Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 PM

64 posts, read 152,936 times

Advertisements

I have just one day in Fairbanks. Is that enough to see a little of the Steese Highway (maybe first 15 miles), the Alaska Pipeline (I heard there's an accessible place to see it near Fairbanks), Pioneer Park, and (possibly) the Northern Lights at Cleary Summit (it'll be the beginning of May, maybe won't be able to see the Northern Lights)?

It might be possible to spend one more day in Fairbanks, but that takes time away from the rest of the state. I only have one week to see Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula (particularly Kenai Fjords Natl Park and hopefully the Exit Glacier), the Matanuska Valley, and drive the 15 miles into Denali that I'm allowed to drive.

This is the itinerary that I've planned:

Apr 27: arrive in Anchorage (night)
Apr 28: see Earthquake Park, relax
Apr 29: drive to Fairbanks, through Denali
Apr 30: Fairbanks, Pioneer Park, Steese Hwy (first 15 mi), Alaska Pipeline, Northern Lights (if available)
May 1: drive to Anchorage
May 2: Kenai Fjords Natl Park
May 3: Matanuska Valley
May 4: afternoon and early evening available before late night flight back; hang around Anchorage?

I could spend an additional day in Fairbanks and move Earthquake Park to May 4.

Does this itinerary sound good? Any suggestions?

I live in Houston and it's a long, expensive way to Alaska. Don't know when I'll be back. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 10:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
It might be tough to see the Northern Lights in May because you'll have 20 hours or so of Daylight. Heck, right now it's light out in Anchorage until 9pm and its starts to get light at around 6am. It just gets lighter for longer until June 21. Fairbanks has longer days then we do in Anchorage too.

Pioneer Park is neat, I liked it and our kids did too. Chena Hot Springs is decent too. We just went one day for dinner and to soak in the springs (but kids can't go into the springs). There are other things to do there as well, but we didn't plan it properly.
-
If you need to relax that's fine, but Earthquake park isn't going to take a long time to see. I"d try to get going and see EQ park, which is close to the ANC Airport May 4 before I left.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
Earthquake park is so overgrown with trees now that it is hard to imagine how it looked right after the quake. If you look at old pictures of the jumble of houses it will give you a better idea what happened than looking at the area now. Here is one picture of many of the area right after.
http://www.adn.com/sites/default/fil...?itok=q4nGMhMX

Old 04-02-2016, 08:56 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Earthquake park isn't really worth the time to look at these days, it's just a patch of forest. Spend that day driving down to Portage and going to the Byron Glacier, or driving ti Hope and then up Palmer Creek road as far as you can get.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Since you are driving Anchorage to Fairbanks via the Parks highway, coming back I would suggest you take a different route back to Anchorage. Take the Richardson highway Fairbanks to Delta Junction, to Glennallen and then the Glenn highway to the Matanuska Valley. It is a longer drive but much more interesting than taking the Parks highway both ways.

As others have said, Earthquake Park is nothing special. If you do go you will be ready to leave 20 minutes later.

Something to consider is your plans involve a lot of driving. Anchorage to Fairbanks is 350 miles. If you return via Delta Junction it is 450 miles back. The round trip to Seward is 250 miles. The round trip to the Matanuska Valley will be another 100 plus miles depending where you go. Except for the trip to the Matanuska Valley almost all of the driving will be on 2 lane highways. The only plus thing is in mid May the swarm of motorhomes have not yet headed to Alaska.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:13 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Since you are driving Anchorage to Fairbanks via the Parks highway, coming back I would suggest you take a different route back to Anchorage. Take the Richardson highway Fairbanks to Delta Junction, to Glennallen and then the Glenn highway to the Matanuska Valley. It is a longer drive but much more interesting than taking the Parks highway both ways.

As others have said, Earthquake Park is nothing special. If you do go you will be ready to leave 20 minutes later.

Something to consider is your plans involve a lot of driving. Anchorage to Fairbanks is 350 miles. If you return via Delta Junction it is 450 miles back. The round trip to Seward is 250 miles. The round trip to the Matanuska Valley will be another 100 plus miles depending where you go. Except for the trip to the Matanuska Valley almost all of the driving will be on 2 lane highways. The only plus thing is in mid May the swarm of motorhomes have not yet headed to Alaska.
That is an excellent idea. The scenery is amazing between Donnelly Dome and Glennallen, and there is a good chance to see some wildlife by the road. The museum at the University is a pretty nice place to visit if one is interested in such things, and the Morris Thomson Center downtown Fairbanks has very nice displays.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:33 PM

64 posts, read 152,936 times
Default Thanks, everyone, for your replies so far

I forgot to ask earlier: Can I get a good view of downtown Anchorage from Earthquake Park (a big reason why I wanted to see it). I'm not sure from the map that I can. If not, is there another place along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail where you can see downtown Anchorage? If so, how (and how long does it take) to get there?

Does it cost anything to get to any of this area? If so, how much? And is there parking? And does it cost anything? (I was unable to find this info in an admittedly cursory examination of the Earthquake Park website.)

Thanks for any information anyone can provide, and please keep it coming.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:47 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
EQ Park is free... No tolls on roads other than the high price of fuel once you get out of the "cities".

Denali National Park has the standard National Park Fees. I don't remember paying to get into Pioneer Park either. We did pay to see Chena Hot Springs, hot springs/pool. I can't remember how much, maybe $15 for adults.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:32 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Not sure how much of a view of downtown Anchorage you will get from Earthquake Park. If you are driving to the park you will be heading there via Northern Lights Blvd. I would suggest you continue past Earthquake Park. After passing the park parking lot the road bends to the right and then to the left. You cross a very small bridge. Just past that you will see a parking lot on the right. You get a good view of the Anchorage skyline from there.

Google View

The Earthquake parking lot is the one that has 2 ways in and out. The other spot I am talking about is the brown looking rectangular parking lot.

You can also continue on around the end of the runway and you will see a public parking area to the right. You can then walk back to the bluff at the end of the runway. You might get a better view of Anchorage as you are a little higher.

Have not been back to Anchorage for a few years but back then parking was free at all three spots.

Also, if you look at the photo just below Earthquake Park you see a large clearing with what looks like a large green "X" in it. Moose can often be seen in that area.

If you are walking the Coastal Trail goes past all three spots.

If you are looking for more of a view looking down at Anchorage then you will need to drive up to the hillside. Probably take either Abbott Rd or O'Malley. You will be some distance from downtown so don't expect much detail in the view.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:12 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,975 times
Upon arrival to Fairbanks, I would spend couple hours in the Pioneer park, then take maybe an hour long walk in downtown (not farther than 3-4 avenues from the river - and you can even do this on the evening of arrival) - see the Al-Sib monument, a Plaza, walk at 2nd avenue that still bears a hint of authenticity, then head north and have lunch at Chatanika lodge (if it's not yet sold and if it is open for lunch, maybe it's not), then come back south a bit and go to the Chens Hot Springs. This is a really unique place, and the road is beautiful (be careful on it, though, especially around mile 16). Don't forget the bathing suit. I would stay a night there, then brace for that big drive thru Glenn Hwy (Richardson Hwy that goes to Valdez is in my opinion way more spectacular than Parks (Anc-Fai). There are some lodges there, so you maybe instead of a long drive you can have a night rest, and then you will be able to combine this part of your trip with Matanuska Valley part, that will reduce your mileage effectively. Then, if after it you'll have enough energy, you can drive to Seward (the road is windy a bit) and stay in Seward that has way more authentic looks than Fairbanks and a really good seal life center, but you don't have to go there if you are short on funds. You can see the seals and sea lions in the big aquarium there. There are glaciers (Portage glacier, near Whittier, not far from the Hwy) on the way to Seward, but you can stop and see them on your way back. If you are really fast, you can even go see Whittier, but mind the schedule of tunnel openings, otherwise you can be trapped there. Still, a week seems a bit short for such a trip. But it is doable if you can hold the steering wheel for about 400 miles a day and still be able to enjoy the scenery and intake some history.
Richardson Hwy and Seward Hwy are really spectacular, so if you can, don't rush thru them.

Last edited by BusyMeAK; 04-03-2016 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks