battery warmer, or at least a trickle charger.
http://www.amazon.com/Zerostart-310-...e+block+heater

I you only drive short distances to work each day, a trickle charger may be your best choice. The reason for this is that during the winter months the heater's blower draw a lot of current, and so the headlights. In this case the alternator barely keeps the battery charged. The trickle charger will in turn continue charging the battery when the car is plugged to the outlet.

But since I drive long distances to work each day, the alternator has enough time to keep the battery charged. I use a battery blanket.
http://www.amazon.com/Kats-22200-Wat.../dp/B000I8XD9E

The oil pan heater helps warm the oil a little, so it is very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks